Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows 7 questions

Windows 7 questions

snapdoodle@.

How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
its own window? Why is it like it is?

snapdoodle@.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:08:14 -0500, snapdoodle@. wrote:

>How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
>its own window? Why is it like it is?

Uuugh. How do you add/remove programs? And there's a Norton spam
thingy I want to get rid of but can't even close out of...just
minimize. I want to get rid of that because I believe it's
preventing me from installing the virus protection I want to use.
In my other PC without the Norton superspam thing the same
program loaded with no problem.

Sjouke Burry

snapdoodle@. wrote:
> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
> its own window? Why is it like it is?

Why is what what it was?

Sorry, my crystal ball is fogged up.

robertva

On 11/11/2010 5:48 PM, snapdoodle@. wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:08:14 -0500, snapdoodle@. wrote:
>
>> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
>> its own window? Why is it like it is?

> Uuugh. How do you add/remove programs? And there's a Norton spam
> thingy I want to get rid of but can't even close out of...just
> minimize. I want to get rid of that because I believe it's
> preventing me from installing the virus protection I want to use.
> In my other PC without the Norton superspam thing the same
> program loaded with no problem.

The Norton product was probably added by your new computer's
manufacturer, not part of Microsoft's Operating System (OS). I seen
suggestions to look on Kim Kommando's site for advice about removing
manufacturer bundled programs like that. Also note that, although
Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word come from the same Publisher as the
OS, they are NOT part of the OS and might cost you quite a bit extra for
them if you use them for more than a few months after you first start
your new computer. Many computer manufacturer's add demonstration
versions of software that will only function for a limited time. The
software manufacturer's partially subsidize the manufacturing cost of
the computer in return. It's a bit like ads in a magazine.

Paste ALL of the following link into your browser address bar for a
recent article on this subject.

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.as...campaign=end-b

Make sure you spell Komando with a "k", or you will visit a COMPLETELY
different themed site.

The Demo I saw last week featured a address (URL)/search bar at the top
of each Windows Explorer window (very similar to the address/search bar
on Internet Explorer versions 7 and . The same combination control was
on the Windows emblem menu (left end of the Task Bar).

If autorun is active on your DVD reader many software titles will
install themselves when you insert the disk in your computer. At the
demonstration last week Add/Remove was still in the Control Panel, but
had a different name (which I don't recall). You might find more
specifics on Kim's site or through a Google search.

Paul

snapdoodle@. wrote:
> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
> its own window? Why is it like it is?

You can get third-party add-ons, to make your new Windows look like
your old Windows.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/...-in-windows-7/

*******

In the old Windows, you'd go to Tools : Folder Options : General, and select...

Open each folder in its own window

That's the Tools entry at the top of the folder you're looking at.

On Windows 7, try Organize : Folder and Search Options : General, and select...

Open each folder in its own window

In other words, they changed the location of the controls a bit,
so you'd have to search all over the place trying to find it. The
staff at Microsoft, wanted you to feel like an idiot. And to
help enforce that feeling, they put search boxes, so you could
type one question after another, read gobs of text, to get the
simplest things done. These are the elements of a successful
user interface. Gobs of text. Gobs of text, is the future of
computing. (My eyesight is bad, and I *hate* this approach.)

Maybe on the next generation of computers, they'll get rid
of the LCD screen, and go back to address LEDs and toggle
switches. This is what Windows 8 will look like. And if you
can't make it work, they'll tell you "you're holding it wrong"

http://www.jodypaul.com/gr/altair8800.jpg

Paul

snapdoodle@.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:01:52 +0100, Sjouke Burry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>snapdoodle@. wrote:
>> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
>> its own window? Why is it like it is?

>Why is what what it was?

Is.

Don Stauffer

On 11/11/2010 3:08 PM, snapdoodle@. wrote:
> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
> its own window? Why is it like it is?

You do a search from Windows Explorer. Search window is still in upper
right corner. I do not like the search procedures as well as earlier
versions of Windows, but it does work.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Jeff Strickland

<snapdoodle@.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
> its own window? Why is it like it is?

You're asking _very_ fundemental questions about Windows in general, not
just Win7. You've also found out why most people like WinXP (and earlier)
versions.

To view folders in their own windoe, you have to start Windows Explorer
(right-click START, or left-click START>Programs>Accessories>Windows
Explorer), and then choose Tools>Folder Options, and make the setting
choices you want.

PERSONALLY
I like the Windows Classic View from days gone by, and I find that Microsoft
has made a huge mistake by removing the Classic format from the way they
display files and menu bars. I've been around since the early days of DOS,
so when Windows came along and I jumped on the train, I always despised the
"web view" presentation when it came along with Win98, or whenever the
buttons and menus were changed. But I digress...

You also asked about Add/Remove Programs. Go to the Control Panel and select
Programs and Features. This is the same as in Vista.

Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:41:59 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>PERSONALLY
>I like the Windows Classic View from days gone by, and I find that Microsoft
>has made a huge mistake by removing the Classic format from the way they
>display files and menu bars. I've been around since the early days of DOS,
>so when Windows came along and I jumped on the train, I always despised the
>"web view" presentation when it came along with Win98, or whenever the
>buttons and menus were changed. But I digress...

Have you considered Classic Shell?
<http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html>

Thor Kottelin

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ibjqon$k9h$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> I like the Windows Classic View from days gone by, and I find that
> Microsoft has made a huge mistake by removing the Classic format from
> the way they display files and menu bars.

Yes, winfile.exe was a nice option, particularly for those accustomed to
dosshell.exe.

--
Thor Kottelin
http://www.anta.net/