Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Am I doing something wrong? (again!)

Re: Am I doing something wrong? (again!)

Mike Easter

~BD~ wrote:
> This page tells me that a company called Uniblue is a Microsoft 'Gold'
> Certified Partner
>
> http://www.uniblue.com/company/
>
> When I click on 'Verify Uniblue details on Microsoft's partner page' I
> end up here:
>
> https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...eac3905162ca2e

Correct.

> I cannot find any details of Uniblue

MS has poor search tools.

> If I search from this Microsoft page https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com/

That is a good point to start if you use it correctly.

> I *still* cannot find the connection between Uniblue and Microsoft
>
> Please help me to understand why I cannot confirm what Uniblue claim on
> their web site. TIA.

https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com/

says Business Solutions from Microsoft Partners

put uniblue into the search field and change the filter below so that
the country says -not relevant- (at the top)

Then you will get a business solutions result which sez
No solutions found for your search criteria. Please modify your keywords
or search values and try again.

Then change to the tab (which was not available previously) which sez
Partners (the field will still be populated with uniblue) and wait
patiently while the slow search engine works

Then you will get the one result for Uniblue Systems Ltd in Malta

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

~BD~ wrote:

> Surely it should be a tad easier than that?!!!

It was a silly (unnecessary) project.

You can tell the uniblue was on a MS page at/from the link at the
uniblue site.

You seemed to be confused about such as spoofing and phishing.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

~BD~ wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> You seemed to be confused about such as spoofing and phishing.
>>

> I certainly *am* confused!
>
> I'm still awaiting your response in alt.privacy.spyware

That is a stupid and unrealistic test whose purpose is to promote the
verisign product. And apparently it is resulting in an aggravation of
your pre-existing confusion.

> *That* might help clear things up!

The test is unrealistic because it misrepresents to the reader that the
information in the browser addressline is going to be identical for the
true site and the phishing site - in all of the test examples but one
(or two).

The typical phish in a spam message body puts the address 'correctly'
(like the true site) as you see it in rendered html, but the site where
you actually go is not the 'bank' but to another site.

There are several features of the test's example screenshots which were
unrealistic/bogus, such as the status bar showing intranet instead of
something else such as internet.

The test was designed to emphasize looking at/ focusing on/ studying/
the elements of the rendered webpage, which webpage can be made to be
perfect and gave only one test example in which the addressline was
useful. That is not the way it actually is.

The addressline is always useful, unless there is 'something wrong' with
the way the browser is working, in which case you should use some other
tool to detemine what is the web address and path where the page or the
page's frame is actually located.

That is, any time you are looking at a webpage, you should be able to
tell correctly where it - the page - is, whether you have been
redirected or not.

You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell
that the Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.

--
Mike Easter

Peter Foldes

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~BD~ wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> You seemed to be confused about such as spoofing and phishing.
>>>

>> I certainly *am* confused!
>>
>> I'm still awaiting your response in alt.privacy.spyware

> That is a stupid and unrealistic test whose purpose is to promote the verisign
> product. And apparently it is resulting in an aggravation of your pre-existing
> confusion.
>
>> *That* might help clear things up!

> The test is unrealistic because it misrepresents to the reader that the
> information in the browser addressline is going to be identical for the true site
> and the phishing site - in all of the test examples but one (or two).
>
> The typical phish in a spam message body puts the address 'correctly' (like the
> true site) as you see it in rendered html, but the site where you actually go is
> not the 'bank' but to another site.
>
> There are several features of the test's example screenshots which were
> unrealistic/bogus, such as the status bar showing intranet instead of something
> else such as internet.
>
> The test was designed to emphasize looking at/ focusing on/ studying/ the elements
> of the rendered webpage, which webpage can be made to be perfect and gave only one
> test example in which the addressline was useful. That is not the way it actually
> is.
>
> The addressline is always useful, unless there is 'something wrong' with the way
> the browser is working, in which case you should use some other tool to detemine
> what is the web address and path where the page or the page's frame is actually
> located.
>
> That is, any time you are looking at a webpage, you should be able to tell
> correctly where it - the page - is, whether you have been redirected or not.
>
> You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell that the
> Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Verisign has been doing this for a long time. It is their way of Spamming
(advertising their product ) at least since 1995

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Mike Easter

~BD~ wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>

>> You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell
>> that the Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.
>>

> Maybe *you* can - *I* can not!

Why not?

The sp3 came from www.microsoft.com + path; the uniblue cert came from
solutionfinder.microsoft.com + path.

--
Mike Easter

Aardvark

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:34:02 +0100, ~BD~ wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:
>

>> You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell
>> that the Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.
>>

> Maybe *you* can - *I* can not!

WTF?????

no hace mucho tiempo que vivĂ*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, rocĂ*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

Aardvark

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:14:25 +0100, ~BD~ wrote:

> The SP3 came from a post in 24hsg

And what does the SP3 link say between 'www' and '/downloads'?. What does
that tell you about where the link is taking you? When it takes you there
and a download window opens and tells you you're downloading a Portuguese
Win XP SP3 from a microsoft repository, what does *that* tell you?

~BD~ wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> The sp3 came from www.microsoft.com + path; the uniblue cert came from
>> solutionfinder.microsoft.com + path.
>>

> Ummm! Not so.

What do you mean?

> The SP3 came from a post in 24hsg
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...playLang=pt-pt

The URL came from a post, but the location of the URL's target was/is at
www.microsoft.com + (the rest of the) path.

Use this protocol: http://
Go here: www.microsoft.com (which is 65.55.12.249)
Tell the webserver there that you want (per protocol) www.microsoft.com
slash downloads slash etc.
Then the MS webserver will want to hand you the .exe for the .pt sp3.

> +
>
> Uniblue came ........ from the past!

What do you mean?

The Uniblue site *presently* references:

https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...eac3905162ca2e

Use this protocol: https://
Go here: solutionfinder.microsoft.com (which is 131.107.112.53)
Tell the webserver there that you want (per protocol)
solutionfinder.microsoft.com slash Partners slash etc
Then the MS webserver there will hand you the page with the certificate
for Uniblue.

--
Mike Easter

StevieO

You show beyound a doubt that a sucker is born every day.

"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

It wasn't instantaneous. I discussed matters with the Uniblue CEO at the
time (some years ago now!). I'd been directed to a spoof site previously
- by guys at U2U!

Aardvark

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:42:32 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

> A Spoofed URL describes one website that poses as another.

If the URL is in plain text in a plain text medium, it's highly unlikely
to be spoofed.

End of topic.

no hace mucho tiempo que vivĂ*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, rocĂ*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

Update a label on a page while server is doing something else Andrea Moro ASP .Net 1 07-12-2005 07:52 PM
Looking for a program to run on XP to remotely watch what my kids are doing, something like a keylogger. TIA!! Tory Brown Computer Security 45 06-05-2005 03:44 PM
Either I'm doing something wrong or jaxb is crappola Mark XML 0 05-18-2004 11:54 PM
Doing something wrong Chiller C++ 1 04-12-2004 11:57 AM
Re: Testing magnification. Am I doing something wrong? Mark M Digital Photography 14 08-20-2003 12:43 PM

Advertisments