Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > File Location

File Location

Jim Heavey

Hello, I have done some volunteer work for my club and develop a web site
in ASP.Net. I have the code working fine and now I am ready to move the
code up to their web hosting company. I have never actually moved code
onto a real web hosting company, so everything is all new to me. Some of
the questions I have which hopefully someone will be able to point me in
the right direction....

1. How do I alter my connection string for my MDB file to point to the new
file location. For example, if my file will be hosted at "www.MyClub.com"
is there someway to change my file location to be
www.MyClub.com/MyAccessdb.mdb? Or will i be given a "real" logical drive
to place my file into and change my connection string accordingly.
2..Is there some mechanism in VS.Net 2002 to actually move the compiled
software in the "bin" folder?
3. My project current has a reference to a module outside of the project.
Do I just move the corresponding .dll into the bin directory? Do I need to
alter/re-adjust the reference which I currently have (is file location
stored with the reference??) or just by moving the file into the bin
folder, all will be right with the world.

I'm sure I will find other things that I need to know/discover, but this is
it for now.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malek

1. where you can store your file depends on your hosting ... if you put the
connection string in the config file, it should be easy to arrange it after
you get the info ... (you don't want it to be on the application folder-and
risk it being accessibile through internet!!!)...
2. you simply need to copy the bin folder
3. did you set the refernce "Copy local" property to true ? if so, it will
be in the bin folder, and you need to do nothing to have it work (just copy
the bin folder with all referenced dll that are in it)

"Jim Heavey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9497D4E0B8AE1JimHeaveyhotmailcom@207.46.24 8.16...
> Hello, I have done some volunteer work for my club and develop a web site
> in ASP.Net. I have the code working fine and now I am ready to move the
> code up to their web hosting company. I have never actually moved code
> onto a real web hosting company, so everything is all new to me. Some of
> the questions I have which hopefully someone will be able to point me in
> the right direction....
>
> 1. How do I alter my connection string for my MDB file to point to the

new
> file location. For example, if my file will be hosted at "www.MyClub.com"
> is there someway to change my file location to be
> www.MyClub.com/MyAccessdb.mdb? Or will i be given a "real" logical drive
> to place my file into and change my connection string accordingly.
> 2..Is there some mechanism in VS.Net 2002 to actually move the compiled
> software in the "bin" folder?
> 3. My project current has a reference to a module outside of the project.
> Do I just move the corresponding .dll into the bin directory? Do I need

> alter/re-adjust the reference which I currently have (is file location
> stored with the reference??) or just by moving the file into the bin
> folder, all will be right with the world.
>
> I'm sure I will find other things that I need to know/discover, but this

is
> it for now.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Your post went unanswered. Have you resolved this issue?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]