Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Struts: Book Recommendation?

Java Struts: Book Recommendation?

Steve

I'm an experienced Java/JSP programmer.

I don't know anything about struts. I was poking around on Amazon.
Most of the books seemed to be very old and very large/bloated.....as
well as not being free of significant complaints.

I'm looking for a good introductory book, preferably not to large/
bloated.

Care to recommend a title?

Thanks in advance

Arne Vajh°j

On 17-11-2010 16:39, Steve wrote:
> I'm an experienced Java/JSP programmer.
>
> I don't know anything about struts. I was poking around on Amazon.
> Most of the books seemed to be very old and very large/bloated.....as
> well as not being free of significant complaints.
>
> I'm looking for a good introductory book, preferably not to large/
> bloated.
>
> Care to recommend a title?

Given that Struts is old (I am assuming Struts 1 here!), then
an old book should not be a problem.

I like "Struts in Action".

Arne

David Segall

Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm an experienced Java/JSP programmer.
>
>I don't know anything about struts. I was poking around on Amazon.
>Most of the books seemed to be very old and very large/bloated.....as
>well as not being free of significant complaints.
>
>I'm looking for a good introductory book, preferably not to large/
>bloated.
>
>Care to recommend a title?

I cannot recommend it but I am happy to give you "Struts The Complete
Reference" if you pay the postage. It covers Struts 1.2 and is the
first edition of this <http://www.jamesholmes.com/StrutsTCR/>. It is
large (over 500 pages) and paying the postage may too expensive
because I am in Australia. The reason I can't recommend it is because
I had a brief look at the book and fled to JSF.

Email me at david at segall . net if you feel like it.

Lew

David Segall wrote:
> I cannot recommend it but I am happy to give you "Struts The Complete
> Reference" if you pay the postage. It covers Struts 1.2 and is the
> first edition of this<http://www.jamesholmes.com/StrutsTCR/>. It is
> large (over 500 pages) and paying the postage may too expensive
> because I am in Australia. The reason I can't recommend it is because
> I had a brief look at the book and fled to JSF.

Fair dinkum, mate. JSF is superior IMO also.

--
Lew

Steve

On Nov 17, 7:43*pm, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Given that Struts is old (I am assuming Struts 1 here!), then
> an old book should not be a problem.
>
> I like "Struts in Action".

I'm concerned that an older book may not cover new developments in
struts. Is this a valid concern with "Struts in Action"?

Also is the proper name "Jakarta Struts" versus "Java Struts"?

Thanks Arne

Steve

Steve

On Nov 18, 9:01*am, David Segall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I cannot recommend it but I am happy to give you "Struts The Complete
> Reference" if you pay the postage.

LOL! Thanks. I feel you pain. I have a few textbooks like that
myself. Some of them are being used to boost up my monitor. One of
these days I will schlep them to a recycling center so I don't have to
feel guilty for throwing out a book .

> I had a brief look at the book and fled to JSF.

What is JSF? Java Sever F____ ?

Thanks

Steve

Arne Vajh°j

On 18-11-2010 16:09, Steve wrote:
> On Nov 17, 7:43 pm, Arne Vajh°j<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Given that Struts is old (I am assuming Struts 1 here!), then
>> an old book should not be a problem.
>>
>> I like "Struts in Action".

> I'm concerned that an older book may not cover new developments in
> struts. Is this a valid concern with "Struts in Action"?

Still assuming Struts 1, then 1.2.x is from 2004 and 1.3.x is
from 2006.

Not much new development.

> Also is the proper name "Jakarta Struts" versus "Java Struts"?

Apache Struts

http://struts.apache.org/

Arne

Arne Vajh├Şj

On 18-11-2010 09:07, Lew wrote:
> David Segall wrote:
>> I cannot recommend it but I am happy to give you "Struts The Complete
>> Reference" if you pay the postage. It covers Struts 1.2 and is the
>> first edition of this<http://www.jamesholmes.com/StrutsTCR/>. It is
>> large (over 500 pages) and paying the postage may too expensive
>> because I am in Australia. The reason I can't recommend it is because
>> I had a brief look at the book and fled to JSF.

> Fair dinkum, mate. JSF is superior IMO also.

It is a lot newer, so if it were not, then somebody would
really have ****ed up.

But there is still a lot of Struts code out there that need
to be maintained.

Arne

Lew

<http://lmgtfy.com/?q=JSF+Java+Server>

--
Lew

Steve

On Nov 19, 12:32*am, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > What is JSF? * Java Sever F____ ?

> <http://lmgtfy.com/?q=JSF+Java+Server>

Funny!, I'm totally using that site and I'm not giving you credit.
Who would of thought, an elegant way of RTFMing people

It looks like the same idea, just a different implementation.

I worked for a company that sort of rolled their own. A dispatcher
servlet, taking requests, reading a database table, then deciding to
send the user to a java class, JSP or HTML page as a response.

That is what struts and JSF seem like.