Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't share a printer across a wireless XP network....

Can't share a printer across a wireless XP network....

Accomac

Hello All,
I have a wireless network using two machines that run Windows XP Pro
and Windows XP home. There is no problem getting the client machine,
the one running Home Edition to have an Internet connection. I would
like to be able to send documents to the host machines printer. Here
is the problem:

When I run the network setup Wizard on the XP Pro machine it
invariably wants to use the 1394 connection to be the one that is
shared. The other two options are the Marvell ethernet controllers
only one of which is in use. When I am prompted to make a network disk
I only have five options to store the data created by the wizard. The
first is the floppy drive, and the next four are memory card slots on
a card reader. The program doesn't show me either one of my two
optical drives so I can't make a CD. The problem is the client machine
has no such card reader or a floppy drive!

When I run the network setup Wizard on the Home machine, and try to
save the network settings it tells me that there is no optical drive
installed when in fact it does have a CD burner!

At one point I was able to share the printer, but unfortunately I made
the mistake of deleting the printer from the client machine, which in
turn removed it from the host machine. Now no matter what I do I can't
get this sharing to operate again.

I have also tried turning off the "online armor" firewall on both
machines to no avail. At one point looking under the firewall
configurations I was able to see the host machine appear on the
client, and vice versa. Now I can't do anything, I don't even know
that if I was able to make a network disk that it would solve the
problem.

I am at a loss as to what to do next if anyone has any ideas I would
be most appreciative. Please try and keep your directions relatively
simple as it's obvious I am having no luck doing what I am doing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Accomac