Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Memory Cards

Memory Cards

Alan Lichtenstein

A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third
party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about
other manufacturers?

Ron

"Alan Lichtenstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4cd6ab54$0$31278$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
> 2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
> manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third party
> hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about other
> manufacturers?

CF cards are used in almost all DSLRs. So CF cards will be around for a
long time. I for one wouldn't cry if Lexar stopped making any memory cards.
Their problem may be a shrinking market share.

Ron

Rich

On Nov 7, 8:35*am, Alan Lichtenstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
> 2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
> manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. *I realize that this is third
> party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about
> other manufacturers?

They must cost more than SD cards to make, purely from a resource use
standpoint. No wonder they want to do away with them.

Alan Lichtenstein

Ron wrote:

> "Alan Lichtenstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4cd6ab54$0$31278$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that
>> in 2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
>> manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third
>> party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what
>> about other manufacturers?

> CF cards are used in almost all DSLRs. So CF cards will be around for a
> long time. I for one wouldn't cry if Lexar stopped making any memory
> cards. Their problem may be a shrinking market share.

I stopped by my local camera shop today after I posted the initial post.
I mentioned what I had heard and the person I usually deal with said
that he had heard pretty much the same. I asked him about other
manufacturers and he said that he heard nothing about their plans. I
use San Disk anyway, and that initially relieved me, however, he added
that with reduced competition, he anticipated the CF cards to become
more expensive.

I may be wrong, but when comparing similar manufacturer's CF cards to
their SDHC cards, the CF cards seem to have higher write speeds than the
comparable SDHC cards. I agree that most dSLR's use CF cards, however,
many of them have two slots and can take either. Given the differences
in write speeds, it does appear to me that Lexar's decision to get out
of the CF business is somewhat strange, as dSLR users would want the
faster write speeds. Someone had said that the new Nikon 300 has a
single slot. Not using a Nikon, I wouldn't know anything about that
claim either. But I would find it odd.

Alan Lichtenstein

Rich wrote:

> On Nov 7, 8:35 am, Alan Lichtenstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
>>2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
>>manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third
>>party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about
>>other manufacturers?

> They must cost more than SD cards to make, purely from a resource use
> standpoint. No wonder they want to do away with them.

Understandable, but just as a curiosity, I compared the write speeds of
a manufacturer's CF and SDHC cards of the same level, and it appeared
that the CF card has a much faster write speed. I saw that in the
latest B & H catalog. Admittedly, it could be a misprint, but it was
repeated, so I'm not sure. I'll have to go and actually see both cards.

Also, should that be the case, it would appear that most users of dSLR's
would want the faster write speed, making the decision to stop producing
the CF cards 'curious' at best.

peter

On 11/7/2010 3:42 PM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>
>> On Nov 7, 8:35 am, Alan Lichtenstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
>>> 2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
>>> manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third
>>> party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about
>>> other manufacturers?

>> They must cost more than SD cards to make, purely from a resource use
>> standpoint. No wonder they want to do away with them.

> Understandable, but just as a curiosity, I compared the write speeds of
> a manufacturer's CF and SDHC cards of the same level, and it appeared
> that the CF card has a much faster write speed. I saw that in the latest
> B & H catalog. Admittedly, it could be a misprint, but it was repeated,
> so I'm not sure. I'll have to go and actually see both cards.
>
> Also, should that be the case, it would appear that most users of dSLR's
> would want the faster write speed, making the decision to stop producing
> the CF cards 'curious' at best.

We all know that Rich is an accomplished cost analyst and a pillar of
veracity.

--
Peter

Ron

"Alan Lichtenstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4cd70ee0$0$7121$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ron wrote:
>>
>> "Alan Lichtenstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4cd6ab54$0$31278$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
>>> 2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
>>> manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third
>>> party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about
>>> other manufacturers?

>> CF cards are used in almost all DSLRs. So CF cards will be around for a
>> long time. I for one wouldn't cry if Lexar stopped making any memory
>> cards. Their problem may be a shrinking market share.

