Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

Jeff Strickland

"Kele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4cedc8e6$0$999$(E-Mail Removed)4all.se. ..
> PS: I think sometimes it's better to use the Classic style Start Menu. I
> sometimes forget that you might not being seeing everything in the Start
> Menu because the new style (XP) shows some kind of most used list up
> front.
> I'm not switching mine off Classic style to describe it better, but I
> think
> non-Classic style is harder to see what [links] you got and where. Maybe
> also harder to add and organize links too. As with last used (favorites)
> pull-down menus in Word, Excel, etc., you only keep seeing where you
> always
> go and don't see all the other available options. That's another one I
> change to Classic (show all).
>
> The Windows 7 has a very different Start Menu; generally I like it but
> doesn't seem as easily modified & expandable compared to XP Classic style.

I prefer the Classic Menu Style too. MSoft, are you listening????

Kele

What you said about making a short-cut to Windows Explorer...

A must have in the Quick Launch bar IMHO.

A variation is this path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.scf

------------------------------
"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
You _can_ make a shortcut to a folder, but that won't run the program
associated with it. If you have a program called ACME, creating a shortcut
to the ACME folder will not invoke an instance of the program. You must make
a shortcut from ACME.EXE, then when you click the shortcut, the program will
start.

I find it far more useful to make a switch for Windows Explorer that always
causes it to open on My Computer with Drive C selected and the subfolders
showing below than to make shortcuts to folders.

Make a shortcut to the Windows Explorer (you can click
START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES and hold the CTRL Key and drag Windows Explorer
to the Desktop), drag it to the Desktop, or (even better) the Quick Launch
Bar, or both, then Right-click the shortcut and choose Properties. Edit the
target by adding /e to the end so it looks like this
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e

All future invocations of Windows Explorer will start you at Drive C instead
of some mysterious location that forces you to navigate out to start looking
for whatever you wanted to find.

John

On Nov 24, 11:31*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
> > within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
> > not a start menu item)

> > Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
> > following drop down set up:

> > Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
> > Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

> > When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
> > the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
> > everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
> > instructions, the applications.

> > I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
> > it does it properly over the top?

> > John

> Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to right-click
> on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
> and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut to
> the Programs Folder. You can also drag the shortcut to the Desktop if you
> use it often enough to justify another desktop icon. And, if you really use
> it a lot, you can drag it to the Quick Launch Bar where a single-click will
> start it. If you hold the CTRL Key while you are dragging the shortcut to
> these places, you will drop a copy into each of these locations, and leave
> the original in place.- Hide quoted text -

You don't seem to understand. It is because I want it in the same
structure as it was previous as I have already stated! There is more
than one folder within the folder and more than 1 program or pdfs
within those!

This is the structure:

Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

This is as it is now:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nicNoArrow.jpg

You can see that there is no arrow to the right of the Panasonic
shortcut which would then fork to either the Lumix or PHOTOfunSTUDIO
5.0 HD folders and then as per the structure above! As it was
originally before accidentally deleting!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ogramsMenu.jpg

As you can see from the above example the structure of the Programs
Menu folders can go a lot deeper and the folders themselves shouldn't
be actual shortcuts, that is not what I want but it is what I get by
following the advice. I want to get it back to the way it was
previously with the same structure. Not just having the pdf and
PhotofunStudio application as single entity shortcuts. I need to get
it layered correctly as per the structure.

John

John

This is what I get when I follow the advice:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nicNoArrow.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...tWhatIWant.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...WantEither.jpg

It is not within the structure it was previously:

Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

It appears that the only way to get it back to the way it was is to
reinstall the program again over the top from the installation CD.

John

I've got the Operating Instructions PDF file back now within the
correct structure in the Programs Menu after reinstalling from the
CD.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ctionsback.jpg

I've also got Silkypix back but unfortunately PhotoFunStudio HD
couldn't be reinstalled. It complained that the present version is
newer. It also complained that Quick Time is newer than the one it is
trying to install. So In order to get this structure: Panasonic
\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application) back I will have
to uninstall the program completely as well as Quicktime.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...whatafarce.jpg

Can you see though in the first link the correct structure as I have
explained? It now just needs Photofun Studio back in there as well
plus the other options that go with it such as direct upload to
YouTube.

