Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D7000 sensor tests

D7000 sensor tests

George Paleologopoulos

DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
Man they look good!!!

Bruce

George Paleologopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
>Man they look good!!!

They look *excellent*! The results are very close to those from the
Pentax K-5. The K-5 uses the same sensor, so that isn't a surprise.

But what is remarkable is the difference between the Nikon D7000 and
the Nikon D300s. My colleague, who recently tested the D7000 for a
magazine review, stated that it made the D300s look distinctly
ordinary. These results tend to support his view:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/38z9agl

The D300s is in desperate need of an upgrade, the sooner the better.
Until then, the best option in Nikon DX is the D7000. I'm *very
tempted* to buy one as a back up to my battered old D3.

RichA

On Nov 8, 9:16*am, George Paleologopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
> Man they look good!!!

Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
Pentax K10D or K20D.

peter

On 11/9/2010 11:19 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Nov 8, 9:16 am, George Paleologopoulos<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
>> Man they look good!!!

> Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
> cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
> Pentax K10D or K20D.

Since my questions are still unanswered, the veracity of anything you
say cannot be assumed.

--
Peter

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Nov 8, 9:16=A0am, George Paleologopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
>> Man they look good!!!

>Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
>cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
>Pentax K10D or K20D.

At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
supplied by Sony. The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.

Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
apparently the same.

Me

On 10/11/2010 7:46 a.m., Bruce wrote:
> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 9:16=A0am, George Paleologopoulos<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
>>> Man they look good!!!

>> Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
>> cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
>> Pentax K10D or K20D.

> At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
> aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
> supplied by Sony. The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
> revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
>
> Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
> apparently the same.

The chips have slightly different dimensions (not explained by pixel
count - the pixel pitch is different).
Both are slightly smaller than (Nikon) standard APS-c chip, with a
different crop factor, about 1.55 instead of 1.5.
It's perhaps not such a big deal in terms of effective focal length, but
I still doubt Nikon would do that if the chip was their own design.
There was a site: http://www.icworks.com/ with some accurate information
on previous generation Nikon sensors, but the link seems to be dead.

Rich

On Nov 9, 12:31*pm, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/9/2010 11:19 AM, RichA wrote:
>
> > On Nov 8, 9:16 am, George Paleologopoulos<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
> >> Man they look good!!!

> > Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. *Any other Sony-sensored
> > cameras suffer from this? *I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
> > Pentax K10D or K20D.

> Since my questions are still unanswered, the veracity of anything you
> say cannot be assumed.
>
> --
> Peter

If you are clueless about the lower-end Nikons and pixel issues,
you've been living in a cave.

Rich

On Nov 9, 1:46*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Nov 8, 9:16=A0am, George Paleologopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
> >> Man they look good!!!

> >Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. *Any other Sony-sensored
> >cameras suffer from this? *I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
> >Pentax K10D or K20D.

> At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
> aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
> supplied by Sony. *The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
> revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
>
> Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
> apparently the same.

Sony Exmor, apparently.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technol...e/cmos_01.html

peter

On 11/9/2010 4:02 PM, Me wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 7:46 a.m., Bruce wrote:
>> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
>>> cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
>>> Pentax K10D or K20D.

>> At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
>> aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
>> supplied by Sony. The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
>> revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
>>
>> Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
>> apparently the same.
>>

> The chips have slightly different dimensions (not explained by pixel
> count - the pixel pitch is different).
> Both are slightly smaller than (Nikon) standard APS-c chip, with a
> different crop factor, about 1.55 instead of 1.5.
> It's perhaps not such a big deal in terms of effective focal length, but
> I still doubt Nikon would do that if the chip was their own design.
> There was a site: http://www.icworks.com/ with some accurate information
> on previous generation Nikon sensors, but the link seems to be dead.

Interesting that brucie talks about reports and fails to back it up with
a link to a reliable report. Sounds like bluster to me.

--
Peter

peter

On 11/9/2010 5:26 PM, Rich wrote:
> On Nov 9, 12:31 pm, peter<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 11/9/2010 11:19 AM, RichA wrote:

>>> Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
>>> cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
>>> Pentax K10D or K20D.

>> Since my questions are still unanswered, the veracity of anything you
>> say cannot be assumed.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> If you are clueless about the lower-end Nikons and pixel issues,
> you've been living in a cave.

My questions are still unanswered. Don't try to evade by attacking me.
You will lose.

--
Peter