Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Completely removing IE and Media Player

Reply
Thread Tools

Completely removing IE and Media Player

 
 
BertieBigBollox@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2010
On Nov 7, 3:36*am, Stefan Patric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:26:49 -0600, Bill in Co wrote:
> > Anthony Buckland wrote:
> >> "Raymond Schmit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>> ...
> >>> Why remove it ... I have those applications still present on my disk,
> >>> but i never use it ....(or when IE is the only Webbrowser able to
> >>> access a site)

>
> >> Maybe you missed the OP's explanation. *He has to deliver a machine on
> >> which it's _impossible_ to use it.

>
> > How so??? * *No concrete and substantive reasons were ever given.

>
> The OP said (in one of the many replies) it was one of his client's
> requirements. *No other reason--concrete, substantive or otherwise--need
> be given: *it's what the client wants.
>
> Stef


Thanks stef. someone who understands how things work in the real
world.
I ant go into exact details because of client confidentiality etc, and
I dont see its relevant in any case.

There are people on here who need to realise that IT is used in many
different industries, situations and locations etc.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BertieBigBollox@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2010
OK. If anyones interested I cracked this in the end.

Disabling SFC proved pretty much nigh on impossible. Registry hacks
etc dont work. Also, nlite doesnt seem to work either.

Anyway, in the end, booted into safe mode and deleted the stuff in
program files/media player and program files/internet explorer
manually. Must admit I did expect SFC to replace it all when I booted
manually but it didnt. Job done.

Now I've got a laptop on which it is impossible to run or reinstall
either media player or IE.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Raymond Schmit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2010
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 01:20:51 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Nov 6, 10:26*pm, "Bill in Co" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Anthony Buckland wrote:
>> > "Raymond Schmit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> ...
>> >> Why remove it ... I have those applications still present on my disk,
>> >> but i never use it ....(or when IE is the only Webbrowser able to
>> >> access a site)

>>
>> > Maybe you missed the OP's explanation. *He has to deliver a
>> > machine on which it's _impossible_ to use it.

>>
>> How so??? * *No concrete and substantive reasons were ever given.

>
>Doesnt matter the reason. Its a REQUIREMENT of the client - end of.

It looks like a STUPID requirement
You wrot that giving reasons of the need for such requirment will
affect the confidentiallity of your customer ... i am flabbergasted

 
Reply With Quote
 
BertieBigBollox@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2010
On Nov 24, 3:04*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 01:20:51 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>
>
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Nov 6, 10:26*pm, "Bill in Co" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >> Anthony Buckland wrote:
> >> > "Raymond Schmit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> >> ...
> >> >> Why remove it ... I have those applications still present on my disk,
> >> >> but i never use it ....(or when IE is the only Webbrowser able to
> >> >> access a site)

>
> >> > Maybe you missed the OP's explanation. *He has to deliver a
> >> > machine on which it's _impossible_ to use it.

>
> >> How so??? * *No concrete and substantive reasons were ever given.

>
> >Doesnt matter the reason. Its a REQUIREMENT of the client - end of.

>
> It looks like a STUPID requirement
> You wrot that giving reasons of the need for such requirment will
> affect the confidentiallity of your customer ... i am flabbergasted
>


Stupid - maybe?

You are aware that Windows is used in computers that do more than just
sit on someones desk in an office, aren't you? For instance, in
applications that have a degree of government involvement/security
requirement etc.
 
Reply With Quote
 
BertieBigBollox@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2010
On Nov 24, 9:58*am, "Bill in Co" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > OK. If anyones interested I cracked this in the end.

>
> > Disabling SFC proved pretty much nigh on impossible. Registry hacks
> > etc dont work. Also, nlite doesnt seem to work either.

>
> > Anyway, in the end, booted into safe mode and deleted the stuff in
> > program files/media player and program files/internet explorer
> > manually. Must admit I did expect SFC to replace it all when I booted
> > manually but it didnt. Job done.

>
> It may have replaced some DLLs that you deleted in those directories), but
> probably not the whole enchilada - I think that's what SFC would do,
> anyways.
> Or perhaps it only looks at DLLs in the system32 folder - not sure.
>
> > Now I've got a laptop on which it is impossible to run or reinstall
> > either media player or IE.

