Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: meme linking project

Re: meme linking project

Whiskers

On 2010-11-20, §nühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looks like the DEA is trying to do some meme linking with this latest
> "excercise" which cost 500,000$ to do.
> How silly...
> http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...police_conduct
>
> "Northern California pot growers bomb a car and a bus, then take over Shasta
> Dam in a bid to free an imprisoned comrade. It sounds like the plot
> to a very cheesy Grade-B thriller, but it was actually the premise for a
> day-long terrorist attack drill conducted by 20 state, local, and federal law
> enforcement agencies Wednesday."
>
> OBviously, they are trying to tie or associate pot growing/smoking with
> Terra'ists...who as we all know...hate our freedums.
>
> ^_^

Or they thought they might be able to manage an imaginary bunch of pot-heads
more easily than an imaginary bunch of dudes who aren't, like, chilled,
man. Although why they imagine imaginary pot-heads would blow up anything
on purpose, is beyond me. Perhaps that's just so that they can get to
make some loud bangs.

Of course, US gum mint agents who've seen lawless hill tribes in Aghanistan
and Pakistan exercising their free dums might well imagine lawless hill
tribes in America getting uppitty too; and if you're trying to convince
people of the need for perpetual "war" against "something", it's a lot
cheaper to do the fighting nearer home than in some place that's hard to
get to - and "the people" can see that their gum mint is "doing something"
much more easily, and at the same time be even more afraid because "it's
happening right here!" so they'll be even easier to keep cowed.

Somehow, I'm reminded of the time the British gum mint got a warning about
a possible suicide plane hijack, and responded by sending tanks to
Heathrow airport. I've never heard anything about the train of thought
that led anyone to think that tanks would be of any use at all in a plane
hijack 'scenario'.

Although it goes against my pacifist ideals, this is the sort of response
to terrorism that seems more appropriate
<http://www.metro.co.uk/news/55804-bomb-hero-describes-testicle-kick>
(notice that no firearms were involved).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Aardvark

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:32:23 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

> Although why they imagine imaginary pot-heads would blow up anything on
> purpose, is beyond me.

Never seen 'Kelly's Heroes', mate? When Oddball fires from his Sherman
tank and hits the Panzer from behind with a pink paint shell?

no hace mucho tiempo que viv*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, roc*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

Whiskers

On 2010-11-20, §nühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>> On 2010-11-20, §nühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

>> Somehow, I'm reminded of the time the British gum mint got a warning
>> about
>> a possible suicide plane hijack, and responded by sending tanks to
>> Heathrow airport. I've never heard anything about the train of
>> thought
>> that led anyone to think that tanks would be of any use at all in a
>> plane
>> hijack 'scenario'.
>>

> Perception management. Its a nice visual that the "leaders" are on top
> of the situation.

It misfired badly; everyone pointed out how daft and pointless it was, and
some complained about the expense too (although I don't suppose it cost
any more for the tanks to be carted to Heathrow than for them to do their
usual stuff on Salisbury Plain). (Now there's a thought - perhaps someone
in the mini tree of de fence got confuzzled by bad spelling?).

>> Although it goes against my pacifist ideals, this is the sort of
>> response
>> to terrorism that seems more appropriate
>> <http://www.metro.co.uk/news/55804-bomb-hero-describes-testicle-kick>
>> (notice that no firearms were involved).
>>

> BWAHAHA! Right in the chuddies. ANd then the rozzers take his shoes for
> forensics...heh.

Wouldn't want the wrong chap to get the credit!

--
-- Whiskers