Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > What's the name of this technique?

What's the name of this technique?

Joe Snodgrass

What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

TIA

Lew

On Nov 17, 9:50*am, Joe Snodgrass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
> that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

"Violation of the Terms of Service".

Seriously, it's called "screen scraping", and it doesn't have to be
someone else's web site or even a web site.

--
Lew

markspace

On 11/17/2010 6:50 AM, Joe Snodgrass wrote:

> What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
> that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

Screen scraping
Web Crawling
Spider
Robot

Would all be appropriate names for such a program. C.f. "robots.txt"
file for a website, to keep automated robots pointed where they're
supposed to go, as well as the sitemap.xml file for the opposite effect.

Arved Sandstrom

markspace wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 6:50 AM, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
>>
>> What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
>> that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves
>> the responses, through the interface that people use to surf the
>> site?

> Screen scraping
> Web Crawling
> Spider
> Robot
>
> Would all be appropriate names for such a program. C.f. "robots.txt"
> file for a website, to keep automated robots pointed where they're
> supposed to go, as well as the sitemap.xml file for the opposite
> effect.

Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique "browsing".
Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
do...

AHS
--
Hanging one scoundrel, it appears, does not deter the next. Well, what
of it? The first one is at least disposed of. -- H.L. Mencken

markspace

On 11/17/2010 2:07 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique "browsing".
> Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
> do...

Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
interactive tool. Whether you're browsing the web or inspecting objects
on the heap, it's "browsing" only if done interactively.

....just me being pedantic also....

Arne Vajh°j

On 17-11-2010 18:52, markspace wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 2:07 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique
>> "browsing".
>> Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
>> do...

> Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
> I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
> interactive tool. Whether you're browsing the web or inspecting objects
> on the heap, it's "browsing" only if done interactively.

I am pretty sure that was what he intended to ask for.

But he did ask for "through the interface that people use to surf the
site" !

Arne

David Lamb

On 17/11/2010 6:52 PM, markspace wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 2:07 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>
>> Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique
>> "browsing".
>> Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
>> do...

> Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
> I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
> interactive tool.
>
> ...just me being pedantic also....

Yeah -- it's more like a library's taking of inventory than a patron
"browsing" through the books.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:50:23 -0800 (PST), Joe Snodgrass
said :

>What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
>that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

webscaping, screenscraping, useragent

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/screenscraping.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Finding a bug is a sign you were asleep a the switch when coding. Stop debugging, and go back over your code line by line.

Arne Vajh°j

On 18-11-2010 23:27, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:50:23 -0800 (PST), Joe Snodgrass
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :
>>
>> What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
>> that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

> webscaping, screenscraping, useragent

I guess 1.5 (1 correct and 1 misspelled) out of 3
is considered good enough these days ...

Arne

code learner code learner is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snodgrass
What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

TIA

I guess you are not talking about
"cross site scripting"