Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Look Out Lady Gaga

Re: Look Out Lady Gaga

tony cooper

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:33:28 -0600, Dudley Hanks
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As for the various styles and their importance, here we can
>agree. That is why, in addition to the material supporting my
>preference, I also included the way Shakespeare did it, which
>agreed more closely with your approach.

I don't think there were style manuals around when Willy was writing.
Chaucer, who also penned a few line before the style manuals came
about, often used a version of "people that". Good thing there were
no newsgroups then because the "people who" adherents would jump him.
I can't find any specific rule that says that "people that" is
incontrovertibly wrong.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony_cooper213
@earthlink.net says...

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:33:28 -0600, Dudley Hanks
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >As for the various styles and their importance, here we can
> >agree. That is why, in addition to the material supporting my
> >preference, I also included the way Shakespeare did it, which
> >agreed more closely with your approach.

> I don't think there were style manuals around when Willy was writing.
> Chaucer, who also penned a few line before the style manuals came
> about, often used a version of "people that". Good thing there were
> no newsgroups then because the "people who" adherents would jump him.
> I can't find any specific rule that says that "people that" is
> incontrovertibly wrong.

There weren't dictionaries either, the good bard would sometimes spell
the same word several different ways in the course of a play.

Whisky-dave

On Nov 17, 10:45*am, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony_cooper213
> @earthlink.net says...
>

> > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:33:28 -0600, Dudley Hanks
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >As for the various styles and their importance, here we can
> > >agree. *That is why, in addition to the material supporting my
> > >preference, I also included the way Shakespeare did it, which
> > >agreed more closely with your approach.

> > I don't think there were style manuals around when Willy was writing.
> > Chaucer, who also penned a few line before the style manuals came
> > about, often used a version of "people that". *Good thing there were
> > no newsgroups then because the "people who" adherents would jump him.
> > I can't find any specific rule that says that "people that" is
> > incontrovertibly wrong. *

> There weren't dictionaries either, the good bard would sometimes spell
> the same word several different ways in the course of a play.

Never realise I had something in common with Shakespeare