Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is your favorite browser to use and why?

What is your favorite browser to use and why?

Muse Gruppes

For me? (using windows 7) Chrome seems to be the fastest, most
customizable browser out there. I've been doing some browser comparisons
and although there are zillions of add-ons for Firefox, it just goes
incredibly slow most of the time.

Hopefully FF 4 will be speedier. I guess my other 2 favs are Safari and
Opera.

I'd use those more often if there was an add-on to zoom photos bigger
when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.

Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
something.

Stephen Wolstenholme

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:29:29 -0400, Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>For me? (using windows 7) Chrome seems to be the fastest, most
>customizable browser out there. I've been doing some browser comparisons
>and although there are zillions of add-ons for Firefox, it just goes
>incredibly slow most of the time.
>
>Hopefully FF 4 will be speedier. I guess my other 2 favs are Safari and
>Opera.
>
>I'd use those more often if there was an add-on to zoom photos bigger
>when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.
>
>Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
>something.

I have used Chrome since it became available. What I like about Chrome
is the fact that it is fast, simple and does not need any add-ons.

There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
does because I've nothing to hide.

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Bucky Breeder

Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> inquired in the Subject field:

> What is your favorite browser to use and why?

I'm afraid that if they start making them in
China they'll rust out in less than 30 days.

I like Craftsman... because if you wear it out
you can take it back and they'll replace it.

They also have some very pretty and single
ladies who work in that department. Sometimes,
I enjoy engaging in innuendoes until she blushes,
and hesitantly says "Ye-ye-ye-yesss"; then I say
"I need to check with Ace Hardware first and
maybe give you a call back about it sometime."

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and EVERYBODY knows
that the "U" in "UFO" stands for "WTF"!

Repent! The end is near... Or, good luck if there's an apocalypse.

(And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)

VanguardLH

Muse Gruppes wrote:

> For me? (using windows 7) Chrome seems to be the fastest, most
> customizable browser out there. I've been doing some browser comparisons
> and although there are zillions of add-ons for Firefox, it just goes
> incredibly slow most of the time.
>
> Hopefully FF 4 will be speedier. I guess my other 2 favs are Safari and
> Opera.
>
> I'd use those more often if there was an add-on to zoom photos bigger
> when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.
>
> Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
> something.

I tried Chrome for awhile but it became too much of a resource hog on
memory. Why? Because all Chromium derivatives (Google Chrome, SRware
Iron, Comodo Dragon, etc) will load another process for every add-on you
install in Comodo. Yes, unlike what Stephen claims, there are some
add-ons that are required because there is little configurability of
Chromium. For example, while some folks might like to click on dozens
of links on a web page to waste the time and bandwidth to download other
pages in the background, when I click on a link means that I want to go
to that page NOW! You need an add-on to change behavior to switch to
the front a newly opened tab.

After about a month of trialing, I ended up with about a dozen add-ons:
some to change the behavior to my liking (or, at least, to match
behavior possible through configuration with other web browsers) and
some for site/code development. The problem is that a separate process
gets loaded for EVERY add-on. I understand the rationale behind this
decision but don't agree on how it was implemented. Just loading Chrome
or Iron to a blank page (aboutage) ended up with 13 processes
(chrome.exe or iron.exe). That's ridiculous. Yeah, try to figure out
which add-on process belongs with which tab window when they begin to
crash (and they DO crash).

However, it wasn't so much that Chromium loads a dozen or more of its
processes depending on how many add-ons you install. It's their size.
And add-on may be a script that is all of maybe 5KB in size and yet the
process loaded for it take around 10MB (I forget the actual size now but
it was NOT tiny). So when I loaded Chrome or Iron, even to a blank
page, it immediately sucked up somewhere over 60-100MB. Obviously
opening more tabs means more memory consumption. It didn't take too
long of having multiple tabs open to where Chrome or Iron were sucking
up gobs of memory.

If I had a 64-bit version of Windows and had 8GB, or more, or memory
installed than I wouldn't care about this waste of memory. I do care
about it when I'm still using a 32-bit version of Windows and only have
2GB of memory. I don't just surf. I'm doing something else at the time
and often end up surfing while waiting. They really need to reign in
the memory consumption when add-ons are included with the web browser,
especially considering many add-ons are to compensate for the extreme
lack of configurability of this web browser.

