Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > window.close()

window.close()

mcnewsxp

On Nov 22, 4:19*pm, Dylan Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mcnewsxp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > of course then there's firefox....
> > something to do with window.close won't close unless window.open is
> > used?

> Most browsers won't allow you to close a window with JavaScript unless
> it was opened by a script to begin with, and they're not supposed to
> either.

yes, i learned that.
thanks.

mcnewsxp

On Nov 23, 8:02*am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mcnewsxp wrote:
> > the onclick fires then the form's action method fires.
> > how many variations of that could there be?

> <snip>
>
> > so i tried to frame my question with enough info to
> > get the help i needed therefore i don't think your car analogy is apt.

> Obviously more than you understand. Which event model are you using?
> Which browsers have the problem? How was the window first opened. How is
> is being closed? The code? With a button? Do you mean a <button> element
> or a <input type="submit">? How are you trapping the event? How did you
> attach the JavaScript, hard-coded or via addEventListener & attachEvent?
> On which element and on which event?
>
> So yes, my car analogy is most apt.

not if you looked at the simple markup i posted. kinda narrows it
down.

mcnewsxp

On Nov 23, 12:10*am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mcnewsxp"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing innews:icb4ko$pvq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>

> > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:ic8q1c$mmc$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> >> Dylan is correct. There could be countless reasons why you are having
> >> problems which your little fragments just do not provide enough
> >> detail to diagnose. It is like calling up your mechanic and saying
> >> "my car will not start" and then expect a solution from him.

> >> BTW before you do it, posting ALL your markup is not equivalent to
> >> posting a URL from a web server...

> >> --

> > unfortuneately the websites i work on are not public. *they require
> > logging in with UID and PW. *our development sites are internal and
> > require using citrix or other remote desktop or actually being on
> > site. also, i think i described what i needd in a simple enough way
> > that dylan parry was able to answer my question, tho he wasn't able to
> > resist giving me a pinch of grief. * ;^)

> I'm sorry. *This is going to sound rude, but I am on my second 7&7, so
> here it goes.
>
> Please try to write in an acceptable manner. *Use correct grammer, use
> correct punctuation, check your spelling.
>
> You will be surprised at how effective this is when trying to get a
> useful response from others. *It's a matter of respect. *
>
> Be careful, also, to correctly spell a person's name, especially when
> that person was "able to answer my question". *Again, it's a matter of
> respect. *How would you feel if I referred to you as mdacousticgitar?

i'll try, but can't make any promises. you are correct - i am very
sloppy. always have been.

mcnewsxp

On Nov 23, 8:02*am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mcnewsxp wrote:
> > the onclick fires then the form's action method fires.
> > how many variations of that could there be?

> <snip>
>
> > so i tried to frame my question with enough info to
> > get the help i needed therefore i don't think your car analogy is apt.

> Obviously more than you understand. Which event model are you using?
> Which browsers have the problem? How was the window first opened. How is
> is being closed? The code? With a button? Do you mean a <button> element
> or a <input type="submit">? How are you trapping the event? How did you
> attach the JavaScript, hard-coded or via addEventListener & attachEvent?
> On which element and on which event?

the point about using <input type="button"> instead of <input
type="submit"> is good tho.

Jonathan N. Little

mcnewsxp wrote:

> not if you looked at the simple markup i posted. kinda narrows it
> down.

<whoosh> I give up.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

mcnewsxp

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ich4qt$pbv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> mcnewsxp wrote:
>
>> not if you looked at the simple markup i posted. kinda narrows it
>> down.

> <whoosh> I give up.

sometimes it not about everything in the world.

Mayeul

On 23/11/2010 21:45, mcnewsxp wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ich4qt$pbv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> mcnewsxp wrote:
>>
>>> not if you looked at the simple markup i posted. kinda narrows it
>>> down.

>> <whoosh> I give up.
>>

> sometimes it not about everything in the world.

And a lot of people here are (way) better equipped than you are at
deciding when it is.

--
Mayeul

mcnewsxp

"Mayeul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4ced1661$0$22848$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 23/11/2010 21:45, mcnewsxp wrote:
>> "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ich4qt$pbv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> <whoosh> I give up.
>>>

>> sometimes it not about everything in the world.