> I stopped by my local camera shop today after I posted the initial post. I
> mentioned what I had heard and the person I usually deal with said that he
> had heard pretty much the same. I asked him about other manufacturers and
> he said that he heard nothing about their plans. I use San Disk anyway,
> and that initially relieved me, however, he added that with reduced
> competition, he anticipated the CF cards to become more expensive.
>
> I may be wrong, but when comparing similar manufacturer's CF cards to
> their SDHC cards, the CF cards seem to have higher write speeds than the
> comparable SDHC cards. I agree that most dSLR's use CF cards, however,
> many of them have two slots and can take either. Given the differences in
> write speeds, it does appear to me that Lexar's decision to get out of the
> CF business is somewhat strange, as dSLR users would want the faster write
> speeds. Someone had said that the new Nikon 300 has a single slot. Not
> using a Nikon, I wouldn't know anything about that claim either. But I
> would find it odd.

I have three Canon DSLRs and they all have a single card slot and it is CF.
As far as price goes, they are all cheap to those of us that have been using
them for a while. Years ago a 340 MB microdrive type II CF card was over a
hundred bucks. The CF cards with the largest capacity and fast write/read
speeds will always have a high price until the newer version comes out.
Like all electronics, the bigger better widget always costs more!

Ron

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, maybe someone will come up with a superfast version of
> the current SD-to-CF adapter so SD cards can be used for at
> least the medium speed requirements at low cost. But SD is
> a serial device while CF is parallel, and then there's the
> extra controller used in the adapter process. So the speed
> you would get from even the fastest adapter might not be so
> great.

Just remember that we switched from parallel (P-)ATA to serial
SATA. Serial connections have speed advantages over parallel ones.
The controller will be the limiter in the adapter.

> It's not clear to me that video requires the fastest write
> speed, since the video is compressed. My guess is the
> stream of continuous shooting in RAW would present the most
> rigorous requirement, particularly for those big 20+mp
> cameras.

You can always use a buffer for shooting in RAW, once it's full
you just have to wait a bit. Try that with video ...

-Wolfgang

Alan Lichtenstein

Savageduck wrote:

> On 2010-11-07 12:42:14 -0800, Alan Lichtenstein <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Rich wrote:

>>> They must cost more than SD cards to make, purely from a resource use
>>> standpoint. No wonder they want to do away with them.

>> Understandable, but just as a curiosity, I compared the write speeds
>> of a manufacturer's CF and SDHC cards of the same level, and it
>> appeared that the CF card has a much faster write speed. I saw that
>> in the latest B & H catalog. Admittedly, it could be a misprint, but
>> it was repeated, so I'm not sure. I'll have to go and actually see
>> both cards.
>>
>> Also, should that be the case, it would appear that most users of
>> dSLR's would want the faster write speed, making the decision to stop
>> producing the CF cards 'curious' at best.

> The older, slower CF cards are being done away with.
> That leaves the faster, pricier CF cards. So If you can find some of
> those older slower, less expensive cards running at the same speeds as
> the fastest SD cards, and you can live with that, buy them up.
>
> CF cards are going to cost more because they are not making the slower
> cards any more, that market need is being filled with SD cards the
> fastest being 30MB/s.

Sandisk is offering their Extreme Pro SDHC with a claimed write speed of
45 mb/sec.

Alan Lichtenstein

Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-11-08 16:40:24 -0800, Alan Lichtenstein <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:

>>> The older, slower CF cards are being done away with.
>>> That leaves the faster, pricier CF cards. So If you can find some of
>>> those older slower, less expensive cards running at the same speeds
>>> as the fastest SD cards, and you can live with that, buy them up.
>>>
>>> CF cards are going to cost more because they are not making the
>>> slower cards any more, that market need is being filled with SD
>>> cards the fastest being 30MB/s.
>>>

>> Sandisk is offering their Extreme Pro SDHC with a claimed write speed
>> of 45 mb/sec.

> Not on the SanDisk web site I checked. Unless I missed something you
> have other sources for. Their fastest SDHC card I see is 30MB/s.
> < http://www.sandisk.com/products/imaging
>
> I even googled "SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC" and it seems tough for them to
> find.
> <
> http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

My reference, as I stated above was the new B & H catalog. They picture
a Sandisk SDHC Extreme Pro card with a clear indication on the image of
the card, a 45 mb/sec speed. Now, as I said, it may be a misprint, or
simply just plain wrong, but that's were I got the info from.