Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Photo sharing sites?

Reply
Thread Tools

Photo sharing sites?

 
 
Joe J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2010
Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
posted photos.
I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but if it
is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook, Twitter etc. to
send the pictures and make copies.
I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
Facebook type sharing.
Do all the sites operate like that?
My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.

Thanks,

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Baron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2010
Joe J Inscribed thus:

> Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
> posted photos.
> I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but
> if it is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook,
> Twitter etc. to send the pictures and make copies.
> I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
> Facebook type sharing.
> Do all the sites operate like that?
> My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
>
> Thanks,


It is next to impossible to prevent copying in some form ! About all
you can do is use a file sharing site that gives you a link that you
can pass on to only those people that you want to view the pictures.
Of course if a third party then passes on that link it could become
public. There are various techniques that you can use to watermark the
pictures, at least then you have some proof of ownership.

HTH.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Strickland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2010

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iakq43$4v8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Joe J Inscribed thus:
>
>> Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
>> posted photos.
>> I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but
>> if it is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook,
>> Twitter etc. to send the pictures and make copies.
>> I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
>> Facebook type sharing.
>> Do all the sites operate like that?
>> My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
>>
>> Thanks,

>
> It is next to impossible to prevent copying in some form ! About all
> you can do is use a file sharing site that gives you a link that you
> can pass on to only those people that you want to view the pictures.
> Of course if a third party then passes on that link it could become
> public. There are various techniques that you can use to watermark the
> pictures, at least then you have some proof of ownership.
>




Watermarking your work makes it so nobody would even want to copy it. Who
wants a picture of the Grand Canyon with BOB'S PICTURE watermarked across
it?

Having said that, I thought that one could post stuff on their own site, or
on a public site, with an attribute that would prevent copying. I know that
documents can be posted that can't be edited or printed, one should be able
to protect images from being copied.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Baron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2010
Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

>
> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iakq43$4v8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Joe J Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying
>>> of posted photos.
>>> I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but
>>> if it is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook,
>>> Twitter etc. to send the pictures and make copies.
>>> I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent
>>> the Facebook type sharing.
>>> Do all the sites operate like that?
>>> My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>
>> It is next to impossible to prevent copying in some form ! About all
>> you can do is use a file sharing site that gives you a link that you
>> can pass on to only those people that you want to view the pictures.
>> Of course if a third party then passes on that link it could become
>> public. There are various techniques that you can use to watermark
>> the pictures, at least then you have some proof of ownership.
>>

>
>
>
> Watermarking your work makes it so nobody would even want to copy it.
> Who wants a picture of the Grand Canyon with BOB'S PICTURE watermarked
> across it?


Easy to get rid of with a photo editor or at least disguise. You can
watermark without having any obvious mark.

> Having said that, I thought that one could post stuff on their own
> site, or on a public site, with an attribute that would prevent
> copying. I know that documents can be posted that can't be edited or
> printed, one should be able to protect images from being copied.


A screen grab sorts that one.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
 
Reply With Quote
 
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2010
Joe J wrote:

> Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
> posted photos.
> I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but if it
> is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook, Twitter etc. to
> send the pictures and make copies.
> I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
> Facebook type sharing.
> Do all the sites operate like that?
> My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
>
> Thanks,


Since you decide that someone else can see the photo, they can copy it.
It appears in their web browser. In IE, all they have to do is
right-click and choose Save Picture As. In some other web-facing app
that doesn't have this feature, well, if the user can see it then they
can use a screen capture utility to grab a copy of anything that
displays on their screen.

I don't know what you mean by "Facebook sharing". Might that be the
photo has a URL that anyone could then provide a link somewhere else
(Facebook, their blog site, Twitter, in a .pdf file, or wherever)? The
only way to block that type of access is if the site doesn't permit
direct links to photos stored on their server. That means others would
have to navigate through some menus or links on the site before they
could get to the picture. However, because the site is providing direct
links for your convenience, how would they know that you aren't you just
because your dynamic IP address changed, you were on a different host
when you wanted to see the photo, or you told someone else the URL to
the photo and their IP address is different?

If they can view it, they can copy it. That's because you don't get to
control their host. It shows on their screen. Anything on their host
can be manipulated per their wants. You could use photo sites that
require others to create an account their and to login before they can
view your pics (so you can have a log of who saw what and when and how
often, if the site provides those stats). That would be a big nuisance
to many of your viewers of your photos resulting in far less viewers
ever seeing your photos.

