Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Android is not a phone?

Android is not a phone?

Mike Yetto

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:51:42 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

>> Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> writes and having writ
>> moves on.

>>>X11SE did.

>>>It's neither. It's an Operating System.

>>>No, it's basic function is that of an operating system.

>>>An application installed on that operating system makes calls.

>>>The "Droid" is a phone.

>> To be precise a "Droid" is a phone manufactured by Motorola.

>There is a Droid Incredible made by HTC.

There is also a Droid X, Droid 2...

They'll all be sued by George Lucas soon.

Mike "at least they don't run HemDroid/OS" Yetto
In practice they are not.

anyone

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:28:44 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:
>
>> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a
>> reply in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
>>
>> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
>>
>> As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it. Now try that with
>> an Ipad.

> This is what I call a telephone: http://goo.gl/iPU9H

hmmm... no display, no USB, no Ethernet, no wireless and an oddly-formed
"keyboard" with only a few choices. No thanks.

> That Android thing you have is some kind of High Tech Digital
> Communication Device and doesn't resemble a telephone in way shape or
> form. A good telephone has to have miles and miles of copper wire run
> all over the countryside with telephone poles along side the roadway for
> drunks to run into. Now that said, I can talk to my baby sister (70
> years young) in ND over the phone lines using my computer and a program
> called Skype, do we call that a telephone or what? All said and done, I
> am totally fascinated by the advancements in electronics and
> communications, but remember the telephone poles are still there so
> drive carefully. Maybe Evan is right.

Old Gringo38

On 16 Nov 2010 17:23:54 GMT, anyone wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:28:44 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:
>>
>>> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a
>>> reply in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
>>>
>>> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
>>>
>>> As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it. Now try that with
>>> an Ipad.

>> This is what I call a telephone: http://goo.gl/iPU9H

> hmmm... no display, no USB, no Ethernet, no wireless and an oddly-formed
> "keyboard" with only a few choices. No thanks.

LOL Ah the good old days, aren't we all geld their gone forever. <g>

--
11/16/2010 11:31:30 AM CST
Just West Of Nowhere

richard

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:

> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a reply
> in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
>
> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
>
> As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.
> Now try that with an Ipad.

Ok so as I understand it now "Droid" is the case into which "Android" is
installed. The cell phone feature is but one of thousands of apps which
"Android" uses.

Mike Easter

richard wrote:

> Ok so as I understand it now "Droid" is the case

The 'case'?

If an iMac is an all-in-one consisting of base and screen housing
everything necessary for a desktop except the keyboard and mouse; and
inside the 'housing' is a quadcore CPU computer and a 27" screen with
its associated OS -- would you call the iMac a *case*?

Do you call your desktop computer tower a case? Do you call a laptop a case?

The Droid is a smartphone. Some people rank the hierarchy of cell phones
as dumb phones, feature phones, and smartphones with the smartphone
having more computing capability and offering a more robust operating
system for application developers.

It is not a 'case'. More like a mobile computer with telephony as a
primary function; as opposed to such as netbooks and laptops which have
a primary function as a portable computer which might have telephony
secondarily.

> into which "Android" is
> installed.

A mobile computer with an Android OS.

--
Mike Easter

Jordon

richard wrote:
> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a reply
> in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
>
> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
>
> As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it.
> Now try that with an Ipad.

If Android is a phone, then Windows Mobile is a phone
too and that doesn't make much sense, does it?

The Android operating system can run a tablet just like
the iPhone operating system can can run an iPad. Both
can also run phones.

richard

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:21:28 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

> richard wrote:
>
>> Ok so as I understand it now "Droid" is the case

> The 'case'?
>
> If an iMac is an all-in-one consisting of base and screen housing
> everything necessary for a desktop except the keyboard and mouse; and
> inside the 'housing' is a quadcore CPU computer and a 27" screen with
> its associated OS -- would you call the iMac a *case*?
>
> Do you call your desktop computer tower a case? Do you call a laptop a case?
>
> The Droid is a smartphone. Some people rank the hierarchy of cell phones
> as dumb phones, feature phones, and smartphones with the smartphone
> having more computing capability and offering a more robust operating
> system for application developers.
>
> It is not a 'case'. More like a mobile computer with telephony as a
> primary function; as opposed to such as netbooks and laptops which have
> a primary function as a portable computer which might have telephony
> secondarily.
>
>> into which "Android" is
>> installed.

> A mobile computer with an Android OS.
>
>> The cell phone feature is but one of thousands of apps which
>> "Android" uses.

What is a case? A convenience item to allow portability of the components.
Can I not operate the components without a case?

If you removed the body of any car, would the vehicle still function?
Remove the engine from a car and it still operates just the same.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:56:20 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>>On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:51:42 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

>>> Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> writes and having writ
>>> moves on.

>>> To be precise a "Droid" is a phone manufactured by Motorola.

>>There is a Droid Incredible made by HTC.

> There is also a Droid X, Droid 2...

My point however slight it may appear was that Motorola wasn't exclusive
to the name Droid.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:47:15 -0700, richard wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0700, richard wrote:
>
>> According to Evan Platt who made this earth shocking statement in a
>> reply in another group stated the android is NOT a phone.
>>
>> Ok I give up. If it is not a phone, then what is it?
>>
>> As I own one, I certainly can make phone calls on it. Now try that with
>> an Ipad.

> Ok so as I understand it now "Droid" is the case into which "Android" is
> installed. The cell phone feature is but one of thousands of apps which
> "Android" uses.

There are all kinds of phones not called Droid that sport the Android
platform.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:26:56 -0700, richard wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:21:28 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:
>>
>>> Ok so as I understand it now "Droid" is the case

>> The 'case'?
>>
>> If an iMac is an all-in-one consisting of base and screen housing
>> everything necessary for a desktop except the keyboard and mouse; and
>> inside the 'housing' is a quadcore CPU computer and a 27" screen with
>> its associated OS -- would you call the iMac a *case*?
>>
>> Do you call your desktop computer tower a case? Do you call a laptop a
>> case?
>>
>> The Droid is a smartphone. Some people rank the hierarchy of cell
>> phones as dumb phones, feature phones, and smartphones with the
>> smartphone having more computing capability and offering a more robust
>> operating system for application developers.
>>
>> It is not a 'case'. More like a mobile computer with telephony as a
>> primary function; as opposed to such as netbooks and laptops which have
>> a primary function as a portable computer which might have telephony
>> secondarily.
>>
>>> into which "Android" is
>>> installed.

>> A mobile computer with an Android OS.
>>
>>> The cell phone feature is but one of thousands of apps which "Android"
>>> uses.

> What is a case? A convenience item to allow portability of the
> components. Can I not operate the components without a case?
>
> If you removed the body of any car, would the vehicle still function?
> Remove the engine from a car and it still operates just the same.

I can run any computer without a case.