Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: what your thoughts on these andriod epads/apads

Re: what your thoughts on these andriod epads/apads

Whiskers

On 2010-11-14, Information <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Keep seeing these things advertised for £80 to £140
> look pretty similiar to ipad !
>
> seem decent enough for internet surfing ???? but are they ?????
>
> cant find any that take a sim card ? for tru mobilty
>
> are thi like netbooks , pretty much a waste of cash ?/
>
> imagine so
>
> advise appeciated , bearing in mind these things
> are likely aimed at just email and internet surfers

Given that a smartphone costs a lot more than that and isn't exactly a
'desktop replacement' for anything web-related, and that Android's current
version can't really cope with screens larger VGA resolution, I'd expect
the cheapo 'tablets' to be in a similar class to the £100 MIPS-based
netbooks that were around a year or so ago. But without a keyboard. I
did get one of those, and it's tolerable for email but pretty hopeless for
web browsing (my smartphone is a lot better, despite having a much smaller
screen) and the battery life isn't very good either.

If there are USB sockets, one of them might work with a mobile internet
dongle - but don't assume, ask!

--
-- Whiskers