>
> What if someone had saved the wmp media player installer file and simply
> tried to reinstall it? * Ditto on the IE installer package (assuming they
> even had it). * I guess you've got something else that prevents them from
> doing that which I missed, although then again it's probably doubtful most
> clients would know about this.


USB is locked down using a product called Disknet Pro but I guess
ultimately the end user could put it back on if they really put their
mind to it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Meddick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2010
You all kno "trotter's & co" is fictional , don't you ?!

There is no nelson Mandela House! (only a nelson Mandela Way, and that
goes for everything else, re; names in "only fools" ).

Sorry if I smashed someone's precarious varcariosities!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

(I realise I'm a month late answering)


"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ib6kv8$dqb$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 01:55:42 +0000, Tim Meddick wrote:
>
>> Tim Meddick, Peckham, London

>
> Do you live anywhere near Nelson Mandela House?
>
>
>
> < clipp >
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2010
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:28:43 +0000, Tim Meddick wrote:

Top-posting corrected.

>
>
> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ib6kv8$dqb$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 01:55:42 +0000, Tim Meddick wrote:
>>
>>> Tim Meddick, Peckham, London

>>
>> Do you live anywhere near Nelson Mandela House?
>>
>>
>>
>> < clipp >
>>

> You all kno "trotter's & co" is fictional , don't you ?!
>


Nah!!!!! You're kidding!!!!!

> There is no nelson Mandela House!


Really?????

> (only a nelson Mandela Way, and that
> goes for everything else, re; names in "only fools" ).
>


I'm shocked.

> Sorry if I smashed someone's precarious varcariosities!
>


You didn't. I think you may have missed my intended humour. Are you an
American, by any chance? They tend to miss humour if it's not right-in-
yer-face slapstick.

> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.
>


Hey, Tim. Why not set yourself up a nice text signature file in your 'My
Documents' folder and get whatever you use to post to newsgroups to point
to it and set it under a nicely formatted signature delimiter in your
posts? Then, if you start replying correctly, in line (not top-posting or
bottom-posting- only ****wits do that), anyone using a proper newsreader
and who wishes to reply to any of your posts won't have to manually
delete the section of your post containing what you consider your
signature , but their client will strip it automatically when they reply
to you.

> (I realise I'm a month late answering)


Hard not to notice.


--
 
Reply With Quote
 
Raymond Schmit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2010
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 06:17:51 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Nov 24, 3:04*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 01:20:51 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>>
>>
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >On Nov 6, 10:26*pm, "Bill in Co" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> >wrote:
>> >> Anthony Buckland wrote:
>> >> > "Raymond Schmit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> >> ...
>> >> >> Why remove it ... I have those applications still present on my disk,
>> >> >> but i never use it ....(or when IE is the only Webbrowser able to
>> >> >> access a site)

>>
>> >> > Maybe you missed the OP's explanation. *He has to deliver a
>> >> > machine on which it's _impossible_ to use it.

>>
>> >> How so??? * *No concrete and substantive reasons were ever given.

>>
>> >Doesnt matter the reason. Its a REQUIREMENT of the client - end of.

>>
>> It looks like a STUPID requirement
>> You wrot that giving reasons of the need for such requirment will
>> affect the confidentiallity of your customer ... i am flabbergasted
>>

>
>Stupid - maybe?
>
>You are aware that Windows is used in computers that do more than just
>sit on someones desk in an office, aren't you? For instance, in
>applications that have a degree of government involvement/security
>requirement etc.


So the best answer is to use a well protected Linux OS instead of a
Microsoft OS.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: VOIPfone down completely ... I mean very completely !! cjd UK VOIP 2 10-10-2008 01:17 PM
Looking for ACE media player and DivX medial player Programming SDK anil842003@gmail.com Computer Support 2 05-07-2007 10:18 AM
Window Media player and Real Player crashing kerrcromwell Computer Support 2 04-29-2005 12:10 AM
Removing Windows Media Player Shortcut key lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz NZ Computing 1 04-26-2005 10:33 PM
OT: Removing Media Player Intigration? Ben MCSE 31 10-28-2004 04:29 PM



Advertisments