Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I can't believe the images that wins some photo contests

I can't believe the images that wins some photo contests

RichA

30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
the shot.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...tition-results

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
>rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
>the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
>beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
>the shot.
>
>http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...tition-results

If you look at the winning image and the four runners-up in the same
category, it is easy to see why Vickie Howard's image won in that
category. If you look at the winners of the other categories, I
think Vickie Howard's image is a pretty clear overall winner.

Just scroll down the page you linked to, and click on the eight links
under "Category winners".

You should also judge the winning image on the complete version here
(rather than the cropped version on the page you linked to):

http://preview.tinyurl.com/38su54n
or:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...n-plants-study

Irwell

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 02:19:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
> the shot.
>
> http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...tition-results

The link is to the Royal Horticultural Society's page.
Hardly an enthusiastic photographer's venue, even though a
lot of keen gardenrs like to take pictures.

Me

On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
> the shot.
>
> http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...tition-results

If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
an art.
The photographer claims to have just happened across the rain/light on
the subject, and also happened to have her daughter ready to hold an
umbrella while she took the shot. That would have been very fortuitous
- my skeptical side suspects it might not be 100% true - but anyway
it's the result that matters.

Me

On 1/11/2010 9:32 a.m., George Kerby wrote:

> On 10/31/10 3:19 PM, in article iakj05$d0a$(E-Mail Removed), "Me"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
>>> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
>>> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
>>> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
>>> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
>>> the shot.
>>>
>>> http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...-competition-r
>>> esults
>>>

>> If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
>> Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
>> amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
>> an art.

> It's time RichA gave up.

I suspect that there are a lot of photographers who should probably give
up. IMO equipment fascination / technology attracts many compromised
types - with mild autism spectrum conditions. If your ability for
social communication and interaction is impaired, then communicating
human emotion through art isn't going to be easy. Perhaps some are
savants. I don't believe RichA makes the cut there, unless he's got some
special ability that he's managed to keep secret from the group.

me

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:32:27 -0500, George Kerby
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's time RichA gave up.

Or everyone just killfiled and stopped replying to his drivel.

Robert Coe

:
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
: >> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
: >> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
: >> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
: >> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
: >> the shot.
: >>
: >> http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...-competition-r
: >> esults
: >>
: > If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
: > Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
: > amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
: > an art.
:
: It's time RichA gave up.

On the contrary, if Rich thinks he can do better, his obvious move is to enter
next year's contest. But to expect that of someone who seldom, if ever, even
sends anything to the Shoot-In is, I suppose, a pipe dream.

Bob

Rich

On Oct 31, 6:25*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 10-10-31 17:44 , me wrote:
>

> > Or everyone just killfiled and stopped replying to his drivel.

> I've suggested this in the past and get replies along the line of: "Yes,
> but, it sets off useful discussions."
>
> I've yet to see the useful discussion. *They're mostly stale re-hashes
> with a bottle of stale flat beer. *Not even that good actually.
>
> --
> gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Awwww, is the poor, widdle Sony fan upthet?

Rich

On Oct 31, 8:54*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:32:27 -0500, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> :
> : On 10/31/10 3:19 PM, in article iakj05$(E-Mail Removed), "Me": <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> :
> : > On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
> : >> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
> : >> rain. *A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. *Honestly,
> : >> the image is nothing to write home about. *According to the story, it
> : >> beat out thousands of other shots. *Unbelievable. *Below is a link to
> : >> the shot.
> : >>
> : >>http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...10-photo-compe....
> : >> esults
> : >>
> : > If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
> : > Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
> : > amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
> : > an art.
> :
> : It's time RichA gave up.
>
> On the contrary, if Rich thinks he can do better, his obvious move is to enter
> next year's contest. But to expect that of someone who seldom, if ever, even
> sends anything to the Shoot-In is, I suppose, a pipe dream.
>
> Bob

The only contest I entered was one of the Nikon contests on Dpreview.
I won it, and I did it with an Olympus.

peter

On 11/2/2010 1:05 PM, Rich wrote:
> On Oct 31, 8:54 pm, Robert Coe<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:32:27 -0500, George Kerby<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> :
>> : On 10/31/10 3:19 PM, in article iakj05$(E-Mail Removed), "Me":<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> :
>> :> On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
>> :>> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
>> :>> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
>> :>> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
>> :>> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
>> :>> the shot.
>> :>>
>> :>>http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/P...10-photo-compe...
>> :>> esults
>> :>>
>> :> If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
>> :> Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
>> :> amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
>> :> an art.
>> :
>> : It's time RichA gave up.
>>
>> On the contrary, if Rich thinks he can do better, his obvious move is to enter
>> next year's contest. But to expect that of someone who seldom, if ever, even
>> sends anything to the Shoot-In is, I suppose, a pipe dream.
>>
>> Bob

> The only contest I entered was one of the Nikon contests on Dpreview.
> I won it, and I did it with an Olympus.

You didn't win the prevarication competition?

--
Peter