John

John

Now back in the correct structure.. you can see here:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ructurenow.jpg
that is what it is meant to be like. Looks like there is no way of
manually getting it back that way in the Program Menu without
reinstallation.

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 24, 11:31 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
> > within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
> > not a start menu item)

> > Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
> > following drop down set up:

> > Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
> > Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

> > When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
> > the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
> > everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
> > instructions, the applications.

> > I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
> > it does it properly over the top?

> > John

> Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to
> right-click
> on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
> and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut
> the Programs Folder. You can also drag the shortcut to the Desktop if you
> use it often enough to justify another desktop icon. And, if you really
> use
> it a lot, you can drag it to the Quick Launch Bar where a single-click
> will
> start it. If you hold the CTRL Key while you are dragging the shortcut to
> these places, you will drop a copy into each of these locations, and leave
> the original in place.- Hide quoted text -

You don't seem to understand. It is because I want it in the same
structure as it was previous as I have already stated! There is more
than one folder within the folder and more than 1 program or pdfs
within those!

This is the structure:

Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

This is as it is now:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nicNoArrow.jpg

You can see that there is no arrow to the right of the Panasonic
shortcut which would then fork to either the Lumix or PHOTOfunSTUDIO
5.0 HD folders and then as per the structure above! As it was
originally before accidentally deleting!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ogramsMenu.jpg

As you can see from the above example the structure of the Programs
Menu folders can go a lot deeper and the folders themselves shouldn't
be actual shortcuts, that is not what I want but it is what I get by
following the advice. I want to get it back to the way it was
previously with the same structure. Not just having the pdf and
PhotofunStudio application as single entity shortcuts. I need to get
it layered correctly as per the structure.

John

<JS>
One does not access a folder from the Program Menu. One uses the Program
Menu to access a PROGRAM.

What you are saying is nonsensical.

If you want to click START>ALL PROGRAMS> to start acme.exe, then you can put
acme.exe into the Program Folder, or put a shortcut to acme.exe into the
Program Folder. You do not but the Acme Folder into the Program Folder.

Your file structure should be c:\Program files\Acme Program, but the PROGRAM
FOLDER under the Start Menu should list .exe files, or the shortcuts to
those files. If the Acme Program is deleted from the Program Files Folder,
and is also emptied from the Recycle Bin, then it must be reinstalled so
that it can be properly registered in the Registry.

My confusion is that you seem to be using Program Folder (from the Start
Menu) and Program Files Folder interchangably. You should not do that. The
folders are very different.

There is a Program folder under Documents and Settings\<username>\Start
Menu\Programs. This is the Program Folder that contains the .EXE files or
the Shortcuts to the .EXE files. There is also a Program Files Folder that
is a direct subfolder of Drive C. This is where the floders for all of your
programs should live if you accept the default installation location. (Some
Installs will put their files outside of the Program Files Folder, but this
is a technical violation of the Windows file conventions.)

If you have an application (program) that works if you navigate to the EXE
file that launches it, then you should leave well enough alone and simply
put the EXE or a Shortcut (I suggest a shortcut so you do not delete the EXE
by mistake) into the Program Folder that is under the Start Menu.

If the application does not work because the EXE is missing already, then it
must be reinstalled. In theory, if you had the program on another machine
and the program works, and you were simply missing the EXE from your
machine, you could copy the EXE from one machine and paste it to the other,
then make a shortcut and drop it onto the Programs Folder under the start
menu.

If the application does not run when you locate the EXE file within the
program's own folder, then you must reinstall it. You cannot simply copy a
program and it's folders from one machine to another, even if you maintain
the structure you think you want, and expect it to work. Programs have to be
installed so that they are properly listed in the System Registry before
they will function properly.

The menu layers in the screen shots you provided are created during
installation via entires in the System Registry. You have to Install your
program again. If the program actually works properly, then you can ignore
the missing subfolders from the Start>All Programs Menu and just put a
shortcut to the application back. You do not need that other stuff.

</JS>

Kele

John, I may be writing too much, but if you follow along line by line, it
will work. I can write less if just to answer a specific question. So far
it's been explaining all the steps and the fundamental principle of taking
control of a Windows Start Menu. If unsure, ask how to perform specific
parts of this so we can address the specific question, example... How can I
create a folder in the Start Menu? I think we can help with that, John.
Follows is just more of the same; maybe something will be illuminating.

