Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mulberry v8.0.4

Mulberry v8.0.4

OldGringo38

I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?
--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Easter

OldGringo38 wrote:
> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
> would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
> address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

I'm not a hands on expert, but I can read the Mulberry faq and know
about Tbird.

Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields- see
http://www.mulberrymail.com/faq/general/abook.shtml What is the format
of the Mulberry addressbook? - The field order for a Mulberry address
book is as follows ... <10 fields, no separate lastname firstname, but
instead uses Full Name in the format lastname, firstname>

Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields and
it uses lastname and firstname as separate fields. Here is an article on
Tbird importing, which I assume is the same as the number of fields it
will export http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_add...from_text_file
<shows 36 different fields>

So, what I would do would be to export the Tbird ab as .csv or tab
delimited and I would import that into an Excel-like app, such as
OpenOffice spreadsheet.

OO can handle tab delimited as well as comma separated, but it isn't as
apparent - so that is a separate subject.

The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.

By importing into the spreadsheet and tweaking the configuration of your
ab so that it matches the Mulberry's, you will get the kind of result
you want.

That Mulberry style of handling the Full Name is a bit of a problem -
the last and first names need to be handled separately sortable.

--
Mike Easter

OldGringo38

On 11/8/2010 5:30 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
the following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38 wrote:
>> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
>> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get
>> the address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

> I'm not a hands on expert, but I can read the Mulberry faq and know
> about Tbird.
>
> Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields- see
> http://www.mulberrymail.com/faq/general/abook.shtml What is the format
> of the Mulberry addressbook? - The field order for a Mulberry address
> book is as follows ... <10 fields, no separate lastname firstname, but
> instead uses Full Name in the format lastname, firstname>
>
> Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields and
> it uses lastname and firstname as separate fields. Here is an article on
> Tbird importing, which I assume is the same as the number of fields it
> will export http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_add...from_text_file
> <shows 36 different fields>
>
> So, what I would do would be to export the Tbird ab as .csv or tab
> delimited and I would import that into an Excel-like app, such as
> OpenOffice spreadsheet.
>
> OO can handle tab delimited as well as comma separated, but it isn't as
> apparent - so that is a separate subject.
>
> The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
> directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
> delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
> the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.
>
> By importing into the spreadsheet and tweaking the configuration of your
> ab so that it matches the Mulberry's, you will get the kind of result
> you want.
>
> That Mulberry style of handling the Full Name is a bit of a problem -
> the last and first names need to be handled separately sortable.

Thanks a million Mike, I'll work on it. It only took me an hour and a
half to figure out how to get the email address into the To: line.

Me being who I am I thought I would try something. So I opened the
address books in TB & Mulberry small windows. I then using the edit on
TB selected all of the addresses. I then did a drag and drop to
Mulberry address book. Bingo it worked. I really don't have the brains
to do what you suggested anyway.

--

OldGringo38 wrote:
> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
> would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
> address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

I don't know about settings, but I've read up on the mail storage
situation. Are you going to try to move email?

Mulberry likes Eudora's mail storage. Eudora's is like Tbird's except
the files are named differently.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

OldGringo38 wrote:
> Mike Easter

>> Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields

>> Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields

>> The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
>> directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
>> delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
>> the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.

> Me being who I am I thought I would try something. So I opened the
> address books in TB & Mulberry small windows. I then using the edit on
> TB selected all of the addresses. I then did a drag and drop to
> Mulberry address book. Bingo it worked. I really don't have the brains
> to do what you suggested anyway.

I should have mentioned that it would/might be worthwhile to just try
the simple import/export (which is like drag and drop) first and see
what you get without any tweaking.

If your existing ab is simple enough without a lot of fields populated,
there's a greater chance of it 'just working'.

--
Mike Easter

OldGringo38

On 11/8/2010 5:54 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
the following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38 wrote:
>> Mike Easter

>>> Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields

>>> Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields

>>> The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
>>> directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
>>> delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
>>> the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.

>> Me being who I am I thought I would try something. So I opened the
>> address books in TB & Mulberry small windows. I then using the edit on
>> TB selected all of the addresses. I then did a drag and drop to
>> Mulberry address book. Bingo it worked. I really don't have the brains
>> to do what you suggested anyway.

> I should have mentioned that it would/might be worthwhile to just try
> the simple import/export (which is like drag and drop) first and see
> what you get without any tweaking.
>
> If your existing ab is simple enough without a lot of fields populated,
> there's a greater chance of it 'just working'.

I tried the import/export first but no luck. Anyway mission accomplished.
Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Support Bacteria: They Are The Only Culture Some People Have

OldGringo38

On 11/8/2010 5:50 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
the following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38 wrote:
>> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
>> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get
>> the address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

> I don't know about settings, but I've read up on the mail storage
> situation. Are you going to try to move email?
>
> Mulberry likes Eudora's mail storage. Eudora's is like Tbird's except
> the files are named differently.

No email moving. Thanks again.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Support Bacteria: They Are The Only Culture Some People Have

OldGringo38

On 11/8/2010 5:50 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
the following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38 wrote:
>> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
>> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get
>> the address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

> I don't know about settings, but I've read up on the mail storage
> situation. Are you going to try to move email?
>
> Mulberry likes Eudora's mail storage. Eudora's is like Tbird's except
> the files are named differently.

No email moving. Thanks again.

The first account setup was fairly easy, now I need to figure out how to
create a second and third account and then Gmail, Mulberry is not user
friendly for a novice but just looking at for someone like you it would
be a snap. Someone with the knowledge of the terminology used in
computer programs. Again Mike Thanks for the help. I'll get there. <g>
--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Support Bacteria: They Are The Only Culture Some People Have

Dan C

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:38:47 -0600, OldGringo38 wrote:

> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
> would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
> address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

If you format your hard drive, it will automatically import all the
settings and address book into Mulberry.

It's like magic!

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he rolled off the prostitute.

OldGringo38

On 11/8/2010 8:46 PM Just to please that super-ego, Dan C wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:38:47 -0600, OldGringo38 wrote:
>
>> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
>> would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
>> address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

> If you format your hard drive, it will automatically import all the
> settings and address book into Mulberry.
>
> It's like magic!

Thanks Dan, I'll try that. <g>