One of the reasons why I look at the Chromium derivatives is that
Microsoft is planning to exclude pre-Vista versions of Windows from
support for its version 9 of Internet Explorer. As if that wasn't bad
enough, Mozilla is planning on requiring a minimal processor
(post-Athlon CPUs) for supporting its latest version of Firefox (with
its GPU hardware-assisted acceleration that the latest version of
Chromium provides and will be available in Chromium derivatives when
they move to that version (7?)). So Microsoft is locking out older
versions of Windows with IE9 and Mozilla is locking out older hardware.
I don't see that Google (via Chromium) is looking at locking out either
older Windows users or older hardware but I'm not intimate with the
goings on at chromium.org.

Muse Gruppes

On 10/29/2010 11:57 AM, Bucky Breeder wrote:
> Muse Gruppes<(E-Mail Removed)> inquired in the Subject field:
>>
>> What is your favorite browser to use and why?

> I'm afraid that if they start making them in
> China they'll rust out in less than 30 days.
>
> I like Craftsman... because if you wear it out
> you can take it back and they'll replace it.
>
> They also have some very pretty and single
> ladies who w<snip>

That was a transsexual...She used to be 'Jorge'

VanguardLH

VanguardLH wrote:

> [...]

> especially considering many add-ons are to compensate for the extreme
> lack of configurability of this web browser.
>
> One of the reasons why I look at the Chromium derivatives is that
> Microsoft is planning to exclude pre-Vista versions of Windows from
> support for its version 9 of Internet Explorer. As if that wasn't bad
> enough, Mozilla is planning on requiring a minimal processor
> (post-Athlon CPUs) for supporting its latest version of Firefox (with
> its GPU hardware-assisted acceleration that the latest version of
> Chromium provides and will be available in Chromium derivatives when
> they move to that version (7?)). So Microsoft is locking out older
> versions of Windows with IE9 and Mozilla is locking out older hardware.
> I don't see that Google (via Chromium) is looking at locking out either
> older Windows users or older hardware but I'm not intimate with the

Oh, I forgot to mention why I prefer SRware Iron over Google Chrome
(both are Chromium derivatives).

Google Chrome doesn't let the user choose where to install the program.
It defaults to and forces installation under the %userprofile% path.
This violates de facto security standards in that *data* files are to be
stored there, not executable. Google does this because all users
normally have read AND write permissions in their profile folder and its
subfolders. Google doesn't perform a standard Windows install but
instead deposits its files under %userprofile% and runs from there. If
a user was smart to ensure that malware couldn't run from there, like
from the TIF folder under the profile path, they would change the parent
permissions to disallow execution and inherit to all child objects.
That means Google Chrome (and Google Earth) would install there but
couldn't run from there. The user can't tell the install to put the
program under, say, the %programfiles% path. Despite Google's claims,
they are NOT interested in your security or in following normal security
practices on Windows. SRware Iron lets the user decide where to install
that program, and the default is under the %programfiles% path.

There are several privacy concerns with Google's Chrome, some qualified
and some not. These have been disabled in SRware's Iron.

Google used to include an autoupdater program along with the install of
Chrome. Users could disable its load to prevent Chrome from
auto-updating itself. Google didn't like that so they buried the
auto-updater inside of their Chrome product. So when you load Chrome,
it might update when a new but *minor* version is discovered. The state
of your host changes without your permission. Again, Google isn't
concerned about the security or stability of your host. SRware Iron
doesn't include any auto-updater. If you want to check for a new
version, YOU do the check. It's my host and *I* will decide when
software changes, not the vendor of that software. That includes both
Microsoft (with WU set to notify but NOT download and definitely not
install unless I say so) and Google not allowed to change the state of
my host whenever they feel like it.

