I joined a project where we need to import data from a excel file into
sql server via the asp.net.

After doing a long research found that
#1. Upload Excel file to the server
#2. Load or keep the Excel file into the memory
#3. Query the excel file and convert into insert queries and execute
them via sql server
or
write a DTS package and use it via asp.net

Where can I find more information,
- Which is the best approach and what are adv. and dis-adv.
- How to set the properties of DTS package via asp.net

Any other related links are a good help.

Regards,

Sreedhar Vankayala

Sarmad Aljazrawi

if you are using xp excel, then try Office XP Inerop Assemblies released by microsoft which help you avoid installing MS excel on the server.

for loading the data into SQL, I'd prefer to batch the data into SQL directly without creating any DTS. Just load the data into a dataAdapter and then batch it as a whole into SQL.

this may help you http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...asp?frame=true

hope this would help you.

--
Sarmad Aljazrawi
B.Sc. Computer Science, MSDBA, MCP

"Sreedhar Vankayala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I joined a project where we need to import data from a excel file into
> sql server via the asp.net.
>
> After doing a long research found that
> #1. Upload Excel file to the server
> #2. Load or keep the Excel file into the memory
> #3. Query the excel file and convert into insert queries and execute
> them via sql server
> or
> write a DTS package and use it via asp.net
>
> Where can I find more information,
> - Which is the best approach and what are adv. and dis-adv.
> - How to set the properties of DTS package via asp.net
>
> Any other related links are a good help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sreedhar Vankayala

Sreedhar Vankayala

Cool. Thanks for the reply and working towards the steps mentioned ...

I have lot of macros in the excel sheet. Currently, I am working on
how to get the data.

Reg. the assemblies, would it cover all the functionality like getting
data out of sheet which has complicated macros ?

Link provided is 2001, wondering if there is a better way in the new
ADO.net, as of today ?

- Sreedhar