Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telstraclear/Paradise Email Servers Outage

Telstraclear/Paradise Email Servers Outage

Jonno

From the website:
'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
Our technicians are currently working on this.
Please do not change your password'.

Oh goody

ato2 ato2 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Newe Plymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno
From the website:
'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
Our technicians are currently working on this.
Please do not change your password'.

Oh goody
Exactly. Same problem even now, at 8.10am.
What is the story with telstraclear: is it just a third tier reseller, or something? They don't even have a way that I can check how many texts that I have used!

Cima

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From the website:
>'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
>Our technicians are currently working on this.
>Please do not change your password'.
>
>Oh goody

Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I was
going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no doubt the wait
time will be in hours rather than minutes.

Donchano

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:47:09 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Cima wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>From the website:
>>>'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
>>>Our technicians are currently working on this.
>>>Please do not change your password'.
>>>
>>>Oh goody
>>>

>> Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I
>> was going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no
>> doubt the wait time will be in hours rather than minutes.

>While I have a telstra-clear email account (can't avoid it when they are
>your ISP) I don't use it for anything. It's dirt cheap to register your own
>domain and pay for email hosting from a commercial email host provider. No
>problems when you decide to change ISPs either.

Same here. Xtra is my ISP, so I have an Xtra email account> But I've
never used the address and have set up the crap Xtra-Yahoo Bubble
interface to forward any mail to my excellent mail service account
(Fastmail). Ironically, except for the occasional message from Xtra,
all the rest is Spam - even though I've never used the address.

Jonno

"Cima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>From the website:
>>'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
>>Our technicians are currently working on this.
>>Please do not change your password'.
>>
>>Oh goody
>>

> Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I
> was
> going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no doubt
> the wait
> time will be in hours rather than minutes.

Yep, "Nows (errrrrrrrrrummmmm not so) Good"

Cima

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:47:09 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Cima wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>From the website:
>>>'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
>>>Our technicians are currently working on this.
>>>Please do not change your password'.
>>>
>>>Oh goody
>>>

>> Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I
>> was going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no
>> doubt the wait time will be in hours rather than minutes.

>While I have a telstra-clear email account (can't avoid it when they are
>your ISP) I don't use it for anything. It's dirt cheap to register your own
>domain and pay for email hosting from a commercial email host provider. No
>problems when you decide to change ISPs either.

I think I'll look into something like that. Any recommendations?

Donchano

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:35:34 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>There are so many out there. I prefer dealing with NZ companies, so I use
>freeparking.co.nz for my hosting and email servers.

So did I before Freeparking and WebFarm were sold to an Australian
company a few years back. Then I discovered how much more I was paying
for my domain registration and webhosting by dealing with them.

After a lot of research and reading online customer reviews, I hooked
up with GoDaddy in the US. The savings were - and continue to be -
massive.

Unfortunately, there is no NZ webhosting service that I know of which
can even come close in terms of pricing, features *and* value for
money. But I like to keep my webhosting and email accounts separate,
so I use Fastmail.net as my mail server.

Jonno

"Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From the website:
> 'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
> Our technicians are currently working on this.
> Please do not change your password'.
>
> Oh goody

Seems to be restored ?

Their website says:
"Currently customers may be experiencing a loss of service to their Email;
this also appears to be affecting Webmail. Outlook will be able to send
e-mail but not receive.

** Up-date **

Technicians have worked on the issue overnight and some customers have had
their services restored this morning. We expect services will be fully
restored by this afternoon.

Mail stores are being restored at present..

Our focus is on restoring email as soon as possible without losing customer
emails. We anticipate no customer emails would have been lost as a result of
the outage, however we cannot confirm this until all email servers are
restored.

As you can imagine, our call centres are experiencing heavy call volumes and
we are advising customers that unless their query is urgent, they kindly
call back another time.

We will update you as the day progresses."

I guess, 'Now's (nearly) Good' (but could be better)?

I love the bit about "unless their call is urgent, ---kindly call back
another time."
Normally, when ringing their call centre, the wait time is tantamount to
calling back at "another time" anyway. LOL

David Empson

Jonno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > From the website:
> > 'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
> > Our technicians are currently working on this.
> > Please do not change your password'.
> >
> > Oh goody
> >

> Seems to be restored ?

Seems to be restored for SOME accounts. Two of my personal ones are
responding (one clear.net.nz, one paradise.net.nz), but my work one is
stalling at the "sending password" stage, or reporting a "service
temporarily unavailable" error.

No evidence that new e-mail is arriving yet. I can't tell if I lost
anything as those two accounts are normally unused, and a test message I
sent myself hasn't arrived after 5 minutes.

Outgoing mail has been OK since this morning, and I didn't try sending
anything last night during the outage.

--
David Empson

Cima

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:45:35 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

>Jonno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > From the website:
>> > 'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
>> > Our technicians are currently working on this.
>> > Please do not change your password'.
>> >
>> > Oh goody
>> >

>> Seems to be restored ?

>Seems to be restored for SOME accounts. Two of my personal ones are
>responding (one clear.net.nz, one paradise.net.nz), but my work one is
>stalling at the "sending password" stage, or reporting a "service
>temporarily unavailable" error.
>
>No evidence that new e-mail is arriving yet. I can't tell if I lost
>anything as those two accounts are normally unused, and a test message I
>sent myself hasn't arrived after 5 minutes.
>
>Outgoing mail has been OK since this morning, and I didn't try sending
>anything last night during the outage.

Slowly trickling through for me now. Had a small number from early this morning
just arrive.