Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Memory Cards

Memory Cards

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> No need to rush with CF either. It will still be around a couple of
> >> decades from now.

> >A couple of years, yes, but decades? I have my doubts. Have you tried to
> >buy any VHS tape from the high street recently? Or cassette tape?

> Take your head out of the sand and look around, David. CF is very
> widely used in applications other than photography.

so is sd.

> It will remain a
> standard flash memory device for a very long time to come.

nobody knows what will be around in a couple of decades, let alone one
decade. already, the successor to cf (cfast) has been announced, which
is both electrically and physically incompatible.

> There's no need for SD users to get irrationally upset about that, or
> to tell lies about CF's alleged "imminent demise".

nobody is upset. sd is dominant and cf is #2. both can coexist.

> SD will be around for a long time too. They just appeal to different
> markets, that's all.

there's some overlap.

Bruce

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>[]
>> No need to rush with CF either. It will still be around a couple of
>> decades from now.

>A couple of years, yes, but decades? I have my doubts. Have you tried to
>buy any VHS tape from the high street recently? Or cassette tape?

Take your head out of the sand and look around, David. CF is very
widely used in applications other than photography. It will remain a
standard flash memory device for a very long time to come.

There's no need for SD users to get irrationally upset about that, or
to tell lies about CF's alleged "imminent demise".

SD will be around for a long time too. They just appeal to different
markets, that's all.

David J Taylor

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Take your head out of the sand and look around, David. CF is very
> widely used in applications other than photography. It will remain a
> standard flash memory device for a very long time to come.
>
> There's no need for SD users to get irrationally upset about that, or
> to tell lies about CF's alleged "imminent demise".
>
> SD will be around for a long time too. They just appeal to different
> markets, that's all.

You miss my point, Bruce. I think that in 20 years time the storage media
we use will be quite different from today's, and that /both/ CF and SD
will be difficult if not impossible to buy on the high street. Both will
be around for a while yet, though, of course.

Cheers,
David

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mike J Cawood, HND BIT"
><(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like:
>
>>With more and more camera manufacturers changing over to SD cards, the CF
>>card will be pretty much extinct in a couple of years.

>Good point, really. I'd better get a couple of sizable ones while
>they're still cheap, as I can see my old Fuji and Canon being in use for
>a while yet, on and off. My Pentax uses SD, so no rush with that.

Just get a CF to SD adapter

GMAN

In article <ikdlhd$p2c$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>[]
>> No need to rush with CF either. It will still be around a couple of
>> decades from now.

>A couple of years, yes, but decades? I have my doubts. Have you tried to
>buy any VHS tape from the high street recently? Or cassette tape?
>
>Cheers,
>David

or Smartmedia cards

Bruce

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>[]
>> Take your head out of the sand and look around, David. CF is very
>> widely used in applications other than photography. It will remain a
>> standard flash memory device for a very long time to come.
>>
>> There's no need for SD users to get irrationally upset about that, or
>> to tell lies about CF's alleged "imminent demise".
>>
>> SD will be around for a long time too. They just appeal to different
>> markets, that's all.

>You miss my point, Bruce. I think that in 20 years time the storage media
>we use will be quite different from today's, and that /both/ CF and SD
>will be difficult if not impossible to buy on the high street. Both will
>be around for a while yet, though, of course.

There is as yet no sign of an emerging technology that will supplant
flash memory in the mainly consumer domains where it is currently the
storage system of choice. Indeed, flash memory has only recently
replaced other forms of storage that had been around for some years.
So flash memory is probably a long way away from obsolescence.

I am unlikely to be here in two decades to see whether CF and SD are
still around, but I suspect that they will be.

ASCII

Bruce wrote:

>I am unlikely to be here in two decades to see whether CF and SD are
>still around, but I suspect that they will be.

....and which server will retain this post for a followup

John Turco

nospam wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Most amateurs find SD cards perfectly satisfactory. They don't tend
> > to go out shooting in adverse conditions. They don't take cards out
> > of the camera other than indoors. So it doesn't matter to an amateur
> > how flimsy they are, or whether they blow away in the wind. SD cards
> > are well suited to that market.

> sd cards don't blow away in the wind, nor are they flimsy. they're even
> water resistant, which cf is not.

"Bruce" is merely trolling, once again. This particular pro-CF rant is
right in line with one of his previous prattles (touting the allegedly
matchless virtues of Leica lenses).

> > CF cards appeal strongly to a different market, one that amateurs
> > simply don't understand. As this thread proves.

> that must be why canon puts both cf and sd in the 1d and 1ds, which
> are *not* amateur cameras. they're both big cameras, so space wasn't
> a consideration, they could have done 2 cf slots, but they didn't.

I can guarantee "Bruce" won't respond to you...nor to me, for that
matter. His posting patterns are as predictible, as >he< is puckish.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bruce

ASCII <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>>
>>I am unlikely to be here in two decades to see whether CF and SD are
>>still around, but I suspect that they will be.

>...and which server will retain this post for a followup

It will have Google in it somewhere.

Google may be governing the world by then.