Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Collectors

Collectors

Old Gringo38

http://goo.gl/zLE4C
--
11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
Just West Of Nowhere

Zu Arsschlaark!

"Old Gringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1d248qwo6rag.134q81mubsroe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://goo.gl/zLE4C
> --
> 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
> Just West Of Nowhere
> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt tv.
i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every other time. happy days!
its the must have item of the decade!

philo

"Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YffDo.76469$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> "Old Gringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1d248qwo6rag.134q81mubsroe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://goo.gl/zLE4C
>> --
>> 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
>> Just West Of Nowhere
>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
> tv.
> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
> other time. happy days!
> its the must have item of the decade!

I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
thought it was pretty neat.

I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

Zu Arsschlaark!

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ibk0af$flg$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YffDo.76469$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> "Old Gringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1d248qwo6rag.134q81mubsroe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://goo.gl/zLE4C
>>> --
>>> 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
>>> Just West Of Nowhere
>>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>>> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

>> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
>> tv.
>> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
>> other time. happy days!
>> its the must have item of the decade!
>>

> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
> thought it was pretty neat.

it was neat, if a little slow.

> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

me too. now when i wanna play the old games i jus fire up an emulator.

richard

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:37:41 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

> http://goo.gl/zLE4C

Ahh yes, the good old days. I remember only too well of the need of having
to store programs on cassette tapes.

I don't recall off hand who first offered a floppy, but my Atari 800 had
one. 5.25" style.

Did you know the floppy disk was invented well before the first "home"
computers?
In 1950 by a Japanese inventor.

My first machine was an Atari 400 and it came installed with MS-DOS and you
had to buy "BASIC" seperately, as I recall.

After I found the power and capabilities of the Amiga, I tried talking my
father into buying one. But no, he wouldn't bite. Instead, for a birthday
present, he shows up with a machine that has some new fangled thing in it
called windows 3.1.

While he was satisfied with his Commodore 64.

richard

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:16:33 -0600, philo wrote:

> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YffDo.76469$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> "Old Gringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1d248qwo6rag.134q81mubsroe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://goo.gl/zLE4C
>>> --
>>> 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
>>> Just West Of Nowhere
>>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>>> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

>> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
>> tv.
>> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
>> other time. happy days!
>> its the must have item of the decade!
>>

> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
> thought it was pretty neat.
>
> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

I've seen that one and never did like it. Cost too much for what you got.
I started learning computers in 1978 when Radio Shack began selling them in
stores.

philo

"Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eGfDo.151694$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ibk0af$flg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:YffDo.76469$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> "Old Gringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:1d248qwo6rag.134q81mubsroe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
>>> tv.
>>> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
>>> other time. happy days!
>>> its the must have item of the decade!
>>>

>> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
>> thought it was pretty neat.
>>

> it was neat, if a little slow.
>
>> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

> me too. now when i wanna play the old games i jus fire up an emulator.

The only game I play is the win3x version of Tetris

works fine in Wine on my Linux machine

philo

news:1jaz51rcaefza$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:16:33 -0600, philo wrote:
>
>> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:YffDo.76469$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> "Old Gringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:1d248qwo6rag.134q81mubsroe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
>>> tv.
>>> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
>>> other time. happy days!
>>> its the must have item of the decade!
>>>

>> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
>> thought it was pretty neat.
>>
>> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

> I've seen that one and never did like it. Cost too much for what you got.
> I started learning computers in 1978 when Radio Shack began selling them
> in
> stores.

They were a few hundred dollars when they first came out...but I waited
until they had come down to $50

I ended up selling mine at a rummage sale for $25...the game port had burned
out

Old Gringo38

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:34:23 -0700, richard wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:37:41 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:
>
>> http://goo.gl/zLE4C

> Ahh yes, the good old days. I remember only too well of the need of having
> to store programs on cassette tapes.
>
> I don't recall off hand who first offered a floppy, but my Atari 800 had
> one. 5.25" style.
>
> Did you know the floppy disk was invented well before the first "home"
> computers?
> In 1950 by a Japanese inventor.
>
> My first machine was an Atari 400 and it came installed with MS-DOS and you
> had to buy "BASIC" seperately, as I recall.
>
> After I found the power and capabilities of the Amiga, I tried talking my
> father into buying one. But no, he wouldn't bite. Instead, for a birthday
> present, he shows up with a machine that has some new fangled thing in it
> called windows 3.1.
>
> While he was satisfied with his Commodore 64.

My first experience with a computer was Dos 6, and shortly there
after came Win 95 I thought I was in heaven.
--
11/12/2010 1:52:53 PM CST
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Meat Plow

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:48:25 -0600, philo wrote:

> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eGfDo.151694$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ibk0af$flg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:YffDo.76469$(E-Mail Removed)2...

>>> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs... thought
>>> it was pretty neat.
>>>

>> it was neat, if a little slow.
>>
>>> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

>> me too. now when i wanna play the old games i jus fire up an emulator.
>>

> The only game I play is the win3x version of Tetris
>
> works fine in Wine on my Linux machine

I have a game like Asteroids. I think that's the old arcade game. It's a
triangle on the screen that you move around and shoot boulders and try to
avoid getting hit with the pieces. Works great in wine.