> And a lot of people here are (way) better equipped than you are at
> deciding when it is.
>
> --

you see, this is the claptrap i was hoping not to have cluttering up my
post. every newsgroup has it's self-important know-it-alls who believe they
own their portion of the interenets and can't resist emptying their
blow-hole when they believe their authority and infinite knowlegde and
superiority are in question. i believe those folks have identified
themselves and they now know who i am so perhaps our future business can be
conducted in a more rational manner (we can help or ignore one another). a
couple of other more helpful folks have given me the answers i was looking
for. that's the way it should always work - i think.
again, i am not trying to come off as an a-hole, but one always runs that
risk when speaking frankly on the interenets. it always comes off haughty
when really it's just strait talk.
if i ever answer a post on this forum (doubtful - but you never know...) you
will notice that my answers are very terse. i give what i like to get. if
it ain't what the OP is looking for he'll say so.
best,
mike

Mayeul

On 24/11/2010 15:24, mcnewsxp wrote:
> "Mayeul"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4ced1661$0$22848$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 23/11/2010 21:45, mcnewsxp wrote:
>>> "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ich4qt$pbv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> sometimes it not about everything in the world.

>> And a lot of people here are (way) better equipped than you are at
>> deciding when it is.
>>
>> --

> you see, this is the claptrap i was hoping not to have cluttering up my
> post. every newsgroup has it's self-important know-it-alls who believe they
> own their portion of the interenets and can't resist emptying their
> blow-hole when they believe their authority and infinite knowlegde and
> superiority are in question. [snip]

It's not that hard, you know. You're asking beginner questions, and some
people will assume from them that you do not have their experience in
pinpointing the shortest path to the solution.

It so happens you were lucky enough that you were indeed in a very raw
case (and maybe even aware of it) so that the 'obvious' answer was
actually the one you were looking for.
You have clearly no idea how that never actually happens.

Merely explaining here. Personally I do think it legit to start assuming
for the raw case, even though it is almost never the actual case. Just
seems 'logic' to me.

There is a problem with this, however. Due to the possible (and very
likely) case you're not in as basic a case you think you are, you are in
essence asking for the privilege to potentially and likely waste the
time of the people you seek help from, while you need not risking to
waste their time.
That's quite an attitude when you think of it.

'Course, you being actually in a basic case for once, you won't easily
see it.

--
Mayeul

mcnewsxp

"Mayeul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4ced57c8$0$20954$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 24/11/2010 15:24, mcnewsxp wrote:
>> "Mayeul"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4ced1661$0$22848$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> And a lot of people here are (way) better equipped than you are at
>>> deciding when it is.
>>>
>>> --

>> you see, this is the claptrap i was hoping not to have cluttering up my
>> post. every newsgroup has it's self-important know-it-alls who believe
>> they
>> own their portion of the interenets and can't resist emptying their
>> blow-hole when they believe their authority and infinite knowlegde and
>> superiority are in question. [snip]

> It's not that hard, you know. You're asking beginner questions, and some
> people will assume from them that you do not have their experience in
> pinpointing the shortest path to the solution.
>
> It so happens you were lucky enough that you were indeed in a very raw
> case (and maybe even aware of it) so that the 'obvious' answer was
> actually the one you were looking for.
> You have clearly no idea how that never actually happens.
>
> Merely explaining here. Personally I do think it legit to start assuming
> for the raw case, even though it is almost never the actual case. Just
> seems 'logic' to me.
>
> There is a problem with this, however. Due to the possible (and very
> likely) case you're not in as basic a case you think you are, you are in
> essence asking for the privilege to potentially and likely waste the time
> of the people you seek help from, while you need not risking to waste
> their time.
> That's quite an attitude when you think of it.
>
> 'Course, you being actually in a basic case for once, you won't easily see
> it.
>
> --

brother, you're making much more out of this than should be required.
i asked 2 questions and got two excellent answers. also got some personality
tossed in, but hey - that's the internets. the two that answered my
questions understood what i was asking and fired off the answers i needed.
can't get better than that.
i was attempting to get the ones who always ask for the URL and have to have
their way or no way to just sort of not respond so they wouldn't get
themselves so upset. and now it's all this...
heh.
i have been making my living as a programmer since before the days of markup
languages. i use many languages in the course of a year. i am not an
expert at all of them, but know enough about what makes 'em go to keep a
roof over head, a couple of cars in the garage, kids in a good school, and
pay for my hobbies. i only mention these things to prevent assumptions.
again, peace.
mike