Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Krugman puts White House in Panic!

Krugman puts White House in Panic!

StevieO

Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms
Sarah Palin was Correct. White House in bunker mode
as this was suppose to stay hidden....LOL

New York Times Columnist Says Death Panels Needed to Fix Economy
by Steven Ertelt | | 11/15/10 1:38 PM

When former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin warned about the
potential for "death panels" under ObamaCare that would make life and death
medical decisions for patients, she was scoffed at and dismissed as off
base.
Now, an economist who is a columnist for the New York Times says death
panels may be needed as a solution to fix the troubled economy.
Paul Krugman appeared on ABC's "This Week with Christiane Amanpour" during a
roundtable discussion about the economy and the recent conclusions from the
U.S. Debt Reduction Commission.
Krugman said the death panels won't come into play now but would down the
road.
"Some years down the pike, we're going to get the real solution, which is
going to be a combination of death panels and sales taxes. It's going to be
that we're actually going to take Medicare under control, and we're going to
have to get some additional revenue, probably from a VAT. But it's not going
to happen now," he said.
Krugman said if the debt commission "were going to do reality therapy, they
should have said, 'OK, look, Medicare is going to have to decide what it's
going to pay for. And at least for starters, it's going to have to decide
which medical procedures are not effective at all and should not be paid for
at all.'"
"In other words, it should have endorsed the panel that was part of the
healthcare reform," he added.
Krugman immediately came under fire for the comments on the Internet and he
quickly posted a clarification on his blog.
"I said something deliberately provocative on 'This Week,' so I think I'd
better clarify what I meant, which I did on the show, but it can't hurt to
say it again," he wrote. "So, what I said is that the eventual resolution of
the deficit problem both will and should rely on "death panels and sales
taxes."
"What I meant is that . health care costs will have to be controlled, which
will surely require having Medicare and Medicaid decide what they're willing
to pay for - not really death panels, of course, but consideration of
medical effectiveness and, at some point, how much we're willing to spend
for extreme care," he added.
Krugman admitted death panels are "politically impossible" but said they may
happen someday.

Some pro-life advocates are saying the ObamaCare bill, once implemented
could put "death panels" in place now by using competitive pricing and cost
analysis in a system similar to the British government-run health care
system that make medical treatment decisions that have cost patients their
lives.
Palin first wrote about death panels on Facebook in August 2009 and she
elaborated on her first post a week later.
The provision that President Obama refers to is Section 1233 of HR 3200,
entitled "Advance Care Planning Consultation." [2] With all due respect, it's
misleading for the President to describe this section as an entirely
voluntary provision that simply increases the information offered to
Medicare recipients. The issue is the context in which that information is
provided and the coercive effect these consultations will have in that
context.
Section 1233 authorizes advanced care planning consultations for senior
citizens on Medicare every five years, and more often "if there is a
significant change in the health condition of the individual . or upon
admission to a skilled nursing facility, a long-term care facility. or a
hospice program." [3] During those consultations, practitioners must explain
"the continuum of end-of-life services and supports available, including
palliative care and hospice," and the government benefits available to pay
for such services. [4]
Now put this in context. These consultations are authorized whenever a
Medicare recipient's health changes significantly or when they enter a
nursing home, and they are part of a bill whose stated purpose is "to reduce
the growth in health care spending." [5] Is it any wonder that senior
citizens might view such consultations as attempts to convince them to help
reduce health care costs by accepting minimal end-of-life care? As Charles
Lane notes in the Washington Post, Section 1233 "addresses compassionate
goals in disconcerting proximity to fiscal ones.. If it's all about
obviating suffering, emotional or physical, what's it doing in a measure to
"bend the curve" on health-care costs?"
Noel Sheppard of the conservative media watchdog Newsbusters responded to
Krugman's comments.
"This may have been "deliberately provocative," but so were Palin's comments
which he now seems to be somewhat agreeing with albeit without having the
nerve to admit it," he says.
"To cut Medicare costs in the future - an essential part of budget balancing
according to Krugman - the government is going to have to decide which
procedures it will cover and which it won't. These decisions will admittedly
involve a cost-benefit analysis. This means the individual's rights are
being subordinated to the government's financial interest," Sheppard said.
"As the government has deep budgetary problems, the cost-benefit analysis
will naturally morph towards financial restraint thereby further limiting a
patient's options and therefore his or her rights," he added.
"As the government has deep budgetary problems, the cost-benefit analysis
will naturally morph towards financial restraint thereby further limiting a
patient's options and therefore his or her rights," he concluded. "If only
such dangers were better explained to the public before Congress voted on
this bill in March.
Ethel Fenig also commented at the American Thinker blog about the Krugman
remarks.
"They laughed when Sarah Palin said Obamacare would require death panels to
control medical costs. But for some reason no one laughs when New York times
columnist Paul Krugman says the same thing. Maybe because he
won-inexplicably-the Nobel Prize for Economics," she writes.

