Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Combined SatNav-Marine-Ordnance Survey device.

Combined SatNav-Marine-Ordnance Survey device.

Peter Turtill

I want a device that will take Admiralty Marine charts, Ordnance Survey and
Tom Tom that can also be used as a phone. Is such a device made?

pete

Meat Plow

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:42:38 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:

> I want a device that will take Admiralty Marine charts, Ordnance Survey
> and Tom Tom that can also be used as a phone. Is such a device made?
>
> pete

A netbook with a USB sat receiver and Skype.

Peter Turtill

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:42:38 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:
>
>> I want a device that will take Admiralty Marine charts, Ordnance Survey
>> and Tom Tom that can also be used as a phone. Is such a device made?
>>
>> pete

> A netbook with a USB sat receiver and Skype.

Yes that sounds good but I want to put it on the windscreen of my car or
take it on a boat so it needs to be small rather like an IPhone.

pete

joevan

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:14:35 -0000, "Peter Turtill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:42:38 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:
>>
>>> I want a device that will take Admiralty Marine charts, Ordnance Survey
>>> and Tom Tom that can also be used as a phone. Is such a device made?
>>>
>>> pete

>> A netbook with a USB sat receiver and Skype.

>Yes that sounds good but I want to put it on the windscreen of my car or
>take it on a boat so it needs to be small rather like an IPhone.
>
>pete

I pad not small enough? How about that gadget from MS?

Meat Plow

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:14:35 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:42:38 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:
>>
>>> I want a device that will take Admiralty Marine charts, Ordnance
>>> Survey and Tom Tom that can also be used as a phone. Is such a device
>>> made?
>>>
>>> pete

>> A netbook with a USB sat receiver and Skype.

> Yes that sounds good but I want to put it on the windscreen of my car or
> take it on a boat so it needs to be small rather like an IPhone.
>
> pete

Well maybe an IPhone with a maritime map application and a suction cup
harness of some kind. Maybe Garmin or Hummingbird. I know Hummingbird
makes marine navigation units with GPS but no phone. i know Garmin makes
a GPS with phone. There are many solutions to windscreen mounting. You
might want to get on Google and do some research.

Peter Turtill

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:14:35 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> A netbook with a USB sat receiver and Skype.

>> Yes that sounds good but I want to put it on the windscreen of my car or
>> take it on a boat so it needs to be small rather like an IPhone.
>>
>> pete

> Well maybe an IPhone with a maritime map application and a suction cup
> harness of some kind. Maybe Garmin or Hummingbird. I know Hummingbird
> makes marine navigation units with GPS but no phone. i know Garmin makes
> a GPS with phone. There are many solutions to windscreen mounting. You
> might want to get on Google and do some research.

OK, you have susssed me out already. I don't know how an IPhone works. Can I
buy Admiralty Charts as applications together with Ordnance Survey and Tom
Tom and still have a PAYG blue tooth phone to use as hands free? I do not
understand if I have to pay the SIM provider everytime I use an application.
I have seen an Iphone with google earth on it but the chap showing me didn't
know how he was being charged? An IPhone that does all that and I only pay
for phone calls and texts would be ideal but I don't know if that is
possible. I have to be particular about pedigree of the applications as I
sometimes use the information as evidence.

pete

Meat Plow

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:18:11 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:14:35 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:
>>
>>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yes that sounds good but I want to put it on the windscreen of my car
>>> or take it on a boat so it needs to be small rather like an IPhone.
>>>
>>> pete

>> Well maybe an IPhone with a maritime map application and a suction cup
>> harness of some kind. Maybe Garmin or Hummingbird. I know Hummingbird
>> makes marine navigation units with GPS but no phone. i know Garmin
>> makes a GPS with phone. There are many solutions to windscreen
>> mounting. You might want to get on Google and do some research.

> OK, you have susssed me out already. I don't know how an IPhone works.
> Can I buy Admiralty Charts as applications together with Ordnance Survey
> and Tom Tom and still have a PAYG blue tooth phone to use as hands free?
> I do not understand if I have to pay the SIM provider everytime I use an
> application. I have seen an Iphone with google earth on it but the chap
> showing me didn't know how he was being charged? An IPhone that does all
> that and I only pay for phone calls and texts would be ideal but I don't
> know if that is possible. I have to be particular about pedigree of the
> applications as I sometimes use the information as evidence.