Jeff & I are trying to explain how the Start Menu items are links to
programs. Simply, they are just shortcuts. If you create shortcuts in your
Browser and go as far as creating folders and grouping your Internet
shortcuts into those folders, it's no different with the Start Menu.

[rehash] It's possible, therefore, to create (or recreate) the "structure"
of anything in the Start Menu. I previously explained how to go to the
Start Menu in Windows Explorer. If you tried that, you can see how easy it
is to manipulate. Also explained was that by going to a program's installed
directory on your computer (c:\Program Files\...) you can create shortcuts
to any piece of the program; that includes *.exe, and the help.pdf files if
that's what you want a shortcut too. Put created shortcuts into the Start
Menu.

I don't understand Jeff about not needing folders in the Start Menu. When a
program is installed, a Start Menu folder (program group) is often created
containing a link to the program, a link to the Help file, a link to the
program's web page, etc. Folders and sub-folders can help keep things
organized. But in truth, Jeff is correct. Remember, Start Menu > Program
items are just links, the actual file is located in c:\Program Files\. In
XP, when you look at Start > Programs it's the same as looking at
c:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs

Just one more thing, John... and don't get defensive, it's not uncommon for
me to see similar and it's your computer and all. I was jucky to have had a
geek show me about this subject and it was a revelation. That's why I'm
sharing and this might interest others. Your screen shots are telling. As
you install a program, whatever it places in your Start Menu is what
remains. Who cares about Silver Light so why keep it in the Start Menu?
Delete it. If you have one link in a folder, drag the link out of the
folder and let it go outside the folder then delete the empty folder. Lumix
operating instructions... that is the same pdf that opens when you're in
the Panasonic Camera Photo Downloader and click on Help... Maybe not, but
if it is, why keep a link to it in your Start Menu? Go to c:\Program
Files\Panasonic\Lumix\...LX5 Operating Instructions.pdf. That's the actual
file, the Instuction.pdf icon you wanted back in the Start Menu is a link to
it ONLY. Right click on the link in the Start Menu > Properties... that
shows you the path to the actual file location. I didn't read Jeff's last
word for word, but he's right... why install the program again just to get
the Instructions.pdf link back in the Start Menu. If you deleted every item
in my Start Menu, I'd just put them all back by creating links to the files
again.

PS: I made a Start Menu Folder and drug all the Microsoft Office short-cuts
into it - that groups like items into one folder and takes up less Start
Menu real-estate. You can make a Start Menu "Printer" folder and put all
things Epson in there; looks like that would save you at least three lines.
You can create folders within a folder and really organize your Start Menu :

Start
Programs
Microsoft
Office
Word
Excel
Mouse
Silver Light
Media Players
Windows Media
Quick Time
VLC
Games
master blaster
launch program
on-line link
instructions
Bingo
My Programs
WinRar
Steam
uTorrent

This example only uses four lines of the Start > Programs menu, but stores
many links within each folder/sub-folder. Build it your way. NOTE: Don't
delete the Start > Programs > Startup folder... just make sure it's always
empty.

Jeff Strickland

"Kele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4cf36f03$0$998$(E-Mail Removed)4all.se. ..
> John, I may be writing too much, but if you follow along line by line, it
> will work. I can write less if just to answer a specific question. So
> far
> it's been explaining all the steps and the fundamental principle of taking
> control of a Windows Start Menu. If unsure, ask how to perform specific
> parts of this so we can address the specific question, example... How can
> create a folder in the Start Menu? I think we can help with that, John.
> Follows is just more of the same; maybe something will be illuminating.
>
> Jeff & I are trying to explain how the Start Menu items are links to
> programs. Simply, they are just shortcuts. If you create shortcuts in
> your
> Browser and go as far as creating folders and grouping your Internet
> shortcuts into those folders, it's no different with the Start Menu.
>
> [rehash] It's possible, therefore, to create (or recreate) the "structure"
> of anything in the Start Menu. I previously explained how to go to the
> Start Menu in Windows Explorer. If you tried that, you can see how easy
> it
> is to manipulate. Also explained was that by going to a program's
> installed
> directory on your computer (c:\Program Files\...) you can create shortcuts
> to any piece of the program; that includes *.exe, and the help.pdf files
> if
> that's what you want a shortcut too. Put created shortcuts into the Start
> Menu.
>
> I don't understand Jeff about not needing folders in the Start Menu.

