Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Having problems with APC ES-450 models

Having problems with APC ES-450 models

tedx@area15.??

I've returned two of these to Amazon. Each one I charged for over 24
hours, 15 required, and they still keep punking out with that damn
steady beep. I've been using these things over 20 years and can't
understand that a company like APC is making such crap.

Anyone else having problems with this product?

Meat Plow

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:13:09 -0600, philo wrote:

> On 11/17/2010 04:06 PM, tedx@area15.?? wrote:
>> I've returned two of these to Amazon. Each one I charged for over 24
>> hours, 15 required, and they still keep punking out with that damn
>> steady beep. I've been using these things over 20 years and can't
>> understand that a company like APC is making such crap.
>>
>> Anyone else having problems with this product?

> Have a look in the battery compartment they may be shipping them with
> the battery disconnected to prevent accidental discharge

They ALWAY ship them disconnected.

richard

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:06:05 -0600, tedx@area15.?? wrote:

> I've returned two of these to Amazon. Each one I charged for over 24
> hours, 15 required, and they still keep punking out with that damn
> steady beep. I've been using these things over 20 years and can't
> understand that a company like APC is making such crap.
>
> Anyone else having problems with this product?

Possible counterfeits.
I made the mistake once of buying a camera battery that was already charged
in the store. Damn thing would only last 15 minutes. Other batteries
wouldn't even charge at all.

Problem with batteries is, they might be sitting on the shelf for two years
before being sold. They only last so long if not charged.

tedx@area15.??

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:24:01 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:06:05 -0600, tedx@area15.?? wrote:
>
>> I've returned two of these to Amazon. Each one I charged for over 24
>> hours, 15 required, and they still keep punking out with that damn
>> steady beep. I've been using these things over 20 years and can't
>> understand that a company like APC is making such crap.
>>
>> Anyone else having problems with this product?

>Possible counterfeits.
>I made the mistake once of buying a camera battery that was already charged
>in the store. Damn thing would only last 15 minutes. Other batteries
>wouldn't even charge at all.
>
>Problem with batteries is, they might be sitting on the shelf for two years
>before being sold. They only last so long if not charged.

I think buying from an outfit like Amazon would kind of insure such a
popular product would not be long on their shelves. Not a
counterfeit, either.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:26:37 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:24:01 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Problem with batteries is, they might be sitting on the shelf for two
>>years before being sold. They only last so long if not charged.

> Do you know anything about anything?
>
> UPS batteries are likely sealed lead. I've got a SLA battery that's
> probably 15 years old. Hasn't been touched in 3 years.I'd bet if I
> checked, it might still have a small charge. And I bet if I charged it,
> it would still hold a charge.

I own 3 APC Back-UPS 1000's Bought in 2003. All pass self test. One on
this PC will keep it up for 45 minutes. This is powering an ADM PhenomII
x4 955 125 watt quad core with 3 SATAII drives and an LG 24" monitor.

The trick is in buying a unit that has good batteries. You won't find
that in todays market flooded with cheap Chinese products and
counterfeits.