Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Ways of accessing this mailing list?

Ways of accessing this mailing list?

John Bond

Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
or online service?

My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
new way of following this and other lists.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers, JB.

Grant Edwards

On 2010-11-02, John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
> or online service?
>
> My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
> new way of following this and other lists.

Point an NNTP client at new.gmane.org.

This "list" is also a Usenet newsgroup (comp.lang.python), and there
are a number of cheap/low-cost text-only Usenet providers.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... or were you
at driving the PONTIAC that

Mark Wooding

John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
> or online service?
>
> My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
> new way of following this and other lists.

I read and post to it as comp.lang.python. I maintain a local NNTP
server, which interacts with my ISP's news server. I read and post news
(and mail) using GNU Emacs and Gnus.

(Interestingly, if enormous folders are your problem, Gnus can apply
news-like expiry rules to email folders.)

-- [mdw]

Jonathan Hartley

On Nov 3, 9:27*pm, Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > On 2010-11-02, John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find
> > > a new way of following this and other lists.

> > Point an NNTP client at new.gmane.org.

> Ditto, but the correct hostname is ‘news.gmane.org’.

Hey.

I'm was trying this, and got stuck for a while. I have found
'gmane.comp.python.devel', which looks great for lurking, along with
many other entries under gmane.comp.python.*. But I couldn't find
*this* list (comp.lang.python) for ages, despite scrutinising possible
aliases.

For anyone else in the same boat, you are looking for
gmane.comp.python.general.

Jonathan

Martin Schoeoen

On 2010-11-04, Mark Wooding <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
>> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
>> or online service?
>>
>> My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
>> new way of following this and other lists.

> I read and post to it as comp.lang.python. I maintain a local NNTP
> server, which interacts with my ISP's news server. I read and post news
> (and mail) using GNU Emacs and Gnus.
>
> (Interestingly, if enormous folders are your problem, Gnus can apply
> news-like expiry rules to email folders.)

Same here: comp.lang.python and gnus. Well, right now I am actually trying
out slrn -- a bit of a dejavu experience since I used slrn a bit in the
early 1990s (and I have not used vi in many, many years).

I have tried out other programs such as traditional email clients and
mainstream gui programs such as Pan but find that user interface paradigm
does not work well for usenet news and me.

/Martin

Monte Milanuk

On 12/11/10 3:32 PM, Martin Schoeoen wrote:
> On 2010-11-04, Mark Wooding<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> John Bond<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
>>> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
>>> or online service?

Thunderbird + gmane works for me.

Harishankar

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:15:13 -0800, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> Thunderbird + gmane works for me.

I myself post using Pan Usenet client accessing this mailing list from
gmane.

The advantage of a proper newsreader software is that it quotes correctly
(i.e. quote at top, reply below). Many Usenet and mailing list users get
angry if you top post (i.e. quote below the reply)

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)

Harishankar

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:18:52 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> That's a function of the person typing into it, not of the program.

I was talking about the default program behaviour. Yes, you can move the
cursor up or down, but I was talking about the way regular e-mail clients
generally handle quoted blocks.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)

Emile van Sebille

On 12/12/2010 2:07 AM Harishankar said...
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:18:52 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>
>> That's a function of the person typing into it, not of the program.

> I was talking about the default program behaviour. Yes, you can move the
> cursor up or down, but I was talking about the way regular e-mail clients
> generally handle quoted blocks.

http://web.archive.org/web/200412241...-Oct/1698.html

Emile

Ways Of Accessing The Internet Biff Computer Support 16 01-31-2008 01:24 AM
Ways to get the FAQ of comp.lang.vhdl Edwin Naroska VHDL 1 06-05-2007 04:47 PM
Ways to pass? Al MCSE 45 01-30-2004 08:51 PM
Ways to get the FAQ of comp.lang.vhdl Edwin Naroska VHDL 0 11-28-2003 03:23 PM
Ways to get the FAQ of comp.lang.vhdl Edwin Naroska VHDL 0 08-29-2003 04:49 PM

Advertisments