Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > I cannot install CDT under eclipse

I cannot install CDT under eclipse

fl

Hi,
My computer has installed eclipse under Linux SUSE. It only has Java.
Now I want to add CDT for C++ programming. The problem is there is
only Software Updates, no "Install New Software". So, I cannot install
CDT for eclipse. How can I install CDT eclipse? SUSE is 11.3. The
present eclipse for Java is 3.4.0 installed from RPM.
Thanks.

Nigel Wade

On 14/11/10 16:49, fl wrote:
> Hi,
> My computer has installed eclipse under Linux SUSE. It only has Java.
> Now I want to add CDT for C++ programming. The problem is there is
> only Software Updates, no "Install New Software". So, I cannot install
> CDT for eclipse. How can I install CDT eclipse? SUSE is 11.3. The
> present eclipse for Java is 3.4.0 installed from RPM.
> Thanks.

The simplest way to install the CDT to an existing Eclipse is to
download the CDT ZIP and install from that. The ZIP for Ganymede (the
version supplied with OpenSUSE 11.3) can be found here:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cd...ases/ganymede/
Follow the link for 5.0.2 to go to the download page for the latest release.

After downloading the ZIP open the Software Updates dialog. and select
the Available Software tab and click on Add Site. Click on the Archive
button and navigate to the downloaded ZIP file. This should add the ZIP
as an installation source.

If anything fails during the installation process you may be left with a
borked Eclipse, unable to run it at all or you get NPE when you try to
re-install CDT. Un-installing and re-installing Eclipse may be your only
option.

Alternatively, you can download the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ at
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ and unpack that. It's not an RPM
package, and it won't fit nicely with the system software management
tools. You won't be able to use YaST/zypper to manage it, it won't
integrate with your desktop applications menu. OTOH it will work.

--
Nigel Wade