Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > data usage streaming radio

data usage streaming radio

richard

Ok smart ones.
If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is actually
being passed through to me?
As I use verizon wireless I am limited to 5gigs a month.
So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

richard

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:35:25 -0700, richard wrote:

> Ok smart ones.
> If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is actually
> being passed through to me?
> As I use verizon wireless I am limited to 5gigs a month.
> So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

32Kbps = 4KB/s = 12MB/hour
64Kbps = 8KB/s = 23MB/hour
128Kbps = 16KB/s = 57MB/hour

According to one source. Is this reasonable?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> Ok smart ones.

You're off to a good start there... (oh, you're addressing everyone
else then. I get it.)

> If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is actually
> being passed through to me? As I use verizon wireless I am limited to
> 5gigs a month. So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

Set yer alarm clock for one hour. (Does your motel room have one?)
Click on that little network thingy icon on the systray.
Note the number of bytes received.
When the alarm clock goes off, read it again.
Subtract the first number from the second one.

--
-bts
-Could. Not. Resist.

richard

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:52:48 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> richard wrote:
>
>> Ok smart ones.

> You're off to a good start there... (oh, you're addressing everyone
> else then. I get it.)
>
>> If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is actually
>> being passed through to me? As I use verizon wireless I am limited to
>> 5gigs a month. So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

> Set yer alarm clock for one hour. (Does your motel room have one?)
> Click on that little network thingy icon on the systray.
> Note the number of bytes received.
> When the alarm clock goes off, read it again.
> Subtract the first number from the second one.

I figure I'm running about 18mb an hour.
At a whopping speed of a fairly steady 48kbps

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>> Ok smart ones.

>> You're off to a good start there... (oh, you're addressing everyone
>> else then. I get it.)
>>
>>> If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is
>>> actually being passed through to me? As I use verizon wireless I am
>>> limited to 5gigs a month. So if I listen for an hour, how much data
>>> have I used?

>> Set yer alarm clock for one hour. (Does your motel room have one?)
>> Click on that little network thingy icon on the systray.
>> Note the number of bytes received.
>> When the alarm clock goes off, read it again.
>> Subtract the first number from the second one.

> I figure I'm running about 18mb an hour.
> At a whopping speed of a fairly steady 48kbps

Well, there ya go. Did you use the calculator?

--
-bts