Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 3D linux CAD software that is free (beer) or cheap

3D linux CAD software that is free (beer) or cheap

Squiggle

I'm looking for a functional 3D cad package for linux that is free for
non-commercial use, or very reasonably priced.
I've tried FreeCAD, but that isn't what i'd call functional, and
SagCAD, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Just need to be able to generate 3D geometry and export to any of the
common 3D model export formats like STEPS or IGES.

Non worried about the licence or availability of source code.

Any tips out there?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Squiggle wrote:

> I'm looking for a functional 3D cad package for linux that is free for
> non-commercial use, or very reasonably priced.

Found a lot of hits here <http://www.google.com/search?q=open+source+cad>.

Depending on what you want to do, Blender has some measurement-type
functionality. And the new 2.5x beta includes units as well.

Squiggle

On Nov 19, 2:43*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Squiggle wrote:
> > I'm looking for a functional 3D cad package for linux that is free for
> > non-commercial use, or very reasonably priced.

> Found a lot of hits here <http://www.google.com/search?q=open+source+cad>.
>
> Depending on what you want to do, Blender has some measurement-type
> functionality. And the new 2.5x beta includes units as well.

Thanks, but i've wasted most of today trying to find something that
meets my requirements.
BRL-CAD and Blender are the top two contenders at this stage,
everything else seems to be alpha version or full priced commercial
software.

Gordon

On 2010-11-19, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2:43*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> Squiggle wrote:
>> > I'm looking for a functional 3D cad package for linux that is free for
>> > non-commercial use, or very reasonably priced.

>> Found a lot of hits here <http://www.google.com/search?q=open+source+cad>.
>>
>> Depending on what you want to do, Blender has some measurement-type
>> functionality. And the new 2.5x beta includes units as well.

> Thanks, but i've wasted most of today trying to find something that
> meets my requirements.
> BRL-CAD and Blender are the top two contenders at this stage,
> everything else seems to be alpha version or full priced commercial
> software.

If you find a free, as in speech, product; remember to donate to the cause.
Authors like to see people this as it means that their software is on a
roll, and needs to be kept that way

Squiggle

On 19/11/2010 6:35 p.m., Gordon threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> On 2010-11-19, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 2:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>> Found a lot of hits here <http://www.google.com/search?q=open+source+cad>.
>>>
>>> Depending on what you want to do, Blender has some measurement-type
>>> functionality. And the new 2.5x beta includes units as well.

>> Thanks, but i've wasted most of today trying to find something that
>> meets my requirements.
>> BRL-CAD and Blender are the top two contenders at this stage,
>> everything else seems to be alpha version or full priced commercial
>> software.

> If you find a free, as in speech, product; remember to donate to the cause.
> Authors like to see people this as it means that their software is on a
> roll, and needs to be kept that way

Nope, hasn't happened, found a free (beer)version of a quality
commercial 3D windows program that does what I need. Bit of a PITA
having to reboot into windows if I need to change the model but still
quicker than pfaffing about with the free linux alternatives.

victor

On 19/11/2010 7:47 p.m., Squiggle wrote:
> On 19/11/2010 6:35 p.m., Gordon threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> On 2010-11-19, Squiggle<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thanks, but i've wasted most of today trying to find something that
>>> meets my requirements.
>>> BRL-CAD and Blender are the top two contenders at this stage,
>>> everything else seems to be alpha version or full priced commercial
>>> software.

>> If you find a free, as in speech, product; remember to donate to the cause.
>> Authors like to see people this as it means that their software is on a
>> roll, and needs to be kept that way

> Nope, hasn't happened, found a free (beer)version of a quality
> commercial 3D windows program that does what I need. Bit of a PITA
> having to reboot into windows if I need to change the model but still
> quicker than pfaffing about with the free linux alternatives.

You are wasting your time, you are on the slippery slope to pirating a
proper program because you are too cheap to buy it.

Squiggle

On Nov 19, 10:15*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 19/11/2010 7:47 p.m., Squiggle wrote:

> >> If you find a free, as in speech, product; remember to donate to the cause.
> >> Authors like to see people this as it means that their software is on a
> >> roll, and needs to be kept that way

> > Nope, hasn't happened, found a free (beer)version of a quality
> > commercial 3D windows program that does what I need. *Bit of a PITA
> > having to reboot into windows if I need to change the model but still
> > quicker than pfaffing about with the free linux alternatives.

> You are wasting your time, you are on the slippery slope to pirating a
> proper program because you are too cheap to buy it.

Why would i pirate something when I've already found a free legal
program that does what I need?

And why would i waste >$4K on software i'm not going to be using for
commercial purposes?

If i intended to pirate the software i would have just pirated abaqus
or ansys and not ****ed around with linux at all.

Squiggle

On Nov 19, 11:13*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Why would i pirate something when I've already found a free legal
> >program that does what I need?

> So are you going to share the name of this program with the rest of
> us?

Creo Elements/Direct Modeling

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:

> Creo Elements/Direct Modeling

Some interesting limitations
<http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-personal-edition-3-0/faq.htm>:
no photorealistic rendering, no extension APIs, only 60 unique parts. And
the file format isn’t even compatible with the rest of its products. Or
anything else in the world, for that matter.

Sounds like a bit of a toy, really. Oh, and you still need an Internet
connection to be able to run it.

victor

On 19/11/2010 11:20 p.m., Squiggle wrote:
> On Nov 19, 11:13 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Why would i pirate something when I've already found a free legal
>>> program that does what I need?

>> So are you going to share the name of this program with the rest of
>> us?

> Creo Elements/Direct Modeling

Freemium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium
Its like eating from those little supermarket stalls with sales reps
that give you mini cubes of their foodstuff on a toothpick in the hope
that you will buy a full sized package.