Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Another Telescum Stuff up.

Another Telescum Stuff up.

Peter K

"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ibc7lf$k89$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 10/11/2010 7:36 a.m., Fred threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ibbhsb$hdv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>
>>> "Peter K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4cd8f383$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?
>>>

>> The internet, and soon that will be the only way. Printing a zillion
>> phone
>> books every five-minutes for each area is too expensive given the modern
>> alternatives.

> However, that becomes a real PITA when your internet isn't working and
> you are trying to find the helldesk phone number to get it sorted.

I'd go to pieces if my internet connection stopped working. It's been a part
of my life for as long as I can remember.

Donchano

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 02:21:03 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"Peter K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4cd8f383$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> New Wellington Phone book.
>>>
>>> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.

>> Does anyone use a phone book any more?

>Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

Short answer: from whatever is easier, be it phonebook or online.

Since NZ phonebook only cover our local area, I go online to get
numbers outside that area and the phonebook for white/yellow pages
listings. And since the current phonebook doesn't include numbers
added since the listings for that phonebook closed, even the local
online listings are more up to date.

Geopelia

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ibbhsb$hdv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Peter K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4cd8f383$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Does anyone use a phone book any more?

>> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

> yellowpages.co.nz
> whitepages.co.nz

Fine for people with computers. What of all those without one?

Turning on the computer and getting the website takes longer than just
looking up a directory. And then you have to write down the number, and
disconnect if you are on dial up before you can go and phone the number.

I've got a list of all the numbers I often use by the phone. I suppose most
people do that, saves time.

Donchano

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:03:44 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 9/11/2010 6:44 p.m., William Brown wrote:
>>

>> New Wellington Phone book.
>>

>> Seems that a lot of Kapiti companies are left out.
>>

>How is this Telecom's fault Woger? They do not own the phone book.

True. Telecom sold off the Yellow pages a few years ago now.

Fred

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:45:35 +1300, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:ibc7lf$k89$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> On 10/11/2010 7:36 a.m., Fred threw some characters down the intarwebs:

>>> However, that becomes a real PITA when your internet isn't working and
>>> you are trying to find the helldesk phone number to get it sorted.

>>Sounds a real problem

> It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.
>
>>- like losing your phone book.

> When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

When did anyone lose the internet?

William Brown

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:33:11 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <ibbhsb$hdv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Peter K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4cd8f383$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Does anyone use a phone book any more?

>> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

>yellowpages.co.nz
>whitepages.co.nz

Only if you are a Computer nerd..

Peter K

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ibce2o$3di$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:45:35 +1300, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:ibc7lf$k89$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>>Sounds a real problem

>> It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.
>>
>>>- like losing your phone book.

>> When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

> When did anyone lose the internet?

Some months ago, my internet connection was down for about an hour.

With regards to online phone books and printed phone books: I can't actually
remember how long it is since I had to use either. I used the online
whitepages maybe a year ago.... otherwise, all the numbers I need to call
are written down by my phone, or programmed into it. I've not needed to look
up a number in a very long time. The last "unknown" number I used was to a
car mechanic - and he'd helpfully shoved a flyer in my letterbox. Actually I
also called Whitcoulls about 2 months ago - used the number on their
website.

-Newsman-

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:22:26 +1300, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:45:35 +1300, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:ibc7lf$k89$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>>Sounds a real problem

>> It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.
>>
>>>- like losing your phone book.

>> When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

>When did anyone lose the internet?

Any time they couldn't connect to it.

Print wins out.

Peter K

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:22:26 +1300, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> It certainly is in the absence of a printed directory.

>>> When did Geopelia last lose hers? Or you yours?

>>When did anyone lose the internet?

> Any time they couldn't connect to it.
>
> Print wins out.

I much prefer to use the internet or computer based solutions. Often they
seem to more up to date, and there are more search possibilities when you
don't have all the info - I'm not sure about the possibilities in NZ, but in
many countries you can easily search for a number based on just an address
or partial address, and you can even use reverse lookup if you have a number
but not the name.

Peter K

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ibcda3$kkp$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <ibbhsb$hdv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Peter K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4cd8f383$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Of course we do. How else can you get a phone number?

>> yellowpages.co.nz
>> whitepages.co.nz

> Fine for people with computers. What of all those without one?
>
> Turning on the computer

? You only need to do that once.