Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > files on external hard drive listed under DVD-RW Drive

files on external hard drive listed under DVD-RW Drive

john hamilton

Someone plugged an external hard drive into our modem router, so all members
of the house could make use of it.

When I switch on my pc now everytime i get the message, 'Files are ready to
be written to CD'. These files are the ones that I have stored on this
external hard drive.

In 'my computer' under the heading; 'devices with removable storage' all the
files in this external hard drive are under the icon: DVD-RW Drive (D

Now that I wish to transfer some files from this external hard drive to a
DVD when I put a disc into the DVD player all the files in the external hard
drive disappear and the only thing showing recognised is the blank dvd that
i have just put in.

So it looks like the ext hard drive and the blank disc are competing for
recognition.

I'm wanting to get off my connection to this ext HDD. but is there any way
anyone can think of to copy some of these files onto a blank DVD please?

Thanks.

Mike Easter

john hamilton wrote:
> Someone plugged an external hard drive into our modem router, so all members
> of the house could make use of it.

This network topology is not clear to me.

Do you mean that the external hdd is a network drive such as

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=871 My Book Live
Home Network Drive

.... which is a wired/wireless network drive example. Some also have a
USB port so that you can make a USB printer be in the network.

What is the specific name and modelno of this hdd?

> When I switch on my pc now everytime i get the message, 'Files are ready to
> be written to CD'. These files are the ones that I have stored on this
> external hard drive.

Something is wrong.

> In 'my computer' under the heading; 'devices with removable storage' all the
> files in this external hard drive are under the icon: DVD-RW Drive (D

That looks like the drive is not being recognized on the network, but
recognized as an optical drive on your computer.

> Now that I wish to transfer some files from this external hard drive to a
> DVD when I put a disc into the DVD player all the files in the external hard
> drive disappear and the only thing showing recognised is the blank dvd that
> i have just put in.
>
> So it looks like the ext hard drive and the blank disc are competing for
> recognition.

Or something.

> I'm wanting to get off my connection to this ext HDD. but is there any way
> anyone can think of to copy some of these files onto a blank DVD please?

You forgot to mention your OS which must be XP.

--
Mike Easter

richard

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 18:17:46 -0000, john hamilton wrote:

> Someone plugged an external hard drive into our modem router, so all members
> of the house could make use of it.
>
> When I switch on my pc now everytime i get the message, 'Files are ready to
> be written to CD'. These files are the ones that I have stored on this
> external hard drive.
>
> In 'my computer' under the heading; 'devices with removable storage' all the
> files in this external hard drive are under the icon: DVD-RW Drive (D
>
> Now that I wish to transfer some files from this external hard drive to a
> DVD when I put a disc into the DVD player all the files in the external hard
> drive disappear and the only thing showing recognised is the blank dvd that
> i have just put in.
>
> So it looks like the ext hard drive and the blank disc are competing for
> recognition.
>
> I'm wanting to get off my connection to this ext HDD. but is there any way
> anyone can think of to copy some of these files onto a blank DVD please?
>
> Thanks.

I believe this is a common problem with not choosing to keep the session
open.

If the machine supports it, what you should be using is DVD-RAM.
The ram discs act and behave just like the old floppy discs so no session
is required.