Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > What people are using to access this mailing list

What people are using to access this mailing list

John Bond

Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
service?

My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
of following this and other lists.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers, JB.

Steven D'Aprano

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:

> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
> or online service?

Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.

--
Steven

tinnews@isbd.co.uk

John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
> mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
> service?
>
> My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
> of following this and other lists.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

I read it as a Usenet newsgroup, far better than as an E-Mail list
IMHO. Wherever I have a choice (quite a few mailing lists are
'gatewayed' with newsgroups) I choose the newsgroup, newsreaders are
much more able to manage this sort of discussion group.

Alternatively, if you want to stay with the E-Mail format then use
some sort of filtering that will allow you to send each mailing list
to its own folder. I do this with a home-grown python script but most
E-Mail programs have the ability to do this themselves nowadays.

--
Chris Green

John Bond

On 3/11/2010 11:17 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
>
>> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
>> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
>> or online service?

> Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.

Using what client (or web client)?

Cheers, JB

Paul Rudin

John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
>>
>>> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
>>> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
>>> or online service?

>> Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.
>>

> Using what client (or web client)?

Emacs, of course :-;

Adam Tauno Williams

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 11:17 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
> > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
> > this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
> > or online service?

GNOME's awesome Evolution mail (IMAP) client.

Via a SIEVE script on a Cyrus IMAP server the mailist traffic is
automatically placed in a folder. Then it can be read with any IMAP
traffic. Delete the silly traffic and that folder becomes an invaluable
resource of useful information [no wading through pages and pages of
search-result-swill].

<http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/index.shtml>
<http://www.cyrusimap.org/#imap>
--
Adam Tauno Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
> mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
> service?

Usenet group comp.lang.python. Most of the time, using MT-NewsWatcher
on my Mac. Occasionally via the Google Groups web interface.

Grant Edwards

On 2010-11-03, Paul Rudin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.
>>>

>> Using what client (or web client)?

> Emacs, of course :-;

Slrn, of course.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am having FUN...
at I wonder if it's NET FUN or

QoS

Dan M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message-id: <(E-Mail Removed)>

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
>
> > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
> > this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
> > or online service?
> >
> > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
> > new way of following this and other lists.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Cheers, JB.

> Pan newsreader

Using Perl and NewsSurfer to read this newsgroup (check headers).

Thanks,

Wolfgang Strobl

John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
>mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
>service?

I'm reading comp.lang.python on usenet, using Forté Agent as a
newsreader, which connects via nntp to a locally managed leafnode, which
in turn is fed by http://news.individual.net/ (for most newsgroups) and
there). I usually try to avoid reading mailing lists as mail.

>My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
>of following this and other lists.

Another way to regain control is to use separate mail adresses for
different purposes. I'm adding another alias for a new subscription or a
new registration email adress each time I subscribe to something.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions