Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Good idea, bad execution

Good idea, bad execution

G. Morgan

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:56:22 -0800, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
>
>> Several years ago, somebody invented a clever email add-on that would
>> alert you to the fact that you were using harsh language, so you
>> wouldn't hit the "send" key.
>>
>> This is wrongheaded. The place you want to put it is on the receive
>> end, to alert you that someone was about to insult you, so you could
>> delete the diatribe without reading it.
>>
>> Does anybody know what was the name of that invention, or the company or
>> person who invented it?

>Censor4pussies?

Now they have this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...runk-post.html

Anyone

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:56:22 -0800, Joe Snodgrass wrote:

> Several years ago, somebody invented a clever email add-on that would
> alert you to the fact that you were using harsh language, so you
> wouldn't hit the "send" key.
>
> This is wrongheaded. The place you want to put it is on the receive
> end, to alert you that someone was about to insult you, so you could
> delete the diatribe without reading it.
>
> Does anybody know what was the name of that invention, or the company or
> person who invented it?

"Common sense", that seems to have eluded you.

Meanwhile, go ogle "Eudora mail client".

Mike Schilling

"Anyone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2010.11.14.08.27.16@abSfD9AYLavqGth6T1JWO wq.aWEF...
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:56:22 -0800, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
>
>> Several years ago, somebody invented a clever email add-on that would
>> alert you to the fact that you were using harsh language, so you
>> wouldn't hit the "send" key.
>>
>> This is wrongheaded. The place you want to put it is on the receive
>> end, to alert you that someone was about to insult you, so you could
>> delete the diatribe without reading it.
>>
>> Does anybody know what was the name of that invention, or the company or
>> person who invented it?

> "Common sense", that seems to have eluded you.
>
> Meanwhile, go ogle "Eudora mail client".

Eudora had a nice screen layout, but not *that* nice.

Lew

Mike Schilling wrote:
> Eudora had a nice screen layout, but not *that* nice.

I stared at your response for about five or six seconds, then I got the humor
depth-charge style. Then, BOOM - I nearly awoke my wife guffawing.

Brilliant, Mike.

--
Lew

Daniel Pitts

On 11/13/2010 8:38 AM, Lew wrote:
> Joe Snodgrass wrote:
>>> Several years ago, somebody invented a clever email add-on that would
>>> alert you to the fact that you were using harsh language, so you
>>> wouldn't hit the "send" key.
>>>
>>> This is wrongheaded. The place you want to put it is on the receive
>>> end, to alert you that someone was about to insult you, so you could
>>> delete the diatribe without reading it.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what was the name of that invention, or the company or
>>> person who invented it?

> Some dipshit mother****er.
>
> Meat Plow wrote:
>> The inventor was God and the invention was called The Brain.

> Yes, She did create the brain, or it created itself, or She created the
> soul that created the brain, but I am not sure "invented" is the
> appropriate verb. We don't say a sculptor "invents" a sculpture or a
> composer "invents" an aria, we say they "create" or "compose" it.
>
> Nice bit of humorous proselytizing, though.

Without getting into a religious debate, I often chose too interpret
"God" as "The natural consequences of the universe existing" where
appropriate, and restructuring the surrounding sentence so that it fits
the intent of the originator with my understanding of the universe.

I'm not saying I'm an atheist, just that "God" as an explanation is too
course grained most of the time. Yes, God did lots of great stuff, but
its not outside our ability to understand why/how a lot of it happened.

So, my interpretation of what Meat Plow wrote:

"The filter is created by evolution and it evolved into The Brain."

Normally I apply this translation internally so as not to offend other
people (you should try that sometime Lew). I often appreciate your
contributions, and agree with your opinions, but presentation accounts
for something.

Lew

On 11/14/2010 02:01 PM, Daniel Pitts wrote:

>> Some dipshit mother****er.
>>
>> Meat Plow wrote:
>>> The inventor was God and the invention was called The Brain.

>> Yes, She did create the brain, or it created itself, or She created the
>> soul that created the brain, but I am not sure "invented" is the
>> appropriate verb. We don't say a sculptor "invents" a sculpture or a
>> composer "invents" an aria, we say they "create" or "compose" it.
>>
>> Nice bit of humorous proselytizing, though.
>>

> Without getting into a religious debate, I often chose too interpret
> "God" as "The natural consequences of the universe existing" where
> appropriate, and restructuring the surrounding sentence so that it fits
> the intent of the originator with my understanding of the universe.
>
> I'm not saying I'm an atheist, just that "God" as an explanation is too
> course grained most of the time. Yes, God did lots of great stuff, but
> its not outside our ability to understand why/how a lot of it happened.
>
> So, my interpretation of what Meat Plow wrote:
>
> "The filter is created by evolution and it evolved into The Brain."
>
> Normally I apply this translation internally so as not to offend other
> people (you should try that sometime Lew). I often appreciate your
> contributions, and agree with your opinions, but presentation accounts
> for something.

Huh? What'd I do wrong /this/ time?

Jesus, people! You are all a pack of cards.

The OP referred to God in a semi-humorous style. I responded in kind. Why in
the holy Hells is that a problem for you?

Christ on a crutch!

--
Lew

nut

On 13/11/2010 13:56, Joe Snodgrass wrote:

> Several years ago, somebody invented a clever email add-on that would
> alert you to the fact that you were using harsh language, so you
> wouldn't hit the "send" key.
>
> This is wrongheaded. The place you want to put it is on the receive
> end, to alert you that someone was about to insult you, so you could
> delete the diatribe without reading it.
>
> Does anybody know what was the name of that invention, or the company
> or person who invented it?

Go **** yourself, you pussy.

Joe Snodgrass

On Nov 14, 11:01*am, §nühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)..com>,
> Joe Snodgrass pondered the following:

> > > Really? No klew? Its been around for like forever:http://www.netnanny..com=

> > /company/

> > Tired of ahm?

> Whuh? I dont poast to Alt.Hackers.Malicious
>
> Clealy sir, you hace me mistaken for somwon else.
>
> --http://www.republicorp.us/http://stopbeck.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.or g|www.youropenbook.org

Nay goodfella, I know wherefrom I sprock. I too hace tossed nigh the
fetters and lib'rated mine self from Yon Purgat0ry.