Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Small DVB-T set top box needed.

Re: Small DVB-T set top box needed.

JohnO

On Nov 20, 2:55*pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need one to feed my Old Hard Disk recorder, must have timer recording
> option like the Sanyo, Draco and Sommet , Zinwell * does not have that
> option as I found out with Google searches.
>
> But from what I can see all they sell here is no name branded models
> that seem to be full of Bugs..
>
> OZZY seems to have far greater range and with real Brands like Sony,
> Panasonic and Toshiba etc..
>
> So why are being treated like a bunch of idiots, crap units way way over
> priced.
>
> May be there will be a better range when the cut of time comes around.
>
> The problem I am finding that nearly all the brands do not list the
> Unite Size even with the Dealers web site and manuals..

It's probably our odd-ball setup in NZ that limits the choice.

William Brown

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:15:18 +1300, Mutley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 23:05:56 -0800 (PST), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>It's probably our odd-ball setup in NZ that limits the choice.

>>I have read that NZ will be moving to the DVB-T T2 at around cut off
>>day, this is what the UK now uses, so I hope that they use the same
>>standard and not a modified one, so NZ can use standard gear and not
>>special versions for NZ market that must cost a lot more.
>>

>>Info on DVB-T T2
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2
>>
>>http://www.dvb.org/news_events/news/...tifi/index.xml
>>
>>http://www.dvb.org/technology/dvbt2/
>>
>>http://www.dvb.org/technology/dvbt2/...CRs_DVB-T2.pdf

>Can't see it happening here any time soon. We're just starting to get
>penetration with the existing DTT system without adding a new one to
>the mix with a new lot of gear won't go down well. Maybe something
>for the SAT service would be better..

They did it in the UK, DVB-T T2 was implemented this year.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2:55 pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I need one to feed my Old Hard Disk recorder, must have timer
>> recording option like the Sanyo, Draco and Sommet , Zinwell does not
>> have that option as I found out with Google searches.
>>
>> But from what I can see all they sell here is no name branded models
>> that seem to be full of Bugs..
>>
>> OZZY seems to have far greater range and with real Brands like Sony,
>> Panasonic and Toshiba etc..
>>
>> So why are being treated like a bunch of idiots, crap units way way
>> over priced.
>>
>> May be there will be a better range when the cut of time comes
>> around.
>>
>> The problem I am finding that nearly all the brands do not list the
>> Unite Size even with the Dealers web site and manuals..

> It's probably our odd-ball setup in NZ that limits the choice.

.... so I strongly suggest that you (Roger) move to Australia (or OZZY if you
prefer) ASAP.

TTFN and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Richard

On 21/11/2010 5:26 p.m., William Brown wrote:

> They did it in the UK, DVB-T T2 was implemented this year.

To replace a well overdue mpeg2 SD service, so yes a valid upgrade path.
Replacing a h264 SD service, is not really a sensible upgrade.

William Brown

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:27:52 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 21/11/2010 5:26 p.m., William Brown wrote:
>>

>> They did it in the UK, DVB-T T2 was implemented this year.

>To replace a well overdue mpeg2 SD service, so yes a valid upgrade path.
>Replacing a h264 SD service, is not really a sensible upgrade.

Read the specs some 50% better than DVB-T1, has a number of
improvements.

Here is the Fact Sheet

http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_s..._Factsheet.pdf

Gordon

On 2010-11-21, Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But what did they have before mpeg2 or mpeg 4??

The Moving Pictures Expert Group. Read about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_..._Experts_Group

Cunning stuff this MPEGing, One can use any encoder ones likes as long is it
compliant and the decoder will decode.

Note the use of

a) Interested people forming a group
b) to produce standards which are workable
c) as the encoder and decoder are not "one" there is freedom to improve the
encoder and the decoder stays the same, simple programme.

Yes, there were/is MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3, and MPEG4. MP3's came out of MPEG3

Squiggle

On 22/11/2010 5:49 p.m., Gordon threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> On 2010-11-21, Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> But what did they have before mpeg2 or mpeg 4??

> The Moving Pictures Expert Group. Read about it here
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_..._Experts_Group
>
> Cunning stuff this MPEGing, One can use any encoder ones likes as long is it
> compliant and the decoder will decode.
>
> Note the use of
>
> a) Interested people forming a group
> b) to produce standards which are workable
> c) as the encoder and decoder are not "one" there is freedom to improve the
> encoder and the decoder stays the same, simple programme.
>
> Yes, there were/is MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3, and MPEG4. MP3's came out of MPEG3

err, mp3s came out of mpeg 1 i think you'll find. mp3 = mpeg1 layer 3,
and AFAIK there is still debate of the patent status of mp3 decoders
that aren't licenced by Fraunhoffer Institute.

victor

On 22/11/2010 5:49 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> On 2010-11-21, Mutley<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> But what did they have before mpeg2 or mpeg 4??

> The Moving Pictures Expert Group. Read about it here
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_..._Experts_Group
>
> Cunning stuff this MPEGing, One can use any encoder ones likes as long is it
> compliant and the decoder will decode.
>
> Note the use of
>
> a) Interested people forming a group
> b) to produce standards which are workable
> c) as the encoder and decoder are not "one" there is freedom to improve the
> encoder and the decoder stays the same, simple programme.
>
> Yes, there were/is MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3, and MPEG4. MP3's came out of MPEG3

mp3 is MPEG 1 audio layer 3
There is no MPEG 3 standard.

Richard

On 22/11/2010 11:35 a.m., William Brown wrote:

> Read the specs some 50% better than DVB-T1, has a number of
> improvements.
>

> Here is the Fact Sheet
>

> http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_s..._Factsheet.pdf

50% better how? 50% less shortland street reruns? 50% less music videos
surrounded by black on all sides? 50% less infomercials all morning?

victor

On 24/11/2010 12:52 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 12:06:36 +1300, Richard<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 22/11/2010 11:35 a.m., William Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Read the specs some 50% better than DVB-T1, has a number of
>>> improvements.
>>>

>>> Here is the Fact Sheet
>>>

>>> http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_s..._Factsheet.pdf

>> 50% better how? 50% less shortland street reruns? 50% less music videos
>> surrounded by black on all sides? 50% less infomercials all morning?

> Just think for a moment not every one can afford Sky, I did have it
> some years back when I was earning a Wage but got feed up with the
> Adverts.
>
> Plus wee don't have a good free access to Internet TV, in France you get
> 26 Channels, plus full uncapped Internet use at around half the price of
> broadband here.

Not many people here speak French
And they cut off your goolies for file sharing.