Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Mail Merge from python data

Re: Mail Merge from python data

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:32:13 +1000, Dylan Evans <(E-Mail Removed)>

> I'm setting up a database for an organisation who want to do mail merges in
> office 2010. I know i can use the MySQL ODBC driver for the mail merge but i
> have set up the database with lots of relations and many-to-many links which
> i'm sure will lead to a huge amount of confusion (I think, i don't really
> know much about mail merge).
>
> What i want to know is, is there anyway to send data from python, which the
> UI is written in, to office templates and mail merges?

Ad hoc mail merge, or a long lived form?

If a long lived form, I'd probably define a query or view (I think
MySQL 5.x has output-only views) that isolates just to the data fields
used in the mail merge.

{"many-to-many" links? I presume you mean an intersection table so you
have one-to-many<>many-to-one type end-points}
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN

Tim Harig

This page didn't make it to through to my nntp server so I appologize if I
miss something that was covered.

On 2010-11-03, Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:32:13 +1000, Dylan Evans <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> I'm setting up a database for an organisation who want to do mail merges in
>> office 2010. I know i can use the MySQL ODBC driver for the mail merge but i
>> have set up the database with lots of relations and many-to-many links which
>> i'm sure will lead to a huge amount of confusion (I think, i don't really
>> know much about mail merge).

Many to many relationships without some kind of intersection table are
considered a rather poor practice in general.

>> What i want to know is, is there anyway to send data from python, which the
>> UI is written in, to office templates and mail merges?

> If a long lived form, I'd probably define a query or view (I think
> MySQL 5.x has output-only views) that isolates just to the data fields
> used in the mail merge.

I agree that a view would be the best solution if you have the access to do
so; but, a couple of other alternatives come to mind in case you do not.

1. Do the mail merge in Python using a Word template. Then you can add any
kind of logic that you need to the merge.

2. Add some kind of export function to your python UI that allows you to
export the data to an Excel sheet, CSV, or even another ODBC data
source (like another MySQL table or database that you might have
access to).

ASP.NET Mail Merge Deployment cmptrnerd9@charter.net ASP .Net 0 02-22-2005 01:57 PM
Mail merge using TB Ranjit Firefox 0 01-02-2005 05:23 PM
Any ASP.NET Example? Automate Word to Perform a Client-Side Mail Merge Martin Feuersteiner ASP .Net 0 07-19-2004 03:07 AM
How to emulate Word mail merge in HTML? VB Programmer ASP .Net 2 05-20-2004 04:32 PM
Mail::Bulkmail - multipart breaks when doing mail merge Patrick Perl Misc 0 02-17-2004 08:04 PM

Advertisments