You then might want the advice of the people in your line of work what
they use. It's going to be tough to find a solution unless your among
others who may already use a device that you desire.

Jordon

http://www.navionics.com/NavionicsMobile.asp

Peter Turtill

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:18:11 +0000, Peter Turtill wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well maybe an IPhone with a maritime map application and a suction cup
>>> harness of some kind. Maybe Garmin or Hummingbird. I know Hummingbird
>>> makes marine navigation units with GPS but no phone. i know Garmin
>>> makes a GPS with phone. There are many solutions to windscreen
>>> mounting. You might want to get on Google and do some research.

>> OK, you have susssed me out already. I don't know how an IPhone works.
>> Can I buy Admiralty Charts as applications together with Ordnance Survey
>> and Tom Tom and still have a PAYG blue tooth phone to use as hands free?
>> I do not understand if I have to pay the SIM provider everytime I use an
>> application. I have seen an Iphone with google earth on it but the chap
>> showing me didn't know how he was being charged? An IPhone that does all
>> that and I only pay for phone calls and texts would be ideal but I don't
>> know if that is possible. I have to be particular about pedigree of the
>> applications as I sometimes use the information as evidence.
>>

> You then might want the advice of the people in your line of work what
> they use. It's going to be tough to find a solution unless your among
> others who may already use a device that you desire.

My stuff doesn't usually mix. Sailors use Lat Long for navigation and RoW
activists use Ordnance Survey. I have a PDA that does OS and Tom Tom but it
is so dated and useless I don't really want to buy anything for it. The
I-Phone seems to be the answer providing the applications are as good as OS
and Admiralty Charts otherwise it means buying different platforms for each
function which must be a rip off.

pete

Whiskers

On 2010-11-15, Peter Turtill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want a device that will take Admiralty Marine charts, Ordnance Survey and
> Tom Tom that can also be used as a phone. Is such a device made?
>
> pete

The navigation software in GPS receivers and smartphones doesn't use
either Admiralty charts or OS maps (or at least, if they do they're in a
significantly altered form that makes them into 'something else').

I think you want to be able to use your data as 'evidence' in various
matters relating to public access in particular places. For such purposes
I think you'd do best with conventional printed maps and charts and basic
'technical drawing' equipment (ruler, dividers, pencil, drawing-compass,
etc). By all means, use GPS to help you to locate and mark 'things' on
your maps - but don't forget other methods too, such as measuring tape and
compass-bearings

The gadgets and smartphone software designed to assist navigation by road,
are not the right sort of tool to use for precise position-fixing; for
example, they are likely to adjust whatever position information they
calculate using the GPS satellites so as to display your location on or
close to 'a road' or 'a path' as known to the mapping data in use. If
you're trying to locate a thoroughfare that isn't known to the mapping
data, or isn't mapped to where you believe it should be, I think you'll
soon run into difficulties.

There are GPS receivers intended for 'off-road' use, or for 'marine' use,
which will log your position in terms of latitude and longitude, or
National Grid or whatever, and can store 'tracks' and 'waypoints' in those
terms too. Ideally you want to have some idea of the 'margin for error'
in the GPS 'fix' as well - a single stand-alone receiver can be 'off' by
surprisingly large distances sometimes. That's why 'real' map-makers and
surveyors make use of identifiable landmarks and arrays of 'static' GPS
receivers to locate positions relative to those 'datum points'.

There are apps for smartphones that can emulate at least some of the
functions of an 'off-road' GPS receiver. But they may not be as accurate
and reliable as purpose-built devices, nor as good at detecting
satellites.

Some of the navigation apps for smartphones make use of maps which you can
'download' onto the device; others, notably Google Maps, require
continuous internet access - which will usually mean 'mobile internet' of
course - to access mapping data for the current location. This can be
both expensive and unreliable.

--
-- Whiskers