Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Need to connect multiple PCs per AP

Need to connect multiple PCs per AP

janemaritz janemaritz is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

We have a modem connected to a Cisco 506E PIX firewall, connected to a 25-port Cisco switch. We're using the PIX as the DHCP server. One server machine (functioning as DNS server, etc.) connected to the switch, 23 wired desktop connections, and two Netgear wireless access points. The APs have the DHCP function turned off.

Here's the problem - I can connect multiple PCs to each AP, but only one PC per AP can be connected to the server and internet at a time. If I reboot the AP, whichever PC connects first gets the slot, and then no other PC can connect. I need to be able to connect multiple PCs to the server/internet via these APs!

I've configured the same wireless APs elsewhere at our remote sites with no problem - but they were connected via a router to a modem - no server or PIX involved.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

benson26 benson26 is offline
Junior Member

Sorry ,I don't know...

janemaritz janemaritz is offline
Junior Member

I've been directed to check out the switch configuration and see if the ports are limited to one MAC address - I'll be checking that out over the weekend.

Thanks,
Jane

Akilla21 Akilla21 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

You may want to check out the NATing on your PIX. And/or your DHCP scope. If you AP's allow MAC connectivity but you are not receiving an IP either you AP's don't have the correct path to the DHCP server (feature), your Nat doesn't provide a enough usable IP's or your DHCP scope is too, small.

What type of Cisco 25 port switch are you using? Unmanaged or managed? Does it offer DHCP function? Is the switchport connected to PIX trunked? Are all devices on a flat subnet?

I don't recall a PIX FW being able to make dot.1q trunking work or sub-interfaces, so I'm curious know how you are passing L2 traffic to the PIX. Unless, you have the L3 interface on the Switch with a /30 to PIX. The PIX then routes your other subnets on the switch. But then, your Switch would need to route multiple subnets too.

janemaritz janemaritz is offline
Junior Member

I resolved the problem by configuring the switch - a Cisco Catalyst Express 520 Series. The tech company that had installed the switch (and the wireless) had not bothered installing the configuration software, so after software installation and some hacking to connect, I discovered that each port has its own "smartport" settings - each was set by default as a desktop. I changed the two access point ports to "access point", and everything is working fine.

I'm an accidental techie and had no idea that switches could be so "smart," so didn't even think to check out the switch configuration initially.

Akilla21 Akilla21 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Yeah, the beauty of switches, they do more than what we know. Great job with little information.