Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Turning off WFP in SP3

Turning off WFP in SP3

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

Is there any (easy) wasy to do this?

Tried a few methods I found but none of them seem to work....

Bucky Breeder

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
snot-bubbled this one via teh googlegroups:

> Is there any (easy) wasy to do this?
>
> Tried a few methods I found but none of them seem to work....

Have you tried searching your matronly Google for
"Anti-Windows-File-Protection" [software]? There's
probably some virulent virus that can do that for you
that is not secured in a DARPA vault down deep inside
of Stone Mountian, Colorado or Groom Lake, Nevada...
which do not even exist, by the way.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.

Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Tim Meddick

Download the free application ; FreshUI.exe

In which is a setting to turn off Windows File Protection.....

It's quite a small, easy to use program, with allot of other Window's
"tweaks".

Just go to http://www.freshdevices.com/ and scroll down to "Fresh UI" - the
free tweaking tool.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any (easy) wasy to do this?
>
> Tried a few methods I found but none of them seem to work....

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Subject: Turning off WFP in SP3
> Is there any (easy) wasy to do this?

There are hacks.

- don't crosspost
- get a newsreader instead of GG for usenet
- if you are going to use GG, get a handle
- the subject is not part of the message body

> Tried a few methods I found but none of them seem to work....

You didn't say why you think you need to do it. Maybe/Probably it is the
wrong thing to do.

http://www.bitsum.com/aboutwfp.asp Windows File Protection (WFP) is a
mechanism that protects system files from being modified or deleted. -
In order to protect the integrity of the system, Microsoft did not
document a way to disable WFP. - Booting to Safe Mode was the only way
Microsoft provided for replacing a protected file. - Enter the hacks.

Hack Method 1: Disable WFP for specific folders until the computer is
next rebooted via manual handle manipulation
Hack Method 2: Disable WFP completely until the computer is next
rebooted via undocumented SFC API
Hack Method 3: Disable WFP on a specific file for 1 minute via
undocumented SFC API
Hack Method 4: Disable WFP permanently via patches and undocumented
registry value
Hack Method 5: Disable WFP permanently on specific files via patching
the protected file lis

--
Mike Easter

Jose

On Nov 4, 10:49*am, "Tim Meddick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Download the free application ; *FreshUI.exe
>
> In which is a setting to turn off Windows File Protection.....
>
> It's quite a small, easy to use program, with allot of other Window's
> "tweaks".
>
> Just go tohttp://www.freshdevices.com/and scroll down to "Fresh UI" - the
> free tweaking tool.
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, * *Tim Meddick, * *Peckham, London. * *
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Is there any (easy) wasy to do this?

> > Tried a few methods I found but none of them seem to work....

Can you describe what it does to disable WFP so I don't have to
download it?

Just curious how it works...

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there any (easy) wasy to do this?
>
> Tried a few methods I found but none of them seem to work....

This article has one interesting link in the references section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_File_Protection

http://www.bitsum.com/aboutwfp.asp

http://www.bitsum.com/wfpdeprotect.php <--- de-protect for 1 minute

Might be worth playing with. I suppose it depends on whether
the undocumented API stays put or not, as to whether it
works.

Paul

Tim Meddick

In answer to your question; locate the following registry key (in
Regedit.exe) :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

....and then change (or add) the [Dword] value named "SFCDisable" and set
it's value to "1"

....then reboot.

*Note - Please exercise care when editing the registry, always create a
backup and / or create a 'System Restore' point first.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Nov 7, 2:06*am, "Tim Meddick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In answer to your question; locate the following registry key (in
> Regedit.exe) :
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
>
> ...and then change (or add) the [Dword] value named "SFCDisable" and set
> it's value to "1"

This doesnt work