Muse Gruppes

On 10/29/2010 12:24 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Muse Gruppes wrote:

<snip>
> One of the reasons why I look at the Chromium derivatives is that
> Microsoft is planning to exclude pre-Vista versions of Windows from
> support for its version 9 of Internet Explorer. As if that wasn't bad
> enough, Mozilla is planning on requiring a minimal processor
> (post-Athlon CPUs) for supporting its latest version of Firefox (with
> its GPU hardware-assisted acceleration that the latest version of
> Chromium provides and will be available in Chromium derivatives when
> they move to that version (7?)). So Microsoft is locking out older
> versions of Windows with IE9 and Mozilla is locking out older hardware.
> I don't see that Google (via Chromium) is looking at locking out either
> older Windows users or older hardware but I'm not intimate with the
> goings on at chromium.org.

I had no idea about that, that's a shame really(hardware/windows version
requirements , K-Meleon is great for older systems, but no add-on
support (that I know of, and if there is it's pretty limited)

As far as memory usage, the older version of Seamonkey (the version
before they started using the current FF engine) seemed to be using the
least amount of memory. I'm addicted to Chrome for the speed.

VanguardLH

Bucky Breeder wrote:

> I like Craftsman... because if you wear it out
> you can take it back and they'll replace it.

The Craftsman brand that mean lifetime warranty is no more. If you buy
anything other than some limited selection of their tools, being
Craftsman does NOT mean you get a free replacement when it breaks. You
have to specifically ask regarding which Craftsman products carry the
lifetime replacement warranty. Last time I checked, only some of their
tools still had that.

Hand tools? Yes, covered. Other "Craftsman" branded items? No
lifetime warranty (just a limited short-term warranty).

Shovels? Yes.
Pruning shears? Yes.
Screwdrivers? Yes.
Electric power drill or other power tools? No.
Lawn mower? No.
Chainsaw? No.
Torque wrench or caliper? No (precision tools not included).
Thumb-bit driver? No (now only sold in multi-paks, not singly).
Power mower? Forget it. Anything powered isn't covered.
Rake? Yes.
Flashlights? Maybe (if bought before 2003, so must have receipt).
Tape measures? Only if it is NOT the blade that is damaged.

The lifetime warranty still applies if you have an old product that was
covered under that warranty. When you get a replacement, the warranty
doesn't transfer and you may get a limited (i.e., 90day) warranty and
which doesn't cover replacement if the product was abused (only if it
was defective). From what I see, only non-powered hand tools are still
covered by a lifetime replacement warranty. Nothing else marked
"Craftsman" is so covered.

Sears have deliberately misled consumers with the Craftsman line to
pretend that their products all carry a super guarantee when it now only
applies to limited selection of their products. So only non-powered
hand tools are covered but even then you have to check. A torque wrench
is not powered yet it isn't covered by the lifetime replacement
warranty. Also, replacements are possible only if they currently carry
the same product or a very similar product. For example, if they
discontinue carrying a framing hammer you bought years ago, they'll give
you a credit towards a new and different model but it's not replaced for
free. That's is, they'll replace with a same product for free but they
won't give you an upgrade for free. Taking in a 25-year Craftsman
branded water hose with brass fittings will require lots of arguing and
stubborness to get a free replacement. Also be aware that replacing
your old product that had a lifetime replacement warranty might end up
getting a replacement that now has a limited short-term warranty (there
is no grandfathering clause to transfer the old warranty).

As for "Made in the USA" slogan, a 2004 lawsuit stopped that as only
"most" of the hand tools (at that time) were made in the USA and *none*
of the powered tools. Many of the parts are made overseas with just the
*assembly* done in the USA. Sears has so confused as to what is or is
not covered by their lifetime warranty that you need to ask on every
purchase and get something in writing that directly applies to the
product you purchase from them to prove what warranty comes with it.
While there is some info at their site (see below), even their sales
folk often don't know what is covered by which warranty.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10...=1288372016427

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

> There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
> does because I've nothing to hide.

You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want *all*
of your data.

(link was posted earlier today
<http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

--
-bts
-Google will get my data when they pry it from my cold dead fingers

Muse Gruppes

On 10/29/2010 2:17 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>
>> There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
>> does because I've nothing to hide.

> You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want *all*
> of your data.
>
> (link was posted earlier today
> <http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

So if they have it (data) what do they do with it? Something malicious?
Do they share it with the Government? I mean is it really that nefarious?