Disbelief

StevieO wrote:
> Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms
> Sarah Palin was Correct. White House in bunker mode
> as this was suppose to stay hidden....LOL
>

> New York Times Columnist Says Death Panels Needed to Fix Economy
> by Steven Ertelt | | 11/15/10 1:38 PM
>
> When former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin warned about the

Total rubbish snipped.

The only candidates for death panels should be idiots like you who believe
in, or spread rumours about this sort of rubbish.

Let's be honest, the great American health care system is already adept at
this sort of thing by allowing to die those too poor to pay for such care -
the first thing that's asked by the doctors is "are you paying by insurance,
credit card or cash sir/madam" -- with the 'rider' no insurance, card or
cash, then no treatment now **** off and die!!

In the last 'league' of world-wide health care systems that I saw, America
was around sixth or eight in it - even Cuba's *FREE* healthcare system beat
the Yanks for quality!!

Ah well, the archetypal, hollow headed, loud-mouthed, panic stricken Yank
shouting his mouth off again and the merest sniff of a rumour.

webster72n

"Disbelief" wrote in message news:ibsg4i$ts2$(E-Mail Removed)...

StevieO wrote:
> Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms
> Sarah Palin was Correct. White House in bunker mode
> as this was suppose to stay hidden....LOL
>

> New York Times Columnist Says Death Panels Needed to Fix Economy
> by Steven Ertelt | | 11/15/10 1:38 PM
>
> When former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin warned about the

Total rubbish snipped.

The only candidates for death panels should be idiots like you who believe
in, or spread rumours about this sort of rubbish.

Let's be honest, the great American health care system is already adept at
this sort of thing by allowing to die those too poor to pay for such care -
the first thing that's asked by the doctors is "are you paying by insurance,
credit card or cash sir/madam" -- with the 'rider' no insurance, card or
cash, then no treatment now **** off and die!!

And you expect a society as this to have a long lifespan?
It lets people die because they lack the money to pay for their own
care?
This kind of system, called capitalism, is supposed to be superior to
any other?
Give me a break...
You have no problem handing millions of dollars over to the people
sitting at the trough
and to perfect strangers, i.e. Iraqis, Afghans, Pakistanis etc., the
list is endless.
but helping your fellow man or woman is a thorn in your eye.
Don't you ever bother to look in the mirror, I mean really look?

In the last 'league' of world-wide health care systems that I saw, America
was around sixth or eight in it - even Cuba's *FREE* healthcare system beat
the Yanks for quality!!

Ah well, the archetypal, hollow headed, loud-mouthed, panic stricken Yank
shouting his mouth off again and the merest sniff of a rumour.

Aardvark

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:36:28 -0600, The Old Sourdough wrote:

> "StevieO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ibrt6h$rof$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms Sarah Palin was
>> Correct. White House in bunker mode as this was suppose to stay
>> hidden....LOL
>>

> snip
>
> WE already have "death panels".
> They're called "Insurance companies"

LOL. That's always been clear to those who have a thought in their head.

no hace mucho tiempo que vivĂ*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, rocĂ*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'