Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > You'll never see this on "God fearin' Dpreview

Reply
Thread Tools

You'll never see this on "God fearin' Dpreview

 
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2010
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:33:40 -0500, peter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/13/2010 10:22 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
>> On 11/13/10 PDT 6:40 PM, Rich wrote:
>>> On Nov 13, 7:33 pm, John McWilliams<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>> On 11/13/10 PDT 11:54 AM, ScotchBright wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:50:36 +0200, "G Paleologopoulos"
>>>>
>>>>> The idiot who wrote the original complaint probably thinks
>>>>> that's a very artsy photograph because there's a vagina in it.
>>>>
>>>> But such is not showing. Other lady parts, yes.
>>>
>>> I can see a few religious maniac Americans lashing themselves after
>>> accidentally viewing the image...

>>
>> Why limit it to one country?? Religious fanatics know no geographical
>> bounds.
>> Unless you are a fanatical type yourself, of course.
>>

>
>who is more illogical, fanatical atheists, or religious fundamentalists.


I vote for religious fundamentalists. Fanatical atheists are - in my
experience - only fanatical about talking about the subject and
presenting their arguments to support the atheist position. The
religious fundamentalists carry that a bit further and take actions to
try to get other people to follow their beliefs.

I can't remember ever seeing a group of atheists protesting anything,
but I have seen fundies harassing people visiting an abortion clinic
and seen them picketing against gay marriage.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2010
On Nov 15, 3:18*am, rwalker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:42:06 -0800, John McWilliams
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> who is more illogical, fanatical atheists, or religious fundamentalists.

>
> >Atheism wins hands down, but neither is attractive when espoused
> >vehemently.

>
> Six of one, half a dozen of the other.


I wonder what happens in bakers dozens


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2010
On Nov 15, 3:54*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2010-11-14 19:18:57 -0800, rwalker <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:42:06 -0800, John McWilliams
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> >>> who is more illogical, fanatical atheists, or religious fundamentalists.

>
> >> Atheism wins hands down, but neither is attractive when espoused
> >> vehemently.

>
> > Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

>
> Well, the good thing about your everyday stealth atheist is, he/she is
> not going to favor one religion over another.


That isn't what I've found in that those I know tend to favour Hindi
and Buddhism
partyly due to being vegitarian and that animlas have rights too.
(well to not be slaughtered in pain at least)

> The atheist is tolerant
> and able to work and live with most Christians (I include Catholic &
> Protestant in this group), Jews, Muslims, Cargo Cultists, animists, and
> various others, without discrimination, knowing they (those followers
> of religions)have a background based on flawed logic.


I see myself more of an agnostic, but do believe religion has it's
uses in a similar way
to the law it's mostly about hearding people to do what you want and
punishing them if they don't.

> Fanatic atheists are illogical, because there is no logic in arguing
> with those who are too biased, or indoctrinated to recognize science
> and logic.


What worries me is when science and religion come together and
disprove logic.
When an electron can be said to be in two places at same time and the
same can be said of God !
Does that make God an electron.


> Fundamentalists of any ilk, be they Christian, Islamist, satanists, and
> other off the wall crazies are beyond any logic.


But I've found most apply their own logic, a Spanish catholic once
said to a veggie friend of
mine that they believe animals were put on this earth for man purposes
and that including eating them.
I guess God making animals out of meat doesn't help

 
Reply With Quote
 
Twibil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2010
On Nov 15, 9:51*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>
> Agnosticism, isn't even atheism light, it is hedging bets,because the
> religious societal mores sit too securely in your cultural background,
> and personal choices. Just another version of fence sitting.


Sorry, but you're wrong.

While both true believers and athiests are positing an unprovable
thesis, the agnostic is simply being intellectually honest by saying
"I don't know the truth of the matter". (He probably suspects that
*you* don't know -and can't know- the truth of the matter either, but
usually doesn't bother to point this out.)

To assume that agnostics are fence-sitting is to assume that there are
only two choices -to believe or to disbelieve- when in truth
agnosticisim is a perfectly valid third position which does not sit
*between* athiests and believers but sits at right angles to both.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ASCII
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2010
Whisky-dave wrote:
>When an electron can be said to be in two places at same time and the
>same can be said of God !
>Does that make God an electron.


It suggests that god created people too stupid to admit
they don't know what's happening with Schrödinger's cat
and too egotistical to admit it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2010
On 11/15/10 PDT 1:30 PM, rwalker wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:54:12 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> Fundamentalists of any ilk, be they Christian, Islamist, satanists, and
>> other off the wall crazies are beyond any logic.

>
> Indeed.


Yabbut, try telling one of 'em that!

I do believe that there can be Fundos who are not off the wall crazy.
Differently brained, yes, but not crazy. I am also guessing that there
may be Fundo Islamists who eschew killing/terrorism.

