Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Stop-Loss is indentured servitude

Re: Stop-Loss is indentured servitude

Bert Hyman

In news:ib1o0j$k41$(E-Mail Removed) 吵hw不f
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dosnt matter how ****ed up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.

Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

richard

On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

> In news:ib1o0j$k41$(E-Mail Removed) 吵hw不f
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Dosnt matter how ****ed up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
>> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
>
> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
> won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
> enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
be slavery, which is illegal.

Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old **** about my
service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:
>
>> In news:ib1o0j$k41$(E-Mail Removed) 吵hw不f
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Dosnt matter how ****ed up you get, the pentagon wont let you
>>> leave... http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

>> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
>>
>> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
>> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years
>> they won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term
>> of their enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or
>> reserve status.

> Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.

Don't think so. It's been challenged and so far as I know, the policy
has been found to be legal.

The possibility of having your active duty extended to the term of your
enlistment is in the contract.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

cully when

On 11/5/2010 5:18 PM, richard wrote:
> On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:
>
>> In news:ib1o0j$k41$(E-Mail Removed) 吵hw不f
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Dosnt matter how ****ed up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
>>> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

>> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
>>
>> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
>> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
>> won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
>> enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

> Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
> I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
> could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
> is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
> be slavery, which is illegal.
>
> Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old **** about my
> service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
> truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
> volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
> mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?

If the terms of service haven't changed, a good lawyer will only collect
money from his client. The fine print when I enlisted included a
statement that the period you enlisted for could be extended for the
duration of any conflict while you were in.

richard

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 17:32:40 -0400, cully when wrote:

> On 11/5/2010 5:18 PM, richard wrote:
>> On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

>>> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
>>>
>>> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
>>> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
>>> won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
>>> enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

>> Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
>> I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
>> could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
>> is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
>> be slavery, which is illegal.
>>
>> Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old **** about my
>> service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
>> truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
>> volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
>> mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?

> If the terms of service haven't changed, a good lawyer will only collect
> money from his client. The fine print when I enlisted included a
> statement that the period you enlisted for could be extended for the
> duration of any conflict while you were in.

That is still slavery. Forcing someone to remain in service against their
will could also be construed as kidnapping. What if that conflict lasted 20
years? Like there isn't someone down the line of new people who could not
replace you if needed?

wrote:

> What if that conflict lasted 20 years?

We have an all-volunteer military; if that concerns you, don't enlist.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Mike Yetto

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>On 05 Nov 2010 20:47:49 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

>> In news:ib1o0j$k41$(E-Mail Removed) 禮n羹hw瞻瞿f
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Dosnt matter how ****ed up you get, the pentagon wont let you leave...
>>> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/05-14

>> The article you cite has nothing to do with stop loss.
>>
>> Stop loss involves an involuntary extension of a term of active duty;
>> someone thinks they've enlisted for 3 years, but after three years they
>> won't let them leave, extending their active duty up to the term of their
>> enlistment, rather than transferring them to inactive or reserve status.

>Any good lawyer would get them out in a flash.
>I got booted out when I did because if I had 91 days of active service, I
>could get benefits. That was 1970. As a pure all volunteer service, there
>is no legal way to keep someone beyond their enlistment terms. That would
>be slavery, which is illegal.

The contract you sign is for six years. There will be two or
four years of active duty and the remainder as inactive reserves.
It is an administrative move for someone to be recalled to or
kept in active status.

>Yeah I know Evan, you're gonna come up with the age old **** about my
>service record. Claiming I was dishonorably discharged, which is not the
>truth. I was booted for medical reasons and was HONORABLY discharged. I
>volunteered when the draft was in full swing. I served our country for a
>mere 86 days. Now where is that service record of yours?

Your discharge designation notwithstanding, you are not a veteran
and are not due any consideration of any kind that is due
veterans.

Mike "four years USAF, as if that affects your claims" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Bucky Breeder

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> sucked this out so bad:

> Any good lawyer... <drivel snipped!>

That's just st00pid! But then again rts IS just st00pid.
What does this arse-wipe even know about "good" or "lawyer"
except for his divorces and his publicks defenners...
Just because he got some child-molester charges dropped
doesn't mean he be a draft-dodging terrorist supporter.

Join the killfile rts club because s/he's just too st00pid!

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.

Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
And... good luck if there's an apocalypse.

(And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)