Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Windows 7 does not shut down and other stuff

Re: Windows 7 does not shut down and other stuff

G. Morgan

"zbatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>?I have Windows 7 home premium and have been using it for 8 months. Just in
>the last two weeks four things have started happening.
>
>1. Windows will not shut down - need to hard power off
>
>2. Right-clicking and Icon will cause computer to freeze up. Need to hard
>power off some of the time.
>
>3. Placing CD/DVD in either drive and will not open, opening causes long
>delay before being able to do other tasks.
>
>4. Sometimes when trying to print I get the message "Out of memory" but
>everything else will work smoothly (Programs even heavy Graphic ones).
>
>I have in the side bar a gadget that show minimal use of CPU and minimal use
>on all 4 cores. I have searched Google to no avail. I have used msconfig
>and turned off everything listed from loading to no avail. My computer is a
>64b system and have 8 g of ram.
>
>Just today there were I believe 6 automatic updates that were trying to
>install during shutdown, after 6 hours still stuck. Hard powered off and
>restarted. I check Live update and said my computer was up to date,
>however, it only showed on update instead of the six.
>
>This is driving me nuts and fear that there will be damage eventually from
>these hard shut downs.
>
>Thank You

In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something is terribly
wrong.

Aardvark

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 00:20:21 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

> "zbatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>?I have Windows 7 home premium and have been using it for 8 months.
>>Just in the last two weeks four things have started happening.
>>
>>1. Windows will not shut down - need to hard power off
>>
>>2. Right-clicking and Icon will cause computer to freeze up. Need to
>>hard power off some of the time.
>>
>>3. Placing CD/DVD in either drive and will not open, opening causes
>>long delay before being able to do other tasks.
>>
>>4. Sometimes when trying to print I get the message "Out of memory" but
>>everything else will work smoothly (Programs even heavy Graphic ones).
>>
>>I have in the side bar a gadget that show minimal use of CPU and minimal
>>use on all 4 cores. I have searched Google to no avail. I have used
>>msconfig and turned off everything listed from loading to no avail. My
>>computer is a 64b system and have 8 g of ram.
>>
>>Just today there were I believe 6 automatic updates that were trying to
>>install during shutdown, after 6 hours still stuck. Hard powered off
>>and restarted. I check Live update and said my computer was up to date,
>>however, it only showed on update instead of the six.
>>
>>This is driving me nuts and fear that there will be damage eventually
>>from these hard shut downs.
>>
>>Thank You

> In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something is
> terribly wrong.

Dan C? Is that you?

no hace mucho tiempo que vivĂ*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, rocĂ*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

G. Morgan

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something is
>> terribly wrong.

>Dan C? Is that you?

lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.

Aardvark

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:08:58 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

> Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something
>>> is terribly wrong.

>>Dan C? Is that you?

> lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.

Indubitably, but I had to check.

no hace mucho tiempo que vivĂ*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, rocĂ*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

G. Morgan

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Dan C? Is that you?

>> lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.

>Indubitably, but I had to check.

Heh! No, I'm not: "Dan- 'format your c\: drive' C"

I'm going to have to sign my messages with PGP. You're the second one today
that thought I was a sock, the first one is a lunatic though.

Aardvark

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 02:23:18 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

> Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.

>>Indubitably, but I had to check.

> Heh! No, I'm not: "Dan- 'format your c\: drive' C"
>
> I'm going to have to sign my messages with PGP. You're the second one
> today that thought I was a sock, the first one is a lunatic though.

And I was kiddin'.