--
john mcwilliams

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
 
Reply With Quote
 
peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2010
On 11/15/2010 11:54 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:


>
> I see myself more of an agnostic, but do believe religion has it's
> uses in a similar way
> to the law it's mostly about hearding people to do what you want and
> punishing them if they don't.
>


I think agnostics are the most intellectually honest. They admit they do
not know.


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2010
On 11/15/2010 12:51 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-11-15 08:54:12 -0800, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Nov 15, 3:54 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>> On 2010-11-14 19:18:57 -0800, rwalker <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>>
>>>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:42:06 -0800, John McWilliams
>>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>>> who is more illogical, fanatical atheists, or religious fundamentalis

>> ts.
>>>
>>>>> Atheism wins hands down, but neither is attractive when espoused
>>>>> vehemently.
>>>
>>>> Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
>>>
>>> Well, the good thing about your everyday stealth atheist is, he/she is
>>> not going to favor one religion over another.

>>
>> That isn't what I've found in that those I know tend to favour Hindi
>> and Buddhism
>> partyly due to being vegitarian and that animlas have rights too.
>> (well to not be slaughtered in pain at least)

>
> I guess "those" weren't actually atheists then?
>
>>
>>> The atheist is tolerant
>>> and able to work and live with most Christians (I include Catholic &
>>> Protestant in this group), Jews, Muslims, Cargo Cultists, animists, and
>>> various others, without discrimination, knowing they (those followers
>>> of religions)have a background based on flawed logic.

>>
>> I see myself more of an agnostic, but do believe religion has it's
>> uses in a similar way
>> to the law it's mostly about hearding people to do what you want and
>> punishing them if they

>
> Agnosticism, isn't even atheism light, it is hedging bets,because the
> religious societal mores sit too securely in your cultural background,
> and personal choices. Just another version of fence sitting.
>
>>
>>> Fanatic atheists are illogical, because there is no logic in arguing
>>> with those who are too biased, or indoctrinated to recognize science
>>> and logic.

>>
>> What worries me is when science and religion come together and
>> disprove logic.

>
> However religious pseudo-science has been a standard tool for
> undermining actual science, evolution, and atheism. Just more FUD.
>
>> When an electron can be said to be in two places at same time and the
>> same can be said of God !
>> Does that make God an electron.

>
> No. God(s) is/are a creation of man, created to reason natural
> phenomena, and science.
> The electron remains an electron regardless of where it appears. To
> declare it a god, just continues the human fallibility of wanting to
> simplify all about them without reasoning.
>
>>
>>
>>> Fundamentalists of any ilk, be they Christian, Islamist, satanists, and
>>> other off the wall crazies are beyond any logic.

>>
>> But I've found most apply their own logic, a Spanish catholic once
>> said to a veggie friend of
>> mine that they believe animals were put on this earth for man purposes
>> and that including eating them.
>> I guess God making animals out of meat doesn't help

>
> So much for man the hunter gatherer.
>
>

A few years ago I got some folks upset. I saw a PETA booth at the
Virginia Arts Festival and yelled out. Look! People eating tasty animals.


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2010
On 11/15/2010 5:46 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
> On 11/15/10 PDT 1:30 PM, rwalker wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:54:12 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Fundamentalists of any ilk, be they Christian, Islamist, satanists, and
>>> other off the wall crazies are beyond any logic.

>>
>> Indeed.

>
> Yabbut, try telling one of 'em that!
>
> I do believe that there can be Fundos who are not off the wall crazy.
> Differently brained, yes, but not crazy. I am also guessing that there
> may be Fundo Islamists who eschew killing/terrorism.
>


I buy that. I have a friend who calls herself and her husband fundies. I
have not been able to convince her that she is a non-denominational
caring person. Too nice to be a true fundie.


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2010
On 11/15/2010 11:40 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Nov 15, 3:18 am, rwalker<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:42:06 -0800, John McWilliams
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>> who is more illogical, fanatical atheists, or religious fundamentalists.

>>
>>> Atheism wins hands down, but neither is attractive when espoused
>>> vehemently.

>>
>> Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

>
> I wonder what happens in bakers dozens
>
>

You're half right.

--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wonders never cease. Someone posts good photos on Dpreview RichA Digital Photography 0 08-01-2009 07:15 AM
See the reaction to Dpreview slagging a Canon product RichA Digital Photography 0 11-25-2008 07:21 PM
You've never seen it before and you'll never see it again. Fred A Stover Computer Support 7 12-26-2007 03:33 AM
XML Schema never-never occurence of declared elements / attributes Soren Kuula XML 1 12-01-2005 01:27 PM
string routines go to never never land on unix Kevin C Programming 4 10-17-2003 06:07 PM



Advertisments