Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Windows 7 does not shut down and other stuff

Re: Windows 7 does not shut down and other stuff

Bucky Breeder

zbatter <(E-Mail Removed)> bemoaned her computer situation thusly:

> ?I have Windows 7 home premium and have been using it for 8 months.
> Just in the last two weeks four things have started happening.
>
> 1. Windows will not shut down - need to hard power off
>
> 2. Right-clicking and Icon will cause computer to freeze up. Need to
> hard power off some of the time.
>
> 3. Placing CD/DVD in either drive and will not open, opening causes
> long delay before being able to do other tasks.
>
> 4. Sometimes when trying to print I get the message "Out of memory" but
> everything else will work smoothly (Programs even heavy Graphic ones).
>
> I have in the side bar a gadget that show minimal use of CPU and minimal
> use on all 4 cores. I have searched Google to no avail. I have used
> msconfig and turned off everything listed from loading to no avail. My
> computer is a 64b system and have 8 g of ram.
>
> Just today there were I believe 6 automatic updates that were trying to
> install during shutdown, after 6 hours still stuck. Hard powered off
> and restarted. I check Live update and said my computer was up to date,
> however, it only showed on update instead of the six.
>
> This is driving me nuts and fear that there will be damage eventually
> from these hard shut downs.
>
> Thank You

Sounds like you have some 4 core programs installed in your 3 core
directory, or some 2 core programs installed in your 4 core directory,
or some combination of inappropriate 32-bit/64-bit programs conflicting
with your system files/routines.

You could have several things wrong, or perhaps just one big thing
is terribly wrong. If I'd only had it 8 months, and it were the
newest machine in my formidable inventory, I'd be inclined to to
save my essential data, and doo-dads, make a notepad list of my
personal configuration(s), and then simply re-install using the
disc, or the restore feature of the unit.

Then you could update all the appropriate Windows' fixes, reboot,
cleanup, reboot, defrag and then slowly and methodically start to
correctly install your personal programs and porn files in the
exactly correct places.

At 8-months, you should still be entitled to call up the
Sears Tech Support Section for assistence with these chores.
If it's an HP, you should also celebrate the fact that little
Ms. Carly Fiorina gots her arse whooped by Barbara Boxer in
California which goes to show that you just cain't roll-out
all this Chinese-bullshit and then buy the CA elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina

Also, with an HP, if you just raise enough hell on their 800
number (which initially is in India), eventually they will transfer
you to a nice American engineer in California who will tell you how
to boot into secret administative menus and also send you some free
stuff like DVD's and extra software and stuff like that. You must
be very careful, however, because the Indian guy will ask for your
credit card number, and then charge you hundreds of dollars for a
pack of st00pid CDs which you'll never use anyways... There's
different key-combinations to tap when booting up that will give
you a bunch of neat options which you can change around and even
some which HP really doesn't want you to know, or they'd have just
put them in the manual in the first phreekin' place instead of
making you spend days on the telephone telling those dumbasses how
money grows on trees in America, but most of us won't go out and
pick it because that's what the illegal Mexicans do, and then we
just overcharge them for rent, clothes and groceries and stuff.
No wonder they all want to come over here and get some food stamps!

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.

Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
And... good luck if there's an apocalypse.

(And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)