Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: where did they find this: "(W3C) recommends lowercase attributes/attribute values in their HTML 4 recommendation"

Re: where did they find this: "(W3C) recommends lowercase attributes/attribute values in their HTML 4 recommendation"

Eric Bednarz

Mike S <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> […] w3schools is a pretty decent site with a lot of
> good information

I always found it a really terrible site with lots of totally wrong
information.

> http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_attributes.asp
>
> HTML Tip: Use Lowercase Attributes
>
> Attribute names and attribute values are case-insensitive.

In SGML this is not really about case sensitivity but case folding;
luckily HTML 4 has nothing to do with ISO 8879 short of the normative
reference.

There are three forms of attribute values in HTML 4:

1) Case sensitive (CDATA)
2) Everything else
3) Those cases where the normative prose contradicts the normative
syntax and consequently 1) and 2) (e.g. the ID attribute)

> However, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommends lowercase
> attributes/attribute values in their HTML 4 recommendation.

Where, exactly (it’s not an ISO standard, for the better or worse, you
can read it too, for free)?

Mike S

On 11/3/2010 4:39 PM, Eric Bednarz wrote:
> Mike S<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> […] w3schools is a pretty decent site with a lot of
>> good information

> I always found it a really terrible site with lots of totally wrong
> information.
>
>> http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_attributes.asp
>>
>> HTML Tip: Use Lowercase Attributes
>>
>> Attribute names and attribute values are case-insensitive.

> In SGML this is not really about case sensitivity but case folding;
> luckily HTML 4 has nothing to do with ISO 8879 short of the normative
> reference.
>
> There are three forms of attribute values in HTML 4:
>
> 1) Case sensitive (CDATA)
> 2) Everything else
> 3) Those cases where the normative prose contradicts the normative
> syntax and consequently 1) and 2) (e.g. the ID attribute)
>
>> However, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommends lowercase
>> attributes/attribute values in their HTML 4 recommendation.

> Where, exactly (it’s not an ISO standard, for the better or worse, you
> can read it too, for free)?

Interesting reply, thanks. I wasn't stating the last sentence, I was
quoting it from the w3schools site, I should have used quotation marks.
I did read through it and I didn't see that claim made anywhere, that's
why I asked. So I learned that the site is not entirely reliable. Thanks.

cwdjrxyz

On Nov 3, 7:18*pm, Mike S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/3/2010 4:39 PM, Eric Bednarz wrote:
>

> > Mike S<(E-Mail Removed)> *writes:

> >> [] w3schools is a pretty decent site with a lot of
> >> good information

> > I always found it a really terrible site with lots of totally wrong
> > information.

> >>http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_attributes.asp

> >> HTML Tip: Use Lowercase Attributes

> >> Attribute names and attribute values are case-insensitive.

> > In SGML this is not really about case sensitivity but case folding;
> > luckily HTML 4 has nothing to do with ISO 8879 short of the normative
> > reference.

> > There are three forms of attribute values in HTML 4:

> > 1) Case sensitive (CDATA)
> > 2) Everything else
> > 3) Those cases where the normative prose contradicts the normative
> > * * syntax and consequently 1) and 2) (e.g. the ID attribute)

> >> However, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommends lowercase
> >> attributes/attribute values in their HTML 4 recommendation.

> > Where, exactly (its not an ISO standard, for the better or worse, you
> > can read it too, for free)?

> Interesting reply, thanks. I wasn't stating the last sentence, I was
> quoting it from the w3schools site, I should have used quotation marks.
> I did read through it and I didn't see that claim made anywhere, that's
> why I asked. So I learned that the site is not entirely reliable. Thanks.

Although lower case is not necessary for most code in html to work, it
is necessary for much of xhtml, especially if an xhtml page is served
properly as application/xhtml+xml. Unfortunately perhaps over 90% of
xhtml pages are mis-served as html because they use the
extension .html which is reserved for mime type text/html on most
servers. Thus to serve true xhtml, you have to assign another
extension, such as .xhtml, to mime type application/xhtml+xml on the
server. When properly served, an xhtml page is parsed by a very strict
xml parser rather than the rather loose html one because an xhtml
paged may contain xml, html, or a mixture of both. XML devices will
tolerate nearly no errors, and everything must be closed in xml.

Using upper case for much html may cause no problems, and also is not
found to be an error at the w3c validator. However I write both xhtml
and html pages. I like to use lower case for both. Otherwise I have to
remember I am writing a xhtml page and I must not use upper case as
some do when writing an html page. Although making errors in case may
be stupid, many hard-to-find page problems can result from such simple
things. It should be noted that Javascript does require some use of
upper case.It has a set of rules that differ somewhat from html. Thus
when using Javascript on a xhtml page, you often have to enclose the
script between Cdata begin and end tag to indicate that the script is
not xhtml, or using an external script file often will work.

Mike S

On 11/4/2010 2:19 PM, cwdjrxyz wrote:
> On Nov 3, 7:18 pm, Mike S<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I always found it a really terrible site with lots of totally wrong
>>> information.

>>> In SGML this is not really about case sensitivity but case folding;
>>> luckily HTML 4 has nothing to do with ISO 8879 short of the normative
>>> reference.

>>> There are three forms of attribute values in HTML 4:

>>> 1) Case sensitive (CDATA)
>>> 2) Everything else
>>> 3) Those cases where the normative prose contradicts the normative
>>> syntax and consequently 1) and 2) (e.g. the ID attribute)

>>> Where, exactly (its not an ISO standard, for the better or worse, you
>>> can read it too, for free)?

>> Interesting reply, thanks. I wasn't stating the last sentence, I was
>> quoting it from the w3schools site, I should have used quotation marks.
>> I did read through it and I didn't see that claim made anywhere, that's
>> why I asked. So I learned that the site is not entirely reliable. Thanks.

> Although lower case is not necessary for most code in html to work, it
> is necessary for much of xhtml, especially if an xhtml page is served
> properly as application/xhtml+xml. Unfortunately perhaps over 90% of
> xhtml pages are mis-served as html because they use the
> extension .html which is reserved for mime type text/html on most
> servers. Thus to serve true xhtml, you have to assign another
> extension, such as .xhtml, to mime type application/xhtml+xml on the
> server. When properly served, an xhtml page is parsed by a very strict
> xml parser rather than the rather loose html one because an xhtml
> paged may contain xml, html, or a mixture of both. XML devices will
> tolerate nearly no errors, and everything must be closed in xml.
>
> Using upper case for much html may cause no problems, and also is not
> found to be an error at the w3c validator. However I write both xhtml
> and html pages. I like to use lower case for both. Otherwise I have to
> remember I am writing a xhtml page and I must not use upper case as
> some do when writing an html page. Although making errors in case may
> be stupid, many hard-to-find page problems can result from such simple
> things. It should be noted that Javascript does require some use of
> upper case.It has a set of rules that differ somewhat from html. Thus
> when using Javascript on a xhtml page, you often have to enclose the
> script between Cdata begin and end tag to indicate that the script is
> not xhtml, or using an external script file often will work.

So far I have been able to do everything I need with HTML PHP, CSS and
javascript, I didn't know that document.getElementById would cause an
error without using CDATA in XHTML, thanks for mentioning that, in case
I run into it in a future project.