Curious. Just WHERE are you getting these photos in the first place?
Are they really your property? If so, have you copyrighted them or
executed "performance" to document their creation to prove copyright
status? If you're releasing them into the public domain, why do you
think you still have a copyright on them, especially since you are
releasing them in a venue that has worldwide proliferation resulting is
distribution across many countries of varying copyright statutes? You
could add meta (EXIF) data to the photo with your name, copyright info,
and other tags to identify the photo as supposedly yours (if it really
is) but there exist lots of utilities to strip those tags. About the
best you can do is use steganography to encode some copyright text
within the image (but if it's not actually your property than trying to
stamp it as your own could get you in as hot water as you intend onto
others with your invisible "it's mine" stamp). However, no amount of
EXIF data or steganographic stamping is going to keep other users from
copying the photo. If they can see it, they can copy it.

Another possibility is not to distribute your photo in a file format for
images. Instead put the image inside a .pdf file. Then add attributes
on the PDF document to prevent printing and copying. Add an owner
password (and no user password) so others can open the .pdf file to see
the photo inside. However, that still won't prevent users of screen
capture software from grabbing a copy. All you can do is nuisance users
who don't know of or have installed the software needed to snatch of
copy of whatever they can see on their screen. So you nuisance your
regular users but don't really prevent anyone from making a copy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2010
Thanks for all the answers!
Joe J

"VanguardLH" wrote in message news:ial0fr$vd4$(E-Mail Removed)...

Joe J wrote:

> Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
> posted photos.
> I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but if it
> is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook, Twitter etc. to
> send the pictures and make copies.
> I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
> Facebook type sharing.
> Do all the sites operate like that?
> My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
>
> Thanks,


Since you decide that someone else can see the photo, they can copy it.
It appears in their web browser. In IE, all they have to do is
right-click and choose Save Picture As. In some other web-facing app
that doesn't have this feature, well, if the user can see it then they
can use a screen capture utility to grab a copy of anything that
displays on their screen.

I don't know what you mean by "Facebook sharing". Might that be the
photo has a URL that anyone could then provide a link somewhere else
(Facebook, their blog site, Twitter, in a .pdf file, or wherever)? The
only way to block that type of access is if the site doesn't permit
direct links to photos stored on their server. That means others would
have to navigate through some menus or links on the site before they
could get to the picture. However, because the site is providing direct
links for your convenience, how would they know that you aren't you just
because your dynamic IP address changed, you were on a different host
when you wanted to see the photo, or you told someone else the URL to
the photo and their IP address is different?

If they can view it, they can copy it. That's because you don't get to
control their host. It shows on their screen. Anything on their host
can be manipulated per their wants. You could use photo sites that
require others to create an account their and to login before they can
view your pics (so you can have a log of who saw what and when and how
often, if the site provides those stats). That would be a big nuisance
to many of your viewers of your photos resulting in far less viewers
ever seeing your photos.

Curious. Just WHERE are you getting these photos in the first place?
Are they really your property? If so, have you copyrighted them or
executed "performance" to document their creation to prove copyright
status? If you're releasing them into the public domain, why do you
think you still have a copyright on them, especially since you are
releasing them in a venue that has worldwide proliferation resulting is
distribution across many countries of varying copyright statutes? You
could add meta (EXIF) data to the photo with your name, copyright info,
and other tags to identify the photo as supposedly yours (if it really
is) but there exist lots of utilities to strip those tags. About the
best you can do is use steganography to encode some copyright text
within the image (but if it's not actually your property than trying to
stamp it as your own could get you in as hot water as you intend onto
others with your invisible "it's mine" stamp). However, no amount of
EXIF data or steganographic stamping is going to keep other users from
copying the photo. If they can see it, they can copy it.

Another possibility is not to distribute your photo in a file format for
images. Instead put the image inside a .pdf file. Then add attributes
on the PDF document to prevent printing and copying. Add an owner
password (and no user password) so others can open the .pdf file to see
the photo inside. However, that still won't prevent users of screen
capture software from grabbing a copy. All you can do is nuisance users
who don't know of or have installed the software needed to snatch of
copy of whatever they can see on their screen. So you nuisance your
regular users but don't really prevent anyone from making a copy.


 
Reply With Quote
 
adam adam is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
 
      11-04-2010
You can use the latest website for sharing photos i.e postonweb.net

Regards,
Adam
YourSystemAdmins.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
photo sharing service - allow sharing under different names? spoon2001 Digital Photography 2 05-29-2006 03:14 AM
Online Photo Sites - Photo Sharing Larry Digital Photography 3 02-05-2006 10:41 PM
Snapfish - Digital Photo Printing and Free Online Photo Sharing Marketstop Digital Photography 2 07-21-2005 08:07 PM
Setup file sharing and periphial sharing =?Utf-8?B?YmVuanlyYW1h?= Wireless Networking 1 03-19-2005 06:20 PM
File Sharing Intermittent but Pings fine and iTunes Sharing works =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQ2xhcms=?= Wireless Networking 1 12-05-2004 01:07 PM



Advertisments