Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Belkin wireless G router

Belkin wireless G router

Richard

On 3/11/2010 8:20 a.m., Squiggle wrote:
> I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
> but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
> speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
>
> I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
> just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
> me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
> to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
> on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
>
> Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
> router that'd be good to.
>
> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
> available (2.00.20 IIRC)
>
> Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
> warranty replacement.

Wireless or wired?

if wireless, thats what I get on any gear here, depending on if anyone
is cooking and what the flatmates N network is doing at the time.

Richard

On 3/11/2010 5:17 p.m., Squiggle wrote:
> On Nov 3, 1:24 pm, "PeeCee"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Squiggle" wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
>> but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
>> speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
>> just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
>> me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
>> to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
>> on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
>>
>> Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
>> router that'd be good to.
>>
>> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
>> available (2.00.20 IIRC)
>>
>> Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
>> warranty replacement.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Squigs
>>
>> I can only recall a couple of Belkins I've dealt with, neither were what I
>> would call 'reliable'.
>>
>> One was a WiFi access point I could not get to talk to a a Dynalink single
>> port Modem, nor could two other 'tech's the owner had tried.
>> (solved with a new modem with built in WiFi)
>>
>> The other was the same as yours.
>> In this case the Wifi was totally unreliable over a distance of 2 metres
>> through one stud wall.
>> Even directly wired it has not proven to be that good requiring rebooting
>> every few day's.
>>
>> I note the high street retailers are not stocking them any more, usually a
>> good sign they have not been a successful model.
>> BTW do some more research on NetComm.
>> NetComm is the parent of Dynalink and we all know how bad Dynalinks have
>> been over the last 2-3 years.
>> If you look at the NetComm websitehttp://www.netcomm.com.au/products/dynalinkyou'll see they are still trying
>> to flog very similar looking products to those that gave so much trouble.
>>
>> Best
>> Paul.

> Cheers Paul, i suspected as much.
>
> Looks like the flatmates will have to put up with Cat6 cables across
> the floor for a week or two till I buy a decent WiFi adsl2 router.
> If anybody wants to recommend a reasonable quality WiFi (802.11g is
> good enough) adsl2 router.
>
> Are dlinks still considered to be rubbish or did dlink sort out the
> firmware issues? (dsl604Ts are cheap on trademe)
> And the thomson 585v7 that telecom replaced them with.. still budget
> rubbish or something decent?
>
> TIA again

Netgear dg 834g - been rock solid on the installs of them I have, Dont
think they have ever needed a restart other than when ISPs have gone and
got things stuck in a PPP up but no routes situation.

John Little

On Nov 3, 5:53*pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I purchased a Cisco (Linksys WAG160N) aout 3 months ago from DSE.

I have one and while it connects well, much better than the one it
replaced, it has two significant problems:

- There's a long-standing fault, that randomly causes different
devices on the subnet not to see each other; wireless isolation mode
gets turned on, and with version 1 of the *hardware* the problem is
not fixable in firmware. This usually only affects the scanner on my
printer. A reset and the scanner works. (Maybe yours is version 2?).
- Traffic statistics are completely absent. All I want is internet
totals by mac address, but I'd settle for traffic totals for the ADSL
connection.

I've considered using OpenWrt, but when I looked I couldn't find an
image doing both ADSL and wireless.

Regards, John