Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Assignment of local IP

Assignment of local IP

Nomen Nescio

In XP when changing between admin and user accounts with the "switch user" option, I am assigned a different local IP depending on what user or admin account I am logged into. How does the hardware recognize the difference between user A and user B to do this? Is this done at the AP router or within windows itself?

errolfrandy errolfrandy is offline
Junior Member

hi,, it should be windows:
. .u can try t manulally configure the ip settings of your windows: contatc your isp and get the dsn ip address, and subnet mas ( commonly used: 255.255.255.0) and you need to have the ip address also of your modem:

Alfred

Aaron Leonard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I don't know what all y'all are talking about, when you
> say this is impossible.
>
> It is quite possible - likely even - that different users
> will have different wireless profiles. E.g. user "aaron"
> might have a profile that associates to SSID "SuperUsers"
> while user "FerlillwussieDan" might have a profile that
> associates to SSID "IrritatingTrolls". The two SSIDs could
> be in different VLANs, even in completely different

networks,
> and thereby get different IP addresses from different

ranges.

> Aaron

Not sure I understand you. I think the OP was saying he was
getting different IPs using the SAME SSID, but different
internal usernames on an XP system. When he logs on with one
username he gets one IP and with another users name another
IP. This would indicate that the AP/Router can identify
incoming signals identity on paramaters other than MAC
address, based on internal names within the operating system
of the client computer.

Fruity

Aaron Leonard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> I don't know what all y'all are talking about, when you
>>> say this is impossible.
>>>
>>> It is quite possible - likely even - that different users
>>> will have different wireless profiles. E.g. user "aaron"
>>> might have a profile that associates to SSID "SuperUsers"
>>> while user "FerlillwussieDan" might have a profile that
>>> associates to SSID "IrritatingTrolls". The two SSIDs could
>>> be in different VLANs, even in completely different

>>networks,
>>> and thereby get different IP addresses from different

>>ranges.
>>>
>>> Aaron
>>>

>>Not sure I understand you. I think the OP was saying he was
>>getting different IPs using the SAME SSID, but different
>>internal usernames on an XP system. When he logs on with one
>>username he gets one IP and with another users name another
>>IP. This would indicate that the AP/Router can identify
>>incoming signals identity on paramaters other than MAC
>>address, based on internal names within the operating system
>>of the client computer.

> I don't see where the OP stipulated that he/she was using
> the same SSID.
>
> Assuming that the same SSID *is* being used ... it is interesting
> to ponder how or whether the described behavior might come to pass.
> What springs to mind at first pass would be if the DHCP client
> were smart enough to issue a different client ID depending upon
> the logged in user ... perhaps a client ID that even encodes
> the username. The DHCP server could then assign an IP address
> accordingly.
>
> As far as I know, however, the Windows XP DHCP client (when
> operating over a LAN-like adapter) always only uses a DHCP
> client ID of 0x01 followed by the 6-octet MAC address, regardless
> of the logged in username.
>
> Aaron

See the post from Peter Pan. Also in reading about VLANs on wikipedia,
that you mentioned earlier, it appears the host can identify
specifically what system is connecting and issue or deny DHCP or router
access based on many different paramaters, not just MAC/hostname/client
adapter name, thus yielding whatever local IP is desired or none at all
(denial).

But I am not sure how this works. Also if the OS is reported as you
indicate above, that is just another indication of what system is
connecting. I believe they can also triangulate your antennas location
fairly precisely via sensors at various locations.

Jeff often remarks that he throttles or blocks clients he does not like
but have not seem him mention how he does that.

alexd

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Fruity
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> Also in reading about VLANs on wikipedia, that you mentioned earlier, it
> appears the host can identify specifically what system is connecting and
> issue or deny DHCP or router access based on many different paramaters,

> But I am not sure how this works.

802.1x

02:11:36 up 13 days, 5:42, 7 users, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.01
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010