I was speaking to what I thought the OP was saying about making a shortcut
to a folder, then droping the shortcut into the START>PROGRAMS menu/folder.
All that would happen in such a scenario is that the folder shortcut would
open the folder, not the program. I agree with you completely that Program
Installation will often (almost always) generate a host of folder within the
Start Programs menu, but my understanding of these is that they are actually
created through Registry entries.

I believe (now) that the OP is using Programs Folder under the Start Menu
and Program Files Folder off of the Root Directory interchangably, or at
least I have interchanged them based on what I thought he was saying.

There appears to me to be some confusion of the purpose and placement of the
Start Programs and Program Files folders.

> [...]
> Excel
> Mouse
> Silver Light
> Media Players
> Windows Media
> Quick Time
> VLC
> Games
> master blaster
> launch program
> on-line link
> instructions
> Bingo
> My Programs
> WinRar
> Steam
> uTorrent
>
> This example only uses four lines of the Start > Programs menu, but stores
> many links within each folder/sub-folder. Build it your way. NOTE: Don't
> delete the Start > Programs > Startup folder... just make sure it's always

Kele

Hey Jeff,

I believe you can make your Start Menu the way you want it. Hopefully, we
helped John (and maybe others) know that it is possible and it's really not
hard. It would take only about two minutes to show but explaining it is
deep.

This response has to do with your last sentence (below). To me the Start
Menu is an assortment of quick access' (links) to the corresponding program
(or file) on c:\Program Files (a common location). We can make a Start Menu
(that's the one at the bottom left of the screen) > Programs shortcut to
just about anything from anywhere on the computer. To edit the Start Menu
items, there are a couple of ways. I think the most empowering way is going
to: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu, where username is your
computer user name or maybe it's admin if you have only the one.
Manipulating the contents is similar to creating folders, moving, deleting
files in your My Documents folder. Only thing is that the Start Menu (the
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu folder) is comprised of links
and not actual files or documents. I read you explain creating links to
John. If we can create a link, we can place it in our Start Menu folder.
Then if we look at the Start button at the lower left of the screen, it will
be there - wherever the link was placed. For the record, it would be unwise
to actually place (paste) a file or program into the C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu folder as that would be a duplicate on your
computer and the Start Menu would have to contend with opening more than
just a link (couple of kilobytes). Most people just drag desktop shortcuts
to the Start button and then to a sub-menu and let go. That's ok too, but
it's not ok for making a [new] folder in the Start Menu. For that, go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu folder and then at the top of
the explorer window, File > New Folder (or shortcut).

My people freak-out when they see me delete anything from their Start Menu
because they think that I'm deleing the program. For example, I like to
delete the Acrobat Reader icon from Start > Programs. Have we ever opened
the program Acrobat Reader or do we click on a PDF document and the
associated program (Acrobat Reader) is launched. They freak some more when
I also delete it off their desktop. And how many places do we need a
QuickTime shortcut? No point in keeping links that we'll never use. Funny
thing I'll share... my brother emails me attachments that are just the links
from his desktop. Of course I can't use his links. Thanks Carol for
helping me understand the difference between a link and an actual file.

An exercise about this subject for XP users:

Right-click on your desktop > New Shortcut. In the create shortcut dialog
that follows enter (paste):
%windir%\system32\RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
Next dialog window, name it "Remove Hardware"

On your desktop is now a link to the computer's dll file that launches the
Safely Remove Hardware window. Drag that shortcut to the Start button, up
past the line and let it go. You've just edited your Start Menu with a
useful link(s). Change the icon if you like. Delete it, move it back to
the desktop or elsewhere; it doesn't matter... It's just a link!

PS: yes, Jeff, C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu [and] Start
Menu (that's the one at the bottom left of the screen) = one in the same.
I think the registry is a translation of the GUI interface into computer
language, so yes whatever we do to the Start Menu is conveyed to the
computer via the registry. You can probably affect change to the Start Menu
by changing the registry... but let's not go there.