Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > readonly folder

readonly folder

Jason

Access is saying the file is read only - it is no. however, in explorer
the parent folder is read only - i changed it and selected all sub
folders and files. But the folder reappears as read only. time to
upgrade back to XP Pro.

Jason

So why is Access saying the file is read only. You reminded me - XP
shows all folders as read only but the exact same folders/files under XP
work fine.

On 7/11/2010 14:54, R. C. White wrote:

> ?Hi, Jason.
>
> That "read-only folder" problem has been around for a long time - but it
> is NOT what it seems to be.
>
> See this KB article:
>
> You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of
> folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in
> Windows 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;326549
>
> The key phrase in that KB326549 says, "Unlike the Read-only attribute
> for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by
> Windows,..."
>
> This misleading APPARENT attribute setting has been in effect for years,
> but Microsoft has not changed the "read-only" label, so we still see
> many users each year with the same problem that you are reporting. :>(
>
>> time to upgrade back to XP Pro.

> Wouldn't help. That KB applies to WinXP, too.
>
> For a FOLDER, Read Only does NOT mean read only. :>(
>
> RC

Carlos

Jason,
Have you tried taking ownership of the file?
Carlos
On Nov 6, 11:54*pm, Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So why is Access saying the file is read only. You reminded me - XP
> shows all folders as read only but the exact same folders/files under XP
> work fine.
>
> On 7/11/2010 14:54, R. C. White wrote:
>

> > ?Hi, Jason.

> > That "read-only folder" problem has been around for a long time - but it
> > is NOT what it seems to be.

> > See this KB article:

> > You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of
> > folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in
> > Windows 7
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;326549

> > The key phrase in that KB326549 says, "Unlike the Read-only attribute
> > for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by
> > Windows,..."

> > This misleading APPARENT attribute setting has been in effect for years,
> > but Microsoft has not changed the "read-only" label, so we still see
> > many users each year with the same problem that you are reporting. :>(

> >> time to upgrade back to XP Pro.

> > Wouldn't help. That KB applies to WinXP, too.

> > For a FOLDER, Read Only does NOT mean read only. :>(

> > RC- Hide quoted text -

Jason

yes - already tried that
On 9/11/2010 03:51, Carlos wrote:
> Jason,
> Have you tried taking ownership of the file?
> Carlos
> On Nov 6, 11:54 pm, Jason<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> So why is Access saying the file is read only. You reminded me - XP
>> shows all folders as read only but the exact same folders/files under XP
>> work fine.
>>
>> On 7/11/2010 14:54, R. C. White wrote:
>>Too many quotes

Carlos

Jason,
So you mean you are really the owner of the file, have R/W access to
it and Access can't edit or overwrite it?
What happens if you open the file with Excel? Same warning (read
only)?
Carlos

On Nov 9, 2:23*am, Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> yes - already tried that
> On 9/11/2010 03:51, Carlos wrote:
>

> > Jason,
> > Have you tried taking ownership of the file?
> > Carlos
> > On Nov 6, 11:54 pm, Jason<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> So why is Access saying the file is read only. You reminded me - XP
> >> shows all folders as read only but the exact same folders/files under XP
> >> work fine.

> >> On 7/11/2010 14:54, R. C. White wrote:
> >>Too many quotes- Hide quoted text -

Jason

Excel just says that i would have access to confidentuL INFORMATION so
it looks like an Access issue. But Access works fine on XP.

On 10/11/2010 00:54, Carlos wrote:
> Jason,
> So you mean you are really the owner of the file, have R/W access to
> it and Access can't edit or overwrite it?
> What happens if you open the file with Excel? Same warning (read
> only)?
> Carlos
>
> On Nov 9, 2:23 am, Jason<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> yes - already tried that
>> On 9/11/2010 03:51, Carlos wrote:
>>

>>> Jason,
>>> Have you tried taking ownership of the file?
>>> Carlos

Carlos

Jason,
How about running the Access executable as administrator?
Carlos