Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Generalization Of The Week

Generalization Of The Week

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/lessons-from-the-symbian-failure/7673>:

Open source is a great way to spark or accelerate momentum. It’s a
terrible way to reverse a product’s decline.
— Matt Asay

I don’t think that’s right. If it were true, we wouldn’t have Blender: it
started out as a proprietary in-house product of NeoGeo, which they tried to
sell via NaN. NaN went bust, and it looked like Blender would go down with
it. Until a campaign was launched to buy out the rights so it could be made
Open Source; they achieved that goal in seven weeks, and the rest is
history.

<http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/history/>

John Little

On Nov 2, 3:27*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/lessons-from-the-symbian-failur...>:
>
> * * Open source is a great way to spark or accelerate momentum. Its a
> * * terrible way to reverse a products decline.
> * * * * Matt Asay
>
> I dont think thats right...

Yeah, I think that it's an example of "cum hoc ergo propter hoc";
there are many products or projects declining whose sources are
opened, in the absence of any reason not to.

Regards, John

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, John
Little wrote:

> ... there are many products or projects declining whose sources are
> opened, in the absence of any reason not to.

It’s better than not doing so—at least it leaves open the chance of someone
else doing something with it.

Too many times companies go down, and take their software with them, under
the firm misconception that it is “valuable intellectual property”. How many
millions of lines of code are now dead, lost, gone, stuck on mouldering
discs at the back of a drawer somewhere? BeOS? OS/2? AmigaDOS? Countless
apps ... games ... who knows ...