Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 ........

Re: Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 ........

Bob I

On 11/7/2010 02:08, Valorie *~ wrote:
> From:
> http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-act...rator-account/
>

> Anyone have any idea why my W-7 doesn't have "Run as Administrator" to
> select when right clicking on the command prompt? What is an *elevated*
> prompt? All I have is the regular prompt on my W-7 PC.
>
> From the website:
>
> "Method 1:Using Command Prompt (W-7)
> Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 by right click on the
> command prompt and select "Run as Administrator". After that you only
> need to enter the simple command below to activate it."
>
> I can't select "Run as Administrator" because there is nothing there in
> the prompt window or the right click menu to select when I right click
> on the command prompt. All I can do is type something after the
> C:\user\Valorie> thing.

That's because you are not following the instructions implicitly.

I'll interpret for you.

Left click on Start button.
Right-click on the Command Prompt menu item.
Left-click on the Run as administrator
Left-Click on the Yes button.
Commence using Command prompt with Administrators privileges.

Rodney Pont

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 00:17:23 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:

>> I'll interpret for you.
>>
>> Left click on Start button.
>> Right-click on the Command Prompt menu item.
>> Left-click on the Run as administrator

>net user administrator /active:yes

Why the above??? You are trying to run the program net and that's used
to set things up in networking. You really don't want to go in there
unless you REALLY know what you are doing

>> Left-Click on the Yes button.

>Where is this YES button to left click on? There is no Yes button on the
>prompt, the start button or the desktop. Where is it found when left
>clicking?
>
>> Commence using Command prompt with Administrators privileges.

>It doesn't work. The /active:yes command at the prompt brings this error:
>The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

The instructions above assume that Command Prompt is on the first start
menu.

Left click on
Start Menu
then
All Programs
then
Accessories

will show you the Command Prompt icon. Right clicking on that will give
you a menu and when you left click on Run as Administrator a box will
open asking you if you want to allow the program to make changes to
your computer. That's the one where you click Yes.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com