Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Interesting dynamic range inventions

Re: Interesting dynamic range inventions

RichA

On Nov 7, 4:48*pm, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/pi_micro/
> They use a modified DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) projector reversed
> to project onto the sensor of a camera while tilting the mirrors to
> modulate exposure so that pixels don't oversaturate and blow out. There
> are a few more ideas in the links below, one uses an LCD panel as a
> pixel-by-pixel neutral density filter. I doubt any of this is applicable
> to consumer photography yet but it's interesting to see what's being
> explored.

If anyone ever gets a chance, take a look at a scanning electron
microscope image of a micromirror device. You think aliens built it.
Working, precise mechanical parts the size of blood cells and smaller.

ScotchBright

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:14:32 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Nov 7, 4:48*pm, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/pi_micro/
>> They use a modified DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) projector reversed
>> to project onto the sensor of a camera while tilting the mirrors to
>> modulate exposure so that pixels don't oversaturate and blow out. There
>> are a few more ideas in the links below, one uses an LCD panel as a
>> pixel-by-pixel neutral density filter. I doubt any of this is applicable
>> to consumer photography yet but it's interesting to see what's being
>> explored.

>If anyone ever gets a chance, take a look at a scanning electron
>microscope image of a micromirror device. You think aliens built it.
>Working, precise mechanical parts the size of blood cells and smaller.

Don't say that around alien believers. They're idiots. These
are the people who insist that Velcro, the Microwave, and the
integrated circuit were all alien inventions; they're lunatics, and
they'll take that and run with it.
Never mind that the chemistry that film making involves is in
many ways more advanced... they won't care.

John Turco

ScotchBright wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:14:32 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Nov 7, 4:48 pm, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/pi_micro/
> >> They use a modified DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) projector reversed
> >> to project onto the sensor of a camera while tilting the mirrors to
> >> modulate exposure so that pixels don't oversaturate and blow out. There
> >> are a few more ideas in the links below, one uses an LCD panel as a
> >> pixel-by-pixel neutral density filter. I doubt any of this is applicable
> >> to consumer photography yet but it's interesting to see what's being
> >> explored.

> >If anyone ever gets a chance, take a look at a scanning electron
> >microscope image of a micromirror device. You think aliens built it.
> >Working, precise mechanical parts the size of blood cells and smaller.

> Don't say that around alien believers. They're idiots. These
> are the people who insist that Velcro, the Microwave, and the
> integrated circuit were all alien inventions; they're lunatics, and
> they'll take that and run with it.
> Never mind that the chemistry that film making involves is in
> many ways more advanced... they won't care.

Don't forget the "men in black" or the "mysterious black helicopters,"
either.

UFO folklore is such fun!

--
Cordially,