Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Head of armed forces says we are not good enough

Head of armed forces says we are not good enough

StevieO

Another big Surprise...
British forces are all but gone.

@mid.individual.net...
Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2134190.html

anyone

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:

> Another big Surprise...
> British forces are all but gone.
>
> @mid.individual.net...
> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2134190.html

Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the article:

"...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting wars."
"...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be contained,
in an effort to prevent attacks."

Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution, please
do let everyone know.

Desk Rabbit

On 16/11/2010 17:13, anyone wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:
>
>> Another big Surprise...
>> British forces are all but gone.
>>
>> @mid.individual.net...
>> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
>> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
>>
>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2134190.html

> Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the article:
>
> "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting wars."
> "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be contained,
> in an effort to prevent attacks."
>
> Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution, please
> do let everyone know.

Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an hour.

Aardvark

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:18:14 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

> On 16/11/2010 17:13, anyone wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:
>>
>>> Another big Surprise...
>>> British forces are all but gone.
>>>
>>> @mid.individual.net...
>>> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
>>> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
>>>
>>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-armed-forces-

says-victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

>> Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the
>> article:
>>
>> "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting
>> wars." "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be
>> contained, in an effort to prevent attacks."
>>
>> Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution,
>> please do let everyone know.

> Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
> turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an hour.

"We come in peace- shoot to kill".

no hace mucho tiempo que viv*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, roc*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

Mike Yetto

Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>On 16/11/2010 17:13, anyone wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:
>>
>>> Another big Surprise...
>>> British forces are all but gone.
>>>
>>> @mid.individual.net...
>>> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
>>> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
>>>
>>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2134190.html

>> Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the article:
>>
>> "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting wars."
>> "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be contained,
>> in an effort to prevent attacks."
>>
>> Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution, please
>> do let everyone know.

>Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
>turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an hour.

I thought it was an alien with a British accent, a young female
companion and a really weird blue box.

Mike "and sometimes it takes an entire season" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Bucky Breeder

StevieO <(E-Mail Removed)> big surprised this
from out there somewhere on the interwebs:

> Another big Surprise...
> British forces are all but gone.
>
> @mid.individual.net...
> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces,
> has declared that" a military victory against
> al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk
> /home-news/head-of-armed-forces-says-
> victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

Repectfully disagreeing with the honorable Sir David Richards,
but I'd hasten to qualify his viewpoint by the condition
"... under [our] current sets of values and stategies..."

You see, we could indeed carpet-bomb them out of existence;
quite literally wipe them out; every man, woman and child
who would not surrender their violent ways and submit to
a new world order and rule of law.

In fact, we could do this quite a bit less expensively
than the path we are now following... We are trying to
weed the garden; vis-a-vis tilling the ground and starting
a fresh, good crop.

The problem is liberals... "Oh the poor innocent children"
and "We don't want [collateral damage]...", etc. "Let's
help them rebuild their stuff..."

Respectfully, the UK is NOT the stated target of these
extremist groups, past their relationship with the USA and
some tangential factions which would be no more than
common criminals without the titles of al-Qa'ida and Taliban.

I say that we have to do it on a Biblical scope... if not
now; then we either surrender ourselves, or we'll have to
do it later... That being recognized; then, give them a chance,
a real opportunity to abide peacefully [meaningfully and
substantively; not more lip service and histrionics about
who did what to whom first back through the centuries].
Or systematically start wiping them out in "Palestine"
and proceed through Afganistan, possibly into Pakistan,
until we get peace once and for all.

The Brits started this mess after WW-II with their handling of
the Israeli state as annoited by the UN, but opposed by UK...
It insulted the UK's colonialistic patterns and methods...
It's a political [what do the Brits call that when you stuff
it like a turkey and play it incessently over time after time
in a passive-aggressive fixation?] delusion; like Patton started
the US on with USSR over his contempt-without-understanding of
Stalin. We didn't need a 'Cold-War'. They were as afraid of
us as we were of them; and, we were/are vastly technologically
superior. With Muslim extremist factions, their very survival
depends upon distorted liberal views like "violence begets only
more violence". Bullshit! When I step on an ant, they leave me
the heck alone. When I pick it up and place it outside, it comes
back for its original objective - with reinforcements.

In application, these liberal viewpoints are bureaucratically
played out by allowing violence on the part of these Palistineans
and Muslim extremists to initiate, and judging harshly the reponses
of the true victims of these movements; to wit, peace-loving
constructively-industrious people all over the globe.

All they are selling is chaos and oppression; and I say to the
honorable Sir David Richards, they can never prevail and they
shall never prevail - if every American Boy Scout Troop in the
USA has to take up arms and go do it our own damn selves! Then
the Brits can sit back and rue the day they did not stand with
their brothers in the war for decency, righteousness, goodness,
and peace on Earth.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and on the
'AWESOMENESS METER', I am about two clicks

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.

Repent! The end is near! Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em...
an-nnnn-dh... *good* "luck" - if there's an apocalypse.

(And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)

Bucky Breeder

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> liberaled this:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:18:14 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

> says-victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html
>>>
>>> Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the
>>> article:
>>>
>>> "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting
>>> wars." "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be
>>> contained, in an effort to prevent attacks."
>>>
>>> Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution,
>>> please do let everyone know.

>> Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
>> turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an
>> hour.

> "We come in peace- shoot to kill".

"We come for peace - else we will shoot to kill."

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and on the
'AWESOMENESS METER', I am about two clicks
better than 'TOTALLY'; so, that is why the stalkers
and the trolls merely worship me with their flames!

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.

Repent! The end is near! Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em...
an-nnnn-dh... *good* "luck" - if there's an apocalypse.

(And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)

richard

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:

> Another big Surprise...
> British forces are all but gone.
>
> @mid.individual.net...
> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2134190.html

The only way to win that war is not to play the game.
All nations involved in the conflict should simply pull out. Then choke the
waring factors of their supplies. When they have no more supplies, they
quit.

Aardvark

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 13:46:27 -0700, §nühw¤£f wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:

>> possible".
>>>>>

>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-armed-forces-
>> says-victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

>> fighting

>> be

>> solution,
>>> Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of

>> Americans
>>> turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an

>> hour.
>>
>> "We come in peace- shoot to kill".
>>

> Gee, with all the saber rattlin from "Stevios" corner, you'd think he'd
> be *in* the military *serving* instead of *cheerleading* from the
> sidelines.
>
> <guffaw>

Yup. It's certainly full of hot air, isn't it? I never see any of its
*******s unless someone decides to reply to it and quote some of said
*******s.

no hace mucho tiempo que viv*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, roc*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

Disbelief

StevieO wrote:
> Another big Surprise...
> British forces are all but gone.
>
> @mid.individual.net...
> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2134190.html

A bit like the yanks then at Korea and Vietnam - particularly Vietnam, where
the mighty Yank war machine took a real old drubbing for nothing.

As for Korea, officially North and South Korea are still at war (no peace
document was ever sighned) - so the the American armed forces are not so
formidable after all - Now as for Afghanistan, all the United Nations
forces fighting there will take a bloody great hammering and any peace pact
will be negotiated rather than won by battle - just ask the Russian army who
were the last to fight (and lose there).

So as you can see, talking stops more wars than fighting.

As a matter of interest, guess who supplied a vast amount of arms and
ammunition to the the Mujahideen resistance fighters and ultimately into the
hands of the Taliban

Remember the phrase of Winston Churchill -To jaw-jaw is always better than
to war-war (at the White House in 1954). But that's not the trigger-happy
American way is it?